Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Hybrid Camaro? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3073)

PoPoCamaro 03-04-2008 01:17 PM

Hybrid Camaro?

Just thought I'd post this. Hadn't seen it before. From MT.

GENEVA - General Motors has signed a deal with Hitachi to supply Lithium-Ion batteries for its next-generation mild hybrid technology, due to hit the road in 2010. The GM/Hitachi Vehicle Energy deal also will provide battery technology for the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid, which GM says it's continuing to develop apace. The Hitachi deal is the latest volley in what has become a three-way race to get Li-Ion batteries -- used mainly to power laptop computers -- under the hoods of clean, high-mileage cars.

Mercedes-Benz has apparently taken the lead in that race. It plans to bring an S400 hybrid using Li-Ion by 2009. That car will launch in Europe before the U.S., and probably won't come Stateside until late in that year.

The third player in this race is, of course, Toyota, which is partnering with Panasonic on battery technology (Mercedes hasn't named a battery partner) and showed a plug-in Li-Ion Prius at the Detroit show in January and again here at Geneva.

GM's showcase for its next-generation mild hybrid was the Saab 9-X Biofuel concept, a major hint at that brand's Volvo C30/Audi A3 competitor, which may be imported to the U.S. The 9-X was shown with a 1.4-liter biopower (gas and E85) turbo four (an engine soon to make its way into the Chevy Cobalt), with an electric motor three times as powerful and a battery less than two-thirds the size of the one used in the current Chevy Malibu hybrid and Saturn Aura Greenline. GM plans to have the new mild hybrid technology on the road starting in the 2010 calendar year (likely 2011 model year). Like other major automakers, GM has a number of high-tech toes in the green car/oil independence pool, and this one takes a number of leading edge, but relatively conventional technologies and combines them for incremental fuel economy gains.

Think of Volkswagen's twincharger technology, which uses supercharging for low-end torque and turbocharging for high-end torque on a small-displacement (1.4-liter) engine, but with Honda's IMA hybrid technology in place of that low-end torque blower. Engineers have moved the hybrid system's control unit from the engine to the hybrid system itself, making it easier to adapt to more engines. Bottom line is this; whether or not you see mild hybrids as worthy to be called hybrids, GM will use them in the coming decade to power a much wider range of cars and trucks, taking an incremental, but substantial leap toward reaching stricter Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards. Look for the new system in everything from the next-generation Saturn Aura to maybe even the Cadillac CTS, Chevrolet Camaro and possibly the Corvette starting in the 2011 model year.

radz28 03-04-2008 01:33 PM

BOO!!! Green is bad, M'Kay...

GTAHVIT 03-04-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 49162)

LOL

Kyle2k 03-04-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 49162)

Not if it saves all the fun cars! Soccer moms and killer SUV drivers don't need huge powerful engines.

radz28 03-04-2008 02:46 PM

True 'dat.

DGthe3 03-04-2008 07:57 PM

I wouldn't mind a hybrid Camaro, if it means that I only have to pay a little bit more for the system and it gives a gain of 2 mpg. It might actually pay for itself after a while, unlike a full hybrid system which is a waste of money for cars. Trucks are another story though. Anyhoo, don't take the speculation at the end as anything more than that, speculatoin

stovt001 03-04-2008 10:02 PM

I'd be up for a mild hybrid Camaro. In fact I think that system should be standard on most GM cars. My only concern is that from what I think I know about how it works, I don't think you can get a manual with it.

Mr. Wyndham 03-04-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stovt001 (Post 49334)
I'd be up for a mild hybrid Camaro. In fact I think that system should be standard on most GM cars. My only concern is that from what I think I know about how it works, I don't think you can get a manual with it.

Sure you can!

This system is one of my favorites ;) Because I really don't have to think to hard to understand how it works. :bellyroll:

It's really only a beefed up Alternator, coupled to a big battery. The engine shuts down on low-speed deceleration (i.e. pulling into a parking space, stoplight, or your driveway), and then starts it right back up again the instant the accelerator is pressed. Now, with Li-ion batteries, this will extend the Hybrid's capability and allow for 5mph speeds on all-electric power, like driving down your driveway, or through a parking lot...It doesn't have anything to do with Manual vs Auto transmission.

Well....except for the starting up part. :bonk: I hadn't thought of that...though, it wouldn't be much different from any other start from 0 in a manual. You'd press the gas to start 'er up, and lightly ease in with the clutch, right?

Here's a hot-link to GM's writeup of the Aura/Malibu/Vue Hybrid system.:thumbsup:
http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en...08_LAT_Car.doc

stovt001 03-04-2008 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 49337)
Well....except for the starting up part. :bonk: I hadn't thought of that...though, it wouldn't be much different from any other start from 0 in a manual. You'd press the gas to start 'er up, and lightly ease in with the clutch, right?

Here's a hot-link to GM's writeup of the Aura/Malibu/Vue Hybrid system.:thumbsup:

Yeah it was the stop/start stuff I was thinking of. It just seems like it might be difficult to start and stop with a manual, but I guess you're right, as long as it turns back on with any gas in or clutch out, you'd be fine.

CaptianSam 03-04-2008 11:27 PM

damn i NEED the parking lot idle V8 sound... how am i going to pick up girls with my hot car that sounds like my lego train

GothamCamaro 03-05-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptianSam (Post 49355)
damn i NEED the parking lot idle V8 sound... how am i going to pick up girls with my hot car that sounds like my lego train

:laughabove: :sm0: I would have the same problem!

Grape Ape 03-06-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptianSam (Post 49355)

No problem, just get one of these: http://www.vroombox.com/vroombox/

:D

WillInThe04Ranger 03-06-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 49337)
Sure you can!

This system is one of my favorites ;) Because I really don't have to think to hard to understand how it works. :bellyroll:

It's really only a beefed up Alternator, coupled to a big battery. The engine shuts down on low-speed deceleration (i.e. pulling into a parking space, stoplight, or your driveway), and then starts it right back up again the instant the accelerator is pressed. Now, with Li-ion batteries, this will extend the Hybrid's capability and allow for 5mph speeds on all-electric power, like driving down your driveway, or through a parking lot...It doesn't have anything to do with Manual vs Auto transmission.

Don't they have a electric system that stays on as long as your under a certain speed??

Mr. Wyndham 03-06-2008 07:23 PM

What do you mean?