Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Canada (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Considering a Muffler Delete, Straight Pipes or NOS in Ontario? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39288)

Matster 08-26-2009 10:21 AM

Considering a Muffler Delete, Straight Pipes or NOS in Ontario?

Below is the excerpt from the Highway Traffic Act http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...0h08_e.htm#62.

Muffler

75. (1) Every motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and excessive smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, straight exhaust, gutted muffler, hollywood muffler, by-pass or similar device upon a motor vehicle or motor assisted bicycle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 75 (1).

Same

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to,

(a) a motor-assisted bicycle with an attached motor that is driven entirely by electricity; or

(b) a motor vehicle that is driven entirely by electricity. 2009, c. 5, s. 31.

How about adding a Nitrous oxide fuel systems

Nitrous oxide fuel systems prohibited
172.1 (1) No person shall drive or permit to be driven on a highway a motor vehicle manufactured or modified after its manufacture such that nitrous oxide may be delivered into the fuel mixture unless,

(a) the part of the fuel system that may connect to a canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel capable of containing nitrous oxide can be clearly seen by looking at the interior or exterior of the motor vehicle;

(b) there is no canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel connected to that part; and

(c) if the part of the fuel system that may connect to a canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel capable of containing nitrous oxide is located inside the passenger compartment, there is no canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel capable of containing nitrous oxide in the passenger compartment. 2007, c. 13, s. 22.

Same

(2) No person shall drive or permit to be driven on a highway a motor vehicle manufactured or modified after its manufacture such that nitrous oxide may be delivered into the fuel mixture unless,

(a) the part of the fuel system that may connect to a canister, bottle, tank or pressure vessel capable of containing nitrous oxide is completely disconnected from the part of the system that connects to the engine;

(b) the disconnection can be clearly seen by looking at the interior or exterior of the motor vehicle; and

(c) the disconnected parts cannot be reconnected from inside the passenger compartment. 2007, c. 13, s. 22.

Offence

(3) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $500 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both. 2007, c. 13, s. 22.

ONTARIO = NO FUN ZONE!

canadian ss 08-26-2009 10:46 AM

What about chambered exhaust?
You can have NOS, just not hooked up. You don't need NOS on public roads.

CamaroSpike23 08-26-2009 11:08 AM

meh. run a hidden system with solenoids under the intake manifold.

SoloSK71 08-26-2009 02:55 PM

Why do you need NOS on the street unless you are street racing?

- SK

CanadianCamaro 08-26-2009 03:11 PM

This thread wasn't pointed at me was it Mat? Or are you just jealous of my Noweeds diverters that are currently on their way here? (hey! the act doesn't define diverters and they are technically not just cut-outs... ok it's a stretch). There is a law for everything here. Shall I post the section that discusses front plates? You get my point.

Like everything else, if you're being stupid and causing harm with your (insert minor illegal activity here) then you're asking for trouble. If you get pulled over by a junior cop (notice i said "junior"... Ok i'm not touching that) or one that is having a bad day, you'll probably get a ticket. But if you're reasonable and don't do stupid things then most cops are reasonable as well.

But just out of curiousity, what's the fine for this? Points? (Let's see... no front plate = $110 + cut-outs = $____....)

PS - even at 100% diverted I don't think my LS3 is going to be any louder than some of the older muscle cars we see at the shows that have mufflered systems.

CanadianCamaro 08-26-2009 03:14 PM

Oh... and the beauty of Noweeds - Don't have to be at 100%. Memory feature lets you find that sweet spot and go back to it any time. Likely won't run at 100% open all the time anyway. Only when I want to make mustang owners mess their pants :D

(I sound like a Noweeds salesman. Steve from Noweeds - I'll take that job offer now)

Matster 08-26-2009 04:45 PM

No Scott, not directed at you, Hylton and I had discussed an exhaust system I was looking at and he had mentioned that he thought LT headers were illegal. I was checking out the HTA to see what was in there specifically and notice these two section of the act and thought I would post them more as an FYI.

Still have not found anything on the LT headers yet, it might be under the EPA.

CanadianCamaro 08-26-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matster (Post 847458)
No Scott, not directed at you, Hylton and I had discussed an exhaust system I was looking at and he had mentioned that he thought LT headers were illegal. I was checking out the HTA to see what was in there specifically and notice these two section of the act and thought I would post them more as an FYI.

Still have not found anything on the LT headers yet, it might be under the EPA.

I know - just jokin' with ya. (Bet you're still jealous though :thumbsup:)

HeavyD 08-27-2009 01:38 AM

Here is the some info from the Ontario EPA. Basically they say it is illegal to alter the exhaust unless the replacement parts are "approved replacements" that don't alter the final emissions. So the trick is to find parts that are approved by the outfits listed in 6.1(2).

Catalytic Converters

5. (1) No person shall use leaded gasoline as a fuel to operate a motor vehicle manufactured with a catalytic converter. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 5 (1).

(2) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor vehicle with a catalytic converter if leaded gasoline has ever been used as a fuel in the motor vehicle until the catalytic converter has been repaired or replaced. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 5 (2).

(3) If a motor or motor vehicle is manufactured with a catalytic converter, no person shall alter or cause or permit the alteration of the motor or motor vehicle in a manner that permits exhaust emissions to bypass the catalytic converter. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 4.

(4) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor or motor vehicle that was manufactured with a catalytic converter if the catalytic converter, or any replacement for the catalytic converter,

(a) is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended; or

(b) is disconnected, removed or otherwise altered so that it is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 4.

Visible Emissions

6. (1) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a light vehicle from which there is a visible emission for more than 15 seconds in any five-minute period. O. Reg. 401/98, s. 1; O. Reg. 86/99, s. 5 (1); O. Reg. 343/01, s. 5 (1).

(2) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a heavy vehicle from which there is a visible emission for more than 15 seconds in any five-minute period. O. Reg. 401/98, s. 1; O. Reg. 86/99, s. 5 (2); O. Reg. 343/01, s. 5 (2).

Emission Control Systems or Devices

6.1 The following types of systems and devices are prescribed for the purpose of subsection 22 (4) of the Act:

1. A system or device that is manufactured by the manufacturer of the system or device that is being replaced and,

i. is identical to or equivalent to the system or device that is being replaced, or

ii. is manufactured as a replacement for the system or device that is being replaced.

2. A system or device that is approved by the Bureau of Automobile Repair, the California Air Resources Board, the United States Environmental Protection Agency or another body specified by the Director as a replacement for the system or device that is being replaced. O. Reg. 86/99, s. 6.

7. (1) If a motor or motor vehicle is manufactured with a system or device to prevent or lessen the emission of any contaminant, the following standards are prescribed as additional maximum emission standards for the vehicle:

1. The system or device, or any replacement therefor, must be maintained or kept in such a state of repair that it is capable of performing the function for which it was intended.

2. The system or device, or any replacement therefor, must be kept installed on, attached to or incorporated in the motor or motor vehicle in such a manner that, when the motor or motor vehicle is operating, the system or device functions in the manner in which it was intended to function. O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6.

(2) Every motor vehicle for which emission standards are prescribed in this section shall comply with those standards. O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6.

(3) No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor vehicle that does not comply with subsection (2). O. Reg. 343/01, s. 6.

Matster 08-27-2009 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro (Post 848984)
I know - just jokin' with ya. (Bet you're still jealous though :thumbsup:)

Ya I am and can't wait to hear that bad boy with the system installed.:wub:

Matster 08-27-2009 06:55 AM

Thanks HeavyD for posting Ontario EPA. Still don't see anyting that specifically excludes LT headers assuming that the system meets CARB standards. Am I missing something?

HeavyD 08-27-2009 08:47 AM

Yah, I know. They are very vague. There is a small blerb on hotrod, custom cars and engine and exhaust must meet OEM standards for that year and must meet emission standards. I say the final ruling is as long you install "approved" parts you should be fine. As it is right now, no one makes a LT/cat combo that won't induce a CEL. I would love to install the set from American Racing. But these will require a tune to prevent CEL. As soon as you tune your engine, that's it, no powertrain warranty! I am hoping that somewhere, someone will come out with a 100% bolt on, emission compliant LT and Cat system that won't void your warrant.

now 08-28-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianCamaro (Post 847117)
Oh... and the beauty of Noweeds - Don't have to be at 100%. Memory feature lets you find that sweet spot and go back to it any time. Likely won't run at 100% open all the time anyway. Only when I want to make mustang owners mess their pants :D

(I sound like a Noweeds salesman. Steve from Noweeds - I'll take that job offer now)

You're hired! :thumbsup: wait.... were we hiring?? ill have to check... Ill get back to ya!

Thanks for the kind words. I do agree though, cops generally give out tickets in direct proprtion to how much you deserve one. If you are really screwin' around you won't get much sympathy.

The problem with this Camaro is it looks like its breakin' about 6 laws just sititn there in the parking lot all by itself. So you are already at a disadvantage with the law.

Hylton 08-29-2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyD (Post 849513)
Here is the some info from the Ontario EPA. Basically they say it is illegal to alter the exhaust unless the replacement parts are "approved replacements" that don't alter the final emissions. So the trick is to find parts that are approved by the outfits listed in 6.1(2).

Emission Control Systems or Devices

6.1 The following types of systems and devices are prescribed for the purpose of subsection 22 (4) of the Act:

1. A system or device that is manufactured by the manufacturer of the system or device that is being replaced and,

i. is identical to or equivalent to the system or device that is being replaced, or

ii. is manufactured as a replacement for the system or device that is being replaced.

According to this clause, you can argue that all GMPP stuff is legal in Ontario. Hopefully GMPP will make LT's.