Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   R.I.P. Camaro (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153467)

RestoRoc89 06-17-2011 08:42 PM

R.I.P. Camaro

Hello All,

Although I don't post here often, I am a frequent lurker and have thoroughly enjoyed reading about how others enjoy driving and tweaking their Camaros. For years, I've been a Camaro nut and had amassed a beautiful trio of Camaros (third, fourth and fifth generations)...until two weeks ago. Perhaps some of you can grieve with me for a moment.

Here is my 2010 IOM 2SS/RS in its former glory:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...007_medium.jpg

...and, sadly, here it is after a head-on collision with an SUV:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...4011_large.jpg

Amazingly, I walked away from the incident with no more than a bruised leg and a bloody nose. I am now convinced that this car is an awesome performer in ALL situations. Fortunately, I have full replacement insurance coverage on the car and it will be replaced. However, in terms of my memories and experiences with this car, it is irreplaceable. For all those who still have a shiny Camaro in the driveway, give it a hug for me!

10spokess 06-17-2011 08:43 PM

Sorry about your loss man! are you getting another IOM

jshaf 06-17-2011 08:46 PM

dude, your making me sad :o(.....sorry for your loss. don't know what I would do if I were in your situation!

scruffyluv 06-17-2011 08:48 PM

I think my mouth hit the floor! You are SOO lucky! you cant bring her back, but you can make new memories with a new one!!!

going to hug my sweet baby blue now....

RestoRoc89 06-17-2011 08:48 PM

Thanks for the kind words! I know that what's important is that both parties involved are A-ok. Obviously, I'm still sad that my car was wrenched away from me like that.

I'm currently on the hunt for a 2011 IOM car. I have a potential lead either on an IOM 2SS/RS with IO interior (mine was ebony) or a CGM 2SS/RS. If those options fall through, I will be ordering an IOM 2012 next week. When I first got the car, I was afraid that the color was a bit loud. It grew on me and now no other color will do.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 06-17-2011 08:48 PM

Glad your OK, the car not so much, But you will have time to make memories and experiences with the new one and if i was you and can hold on for 8 months can you say ZL-1.

RAYSRT8 06-17-2011 08:49 PM

Glad you walked away from that! The car can be replaced so as long as you are ok that's what counts.

ohyeahjay 06-17-2011 08:50 PM

Sorry to hear about that, that blows. What's your plans with the car, probably do all right parting it out.

chriscrash37 06-17-2011 08:51 PM

That really sucks ... bad !!

How did it happen that you ended up in a head on collision and how fast were both vehicles going?

2010 SSRS 06-17-2011 08:51 PM

Wow, that is scary, glad you are ok.

heRS 06-17-2011 08:52 PM

Sorry about your car but very glad you are ok. Cars can be replaced. Post pics when you get your new Camaro!

TOMS1SS 06-17-2011 08:53 PM

Damn! WTF happened?

RestoRoc89 06-17-2011 08:56 PM

The insurance company owns the car now and I have a check for MSRP. I'm lucky in that I hadn't made any modifications yet. ZL1 is tempting if I can wait that long...although the Whipple solution has its appeal as well.

In terms of how it happened, I was turning left on an advance signal. The SUV ran the red light doing about 60 mph in a 35 mph zone. Regardless of fault, I still feel like I should have been able to avoid the situation and am beating myself up over it...but there was such a large space between the SUV and the intersection that I never figured he wouldn't stop. My car spun 180 degrees and slid backwards in the open lane about 60 or 70 feet.

TOMS1SS 06-17-2011 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RestoRoc89 (Post 3353388)
The insurance company owns the car now and I have a check for MSRP. I'm lucky in that I hadn't made any modifications yet. ZL1 is tempting if I can wait that long...although the Whipple solution has its appeal as well.

In terms of how it happened, I was turning left on an advance signal. The SUV ran the red light doing about 60 mph in a 35 mph zone. Regardless of fault, I still feel like I should have been able to avoid the situation and am beating myself up over it...but there was such a large space between the SUV and the intersection that I never figured he wouldn't stop. My car spun 180 degrees and slid backwards in the open lane about 60 or 70 feet.

Yeah believe me there isn't anything you can do about stuff like that sometimes. Look at this way I had a similar accident in Coronado California last year. The driver ran the stop sign and I had the misfortune of not being in a car.:yikes: Glad your alright, sorry to hear about the car it looks almost exactly like mine.:(