Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Standard vs Automatic Racing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101297)

OrangeChevyII 10-07-2010 10:06 PM

Stock for stock the stick is faster, hands down end of discusion.

Yes I put an auto in my car, the sequential trans that LG offers is like 20 grand. My TH400 was 2 grand. Ha!

SRT10KLLR 10-08-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeChevyII (Post 2417584)

Yes I put an auto in my car, the sequential trans that LG offers is like 20 grand. My TH400 was 2 grand. Ha!

Agreed, but remember the stick has 26hp more and less drive train loss which makes the 26hp about 40hp to the wheels.

danhr 10-08-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

So a stock third generation camaro with a stick is faster than the auto?

Last I recall the 700r4 was roughly 0.7 seconds faster than the t-5, in the 1/4 mile

maxpower5 10-08-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

i love it - you hang on to that. problem is that most cannot drive the manual so they're faster. you seem to be an exception from replies on here. so, having said that, the auto is faster.

OrangeChevyII 10-08-2010 06:59 PM

stick is faster.

nhra stocker 10-08-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpower5 (Post 2420669)
i love it - you hang on to that. problem is that most cannot drive the manual so they're faster. you seem to be an exception from replies on here. so, having said that, the auto is faster.

You should have came down to St. louis tonight. There wasnt a stock auto to my knowledge with in a half a second of my worst E.T. My best being a 12.79 at 110.79. That still beats the Fastest an auto has ever ran.

BlaSSt Off 10-09-2010 01:35 AM

I ran several autos when my car was stock. It was my first time at the track with this car, and we were all stock except one auto had shorty headers and CAI and I beat that one to. I was ATLEAST 1/2 second faster EVERY time. So is that because there are people that dont know how to drive the auto to and the fastest A6s are freak drivers to?

What it boils down to is that if your around the 10sec. mark, then the auto is faster but if your above 11s, the stick is faster when the drivers are about the same.

Time slips are time slips. I never understood the corrected times BS. Your ET is what it is.

maxpower5 10-09-2010 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhra stocker (Post 2421718)
You should have came down to St. louis tonight. There wasnt a stock auto to my knowledge with in a half a second of my worst E.T. My best being a 12.79 at 110.79. That still beats the Fastest an auto has ever ran.

always love the track. im sure it was a blast (always is for me). im sure there are many autos beat by manuals, but also many manuals beat by autos. im sure this discussion could go on forever.

my best time with my auto is 12.9 - that was at high 80s temp, high humdity, and da of 1940. i dont know what it ran stock for 1/4 mile - the 12.9 is with cai, exhaust and tune. im sure that if i ran my ca now - temp, humidity, and da lower, i would be running 12.6s. im going to cordova dragway 10/17 for 1 last time. will be curious to see what i shave off.

either way i love the camaro - m6 or a6!!

CFD 10-09-2010 06:58 AM

This discussion could go on forever but auto guy's you must face the facts. These two cars are almost identical with the exception of 26 h.p.. The manual car is physically faster. Driver ability does play a big role. Another thing when comparing cars times slips is not always an inication of who is faster. If you guys are bracket racing you may be driving your cars as consistantly as you can but not necessarily the fastest you can.

maxpower5 10-09-2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFD (Post 2422414)
This discussion could go on forever but auto guy's you must face the facts. These two cars are almost identical with the exception of 26 h.p.. The manual car is physically faster. Driver ability does play a big role. Another thing when comparing cars times slips is not always an inication of who is faster. If you guys are bracket racing you may be driving your cars as consistantly as you can but not necessarily the fastest you can.

down the road, the auto is better for big power and times - thats where ill be eventually.

CFD 10-09-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxpower5 (Post 2422418)
down the road, the auto is better for big power and times - thats where ill be eventually.

That's why I drive an auto!

Toyaholic 10-09-2010 07:17 AM

Cons of a M6:
Every time you have to shift, there's a chance to mess up! Launches are harder to stay consistant. Launch control overpowers the rear wheels(that's why I turn it ALL off).

Pros:
It's fun.... no... I mean it's real fun. OMG IT'S FUN!:burnrubber:

Supercharged SS 10-09-2010 07:17 AM

For us peeps thats can't drive the stick its much less of a headache. It allows guys to concentrate on going straight which is more important. I have to give you stick guys all the credit for being able to do such a gd job shifting and not screwing up, missing gears, hitting the limiter, etc. I guess it comes with experience.

maxpower5 10-09-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFD (Post 2422424)
That's why I drive an auto!

;). going to the track here in a week - hoping to shave off .2 to .3 sec off my 1/4 mi et. - temps will be about 30 degrees cooler and da will be lower. always a good time!