Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   SOLO Axle-back or Flowmaster Outlaw? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186939)

somewhatdamaged 12-08-2011 02:19 PM

SOLO Axle-back or Flowmaster Outlaw?

Hi all,
I'm getting that itch again - want a bit more growl from my exhaust. I'm looking at the Flowmaster Outlaw or the SOLO Axle-back with J-Pipes. I'm gonna stay with mild mods (Vararam no tune, and axle-back) no headers or anything else. I have a M6 and my concern is drone. I know the SOLO won't have it, not sure on the Flowmaster Outlaw. They look to be both straight pipe style, with the Flowmaster's having the smallish resonator type muffler. I'm running Super 44's right now welded in, and NO drone except a very small and very tolerable bit in 6th gear. I'm extremely sensitive to drone and so when I say very tolerable I totally mean it. I think this lack of drone is due to the stock cats, not sure but that's my best guess. Opinions? Experience with either? Which is louder? Which is more of a true muscle sound?

Thanks!
Somewhatdamaged :chevy:

Juiced1 12-08-2011 03:34 PM

Personally, I'd go with the Solo. If drone is a concern then it should be a no brainer. Flowmaster sounds great but a good deal of their systems have drone issues.

Dynomax Exhaust 12-08-2011 06:02 PM

No drone? Check
Axle-back? Check
Something else to consider as well in your search.

http://www.dynomax.com/application_i...l-engine-38494

flowmann 12-11-2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged (Post 4136924)
Hi all,
I'm getting that itch again - want a bit more growl from my exhaust. I'm looking at the Flowmaster Outlaw or the SOLO Axle-back with J-Pipes. I'm gonna stay with mild mods (Vararam no tune, and axle-back) no headers or anything else. I have a M6 and my concern is drone. I know the SOLO won't have it, not sure on the Flowmaster Outlaw. They look to be both straight pipe style, with the Flowmaster's having the smallish resonator type muffler. I'm running Super 44's right now welded in, and NO drone except a very small and very tolerable bit in 6th gear. I'm extremely sensitive to drone and so when I say very tolerable I totally mean it. I think this lack of drone is due to the stock cats, not sure but that's my best guess. Opinions? Experience with either? Which is louder? Which is more of a true muscle sound?

Thanks!
Somewhatdamaged :chevy:

Somewhatdamaged – Your current system sounds like it’s perfect for you if your ears are sensitive, but if you want aggressive…look no further than our Outlaw Axle-Back. We’re sure there are a few Outlaw customers here that can chime in with opinions on how their kits sound at different RPMs.

We love watching this video.

somewhatdamaged 12-11-2011 11:41 PM

Thanks for the reply flowmann....I really like the aggressiveness of the Outlaw, just not sure on the true volume/drone difference from the Super 44's. In your opinion, how much louder are they? Would the 1 chamber Super 10's be an in between volume?

VR Baron 01-25-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged (Post 4151567)
Thanks for the reply flowmann....I really like the aggressiveness of the Outlaw, just not sure on the true volume/drone difference from the Super 44's. In your opinion, how much louder are they? Would the 1 chamber Super 10's be an in between volume?

Ls3 is different the the L99. L99 drone seemed to be in the 2300-3000 rpm range so on the freeway is minimal at 65-75. I have them on my Stock LS3 and drone is bad in the 1500-2300 rpm range right where you dont want it. Resonated X pipe reduced it to the 1500-1800 rpm range, made it less and less decel popping which was also alot.Tone is a bit more quiet though to.

Aldo68 01-25-2012 11:24 PM

I have the Solo Axle Back with J-Pipes and they don't have any drone. At cruising speed the sound is not that loud, however the system could really be heard when I hit the gas, enough to set off car alarms. I have an A6 so the AFM and drone was a real concern which was the reason I when with the Solo exhaust.

Buffnshine 01-26-2012 12:29 AM

I love my Outlaws. I have no drone on my L99 that I can detect and I have shown it many times. That being said I have an H pipe and no resinators. What will be interesting is how it sounds with the Long Tube and High flow cats that are being installled.