Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Break-in and Track Prep (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265648)

CrystalRedTintcoat 12-13-2012 02:12 AM

Break-in and Track Prep

Thoughts on the owner's manual for break in and Racing prep? See pages:

9-16
9-6
9-7

This is informational only. Only refer to and follow what's in the YOUR owner's book.
  • High performance brake fluid before racing
  • Rear axle fluid change after break in and before racing then after every 24 hours of racing
  • Rear differential cooler - optional if you do lots of racing
  • Brake burnishing (that will be a fun day!!!)
  • Full throttle starts
  • 4000 RPMs
  • Single speed driving
  • 80mph
  • Downshifting RPM limit
  • No racing
  • No hard cornering
  • No hard stop

Lumino1LE 12-13-2012 01:43 PM

Great info, CRT.

Does anyone have a .pdf of the owner's manual?

cornerspeed92 12-13-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat (Post 5910162)
Thoughts on the owner's manual for break in and Racing prep? See pages:

9-16
9-6
9-7

This is informational only. Only refer to and follow what's in the YOUR owner's book.
  • High performance brake fluid before racing
  • Rear axle fluid change after break in and before racing then after every 24 hours of racing
  • Rear differential cooler - optional if you do lots of racing
  • Brake burnishing (that will be a fun day!!!)
  • Full throttle starts
  • 4000 RPMs
  • Single speed driving
  • 80mph
  • Downshifting RPM limit
  • No racing
  • No hard cornering
  • No hard stop

I read that too,and talked to my dealer about it.He said that they wouldn't send this car out if it wasn't track ready.We looked at the brake res. and it says dot 3,which isn't high performance fluid.I know the service director,and he is into high performance and seems to know what he is talking about,but i wonder.Does anyone have an informed answer to what if any thing should be done?

LSxJunkie 12-13-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 (Post 5912221)
I read that too,and talked to my dealer about it.He said that they wouldn't send this car out if it wasn't track ready.We looked at the brake res. and it says dot 3,which isn't high performance fluid.I know the service director,and he is into high performance and seems to know what he is talking about,but i wonder.Does anyone have an informed answer to what if any thing should be done?

Your dealer isn't into high performance if he's going to send you out to a track day in a 4000lb car with Delco Supreme II. You're going to boil that fluid quickly and find yourself with much less brake than you need. Frankly, I wouldn't go back to him after advice like that. You always track prep your car. I would go a step further and get a set of track pads as well.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to flush your diff after your first track day. You're going to be putting it through more abuse than most street cars see in a lifetime.

cornerspeed92 12-13-2012 06:35 PM

Thanks

Synner 12-13-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxJunkie (Post 5912437)
Your dealer isn't into high performance if he's going to send you out to a track day in a 4000lb car with Delco Supreme II. You're going to boil that fluid quickly and find yourself with much less brake than you need. Frankly, I wouldn't go back to him after advice like that. You always track prep your car. I would go a step further and get a set of track pads as well.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to flush your diff after your first track day. You're going to be putting it through more abuse than most street cars see in a lifetime.

+1
He's never raced anything.

tramtwo 12-13-2012 06:59 PM

If this car was track ready it would not have the brakes and clutch sharing the same reservoir .

bannonm 12-13-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramtwo (Post 5912787)
If this car was track ready it would not have the brakes and clutch sharing the same reservoir .

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxJunkie (Post 5912437)

I use Motul 600 which is DOT 4 and a racing brake fluid and still had brake fade at the end of the day. That OE DOT3 stuff will do OK for parking lot racing, but on a track it will fail. You will find if you track, you're going to need to bleed brakes often to refresh the fluid and change out once a year. You should also change rear diff fluid more frequently too. I dumped my rear diff fluid at 2500 miles with no racing at that point. I was surprised at the amount of metal that was stuck to the magnetic plug. I'm changing mine now at 10 hours of track use.

LSxJunkie 12-14-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bannonm (Post 5913097)
+1

I use Motul 600 which is DOT 4 and a racing brake fluid and still had brake fade at the end of the day. That OE DOT3 stuff will do OK for parking lot racing, but on a track it will fail. You will find if you track, you're going to need to bleed brakes often to refresh the fluid and change out once a year. You should also change rear diff fluid more frequently too. I dumped my rear diff fluid at 2500 miles with no racing at that point. I was surprised at the amount of metal that was stuck to the magnetic plug. I'm changing mine now at 10 hours of track use.

Are you running cooling ducts? What pads?

dirkdoesdirt 12-14-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumino1LE (Post 5911613)
Great info, CRT.

On the Canada site, go to the search box and put in ""Owners Centre"
Then enter 2013 Camaro and scroll down. You will see a dnld 'able pdf of the owners manual

LRJet35 12-14-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumino1LE (Post 5911613)
Great info, CRT.

2013 Camaro Coupe owners manual

VR1LE 12-14-2012 01:26 PM

I am putting in Motul RBF600 and breaking in at the track. That is a long list on my current track car I do only brake fluid and oil changes every 100 laps

Lumino1LE 12-14-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRJet35 (Post 5916565)

Thank you LRJet.

cornerspeed92 12-14-2012 06:13 PM

This is all good info,and has me thinking.I put a thread on the ZL1 guys and asked what was in their cars,and they said DOT 3 as well.One guy said they ship with DOT 3 cause moisture absorbs faster in DOT 4,but they switched.As i was so patiently(not really it was hell waiting for something so cool)waiting for my 1LE, everything i read about write up's about this car, was no brake fade even after being on the track all day.