Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Summer Tires in Winter (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39685)

5thgencamaro11 08-28-2009 01:16 PM

Summer Tires in Winter

Anybody planning on driving the Camaro 20 inch summer tires in the winter if so how do you think they will hold up?

67 Convertible 08-28-2009 01:34 PM

I'm planning on driving mine year round...not sure what kind of traction I'll get in cold weather though. I understand the traction is poor under 40 degs. even on clear dry roads. On snowy days I'll drive my 4WD pick up, but if the roads are clear I'll be driving the Camaro. Wish we could have had an "all season radial" option when ordering the 20" wheels.

ppphfwhatever 08-28-2009 01:39 PM

Don't think I would be able to get up the driveway on the RS Tires, gonna go with Blizzak LM-60's. Def worth it.

tjd24 08-28-2009 01:40 PM

Do not even try to run the summer tires in Winter - there will be no traction whatsoever and you'll be putting yourself/passengers/Camaro/other drivers at-risk.

I am changing over to All Seasons - haven't decided on using RS rims though I don't want to subject them to salt/sand/etc. nor wash them constantly - or - buying inexpensive rims. Either way I am using October 15 as my cut-off.

Rogue Leader 08-28-2009 01:41 PM

From someone who has attempted to drive in cold weather in my vette on summer tires, BAD idea. They are like driving on marbles when the temp is consistently under 40 degrees.

I will be replacing mine with a set of All seasons soon for the winter....

HEMI DAVE 08-28-2009 01:42 PM

Your A-hole is gonna pucker hard if you use those in the snow/cold.

67 Convertible 08-28-2009 01:54 PM

So you guys have convinced me not to drive the summer tires in cold weather. So you buy a set of wheels with winter tires...is it necessay to buy the tire pressure sensors? I could care less if the DIC doesn't tell me what the tire pressure is in the winter. I'm capable of checking the tire pressure manually. The sensors add another $240 to the package deal. What would be the damage or problem of mounting tires and wheels without the sensors?

philthy 08-28-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader (Post 856308)
From someone who has attempted to drive in cold weather in my vette on summer tires, BAD idea. They are like driving on marbles when the temp is consistently under 40 degrees.

I will be replacing mine with a set of All seasons soon for the winter....

I can vouch for that..perfectly dry roads at 40 degrees on summer tires = sideways (or worse)

UCF w00t 08-28-2009 02:03 PM

I'll be driving mine year round.

Oh yea, what's winter?

P.S... no matter how many times this comes up and no matter how many times I post nearly the same exact thing it never gets old.

ppphfwhatever 08-28-2009 02:05 PM

advantage= save money
disadvantage=deal with stupid warning on the DIC

SilverIce1 08-28-2009 02:07 PM

TPMS is a very good safety measure so I say spend the money. I went to lunch the other day and all the tires looked fine, but when I started her up the DIC showed me I had the driver rear tire at 15 lbs. Turned out I took a nail in through the tread and inside it took out a chunk of the sidewall. If I had driven like that I probably would have had a blowout.

While I waited for the new tire to be shipped in I got so very tired and annoyed by the TPMS warning I could scream...

67 Convertible 08-28-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverIce1 (Post 856421)
TPMS is a very good safety measure so I say spend the money. I went to lunch the other day and all the tires looked fine, but when I started her up the DIC showed me I had the driver rear tire at 15 lbs. Turned out I took a nail in through the tread and inside it took out a chunk of the sidewall. If I had driven like that I probably would have had a blowout.

While I waited for the new tire to be shipped in I got so very tired and annoyed by the TPMS warning I could scream...

Is the warning a constant audible, or just shows a visual warning on the screen?

rmpackers 08-28-2009 02:18 PM

OK, stupid question here. Just keep in mind I am a blonde!;) Since the car is rear wheel drive do we need all weathers on just the back or all around? And I think I remember reading the F-bodfather saying that Pirelli has all-weather tires.

philthy 08-28-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmpackers (Post 856470)
OK, stupid question here. Just keep in mind I am a blonde!;) Since the car is rear wheel drive do we need all weathers on just the back or all around? And I think I remember reading the F-bodfather saying that Pirelli has all-weather tires.

all around...just rear will help, but not doing the fronts is unsafe and will result in loss of control.