Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   L99 Oil Leak? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460941)

Walsh2011 07-23-2016 07:14 PM

L99 Oil Leak?

I just got a 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS and its leaking some oil... I noticed a pancake sized spot when I pulled the car out the other day. It appears to be coming from the filter. I noticed some oil hanging from the bottom of the filter.
It might just not be tight enough to make a good seal, (I hope). Also, I think it only leaks when the engine is cold. I drove it for about 2 hours and then parked it for about 3 hours. I went out to the garage and looked under it and there was no oil... However, the next morning, I noticed it leaked the same amount of oil. I'm thinking its a bad seal at the oil filter, but I could be wrong. I'm going to be changing the oil and filter tomorrow. Does anyone think it could be something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speedzalot 07-23-2016 07:21 PM

Probably the filter itself , if tightening more doesn't do it just buy a good filter & change out the oil while your at it :) , I like mobil 1 or amsoil :/

Sboodanian 07-23-2016 07:23 PM

I recently purchased a 2014 Camaro SS from a Lexus Dealership. The car only had 11970 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. A week later I noticed oil spots when I reversed my car from a local shopping mall. After careful inspection I saw that it was coming from the oil filter. Long story short, I took it to the dealership who said it was from the filter. They changed it and it stopped.

68rs.ss396 07-24-2016 03:25 AM

Some times the oil cooler adapter leaks also . gasket and Oring at the block. I just changed the oil in my 2010 ss and noticed a small amount of oil on the bottom of the cooler @ 15,000 miles I will be replacing gasket and o ring

drew peacock 07-24-2016 03:45 AM

will be the crap ac delco filter

purolator or k&n will cure it.

i had the same problem

chuckie669 07-24-2016 07:21 AM

Hopefully the filter.

Did they change the oil when you purchased. I always change the oil and clean everything up on a new purchase so i can analyze any potential issues. I'm a pessimist so feel like buying a used car, it will always have problems as if it was perfect the owner would still have it

Smokin19 07-24-2016 07:23 AM

I had the same problem after dealer did an AC Delco filter change. After researching found out these filters are having problems everywhere. Going back to using only WIX filters like on my previous muscle cars.

drew peacock 07-24-2016 08:42 AM

ac delco are just cardboard inside..avoid like the plague
take a look on some you tube videos

rontammy0 07-24-2016 09:18 AM

This happened to me as well....the filter itself wasn't that tight....snug ..but not enough.I took my phone layed down on the garage floor and hit record. Reached under as far as I could to get a close look. Also took some photos the same way. Worked great.

Walsh2011 07-24-2016 09:44 AM

L99 Oil Leak?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckie669 (Post 9220073)
Hopefully the filter.

Did they change the oil when you purchased. I always change the oil and clean everything up on a new purchase so i can analyze any potential issues. I'm a pessimist so feel like buying a used car, it will always have problems as if it was perfect the owner would still have it

I don't know when the oil was last changed. I just bought the car on Wednesday. It's not dark at all, but I was planning on changing it as soon as I got it anyways. Then, when i noticed the leak, it made me want to change it even more.

Also, the oil filter is white, I thought that AC Delco filters were blue?

pbeyer2010 07-24-2016 12:50 PM

It's the filter , junk it and get a Mobil 1 or wix filter

Tenring 07-24-2016 01:13 PM

As mentioned, change the oil and filter.

Trob85 07-24-2016 04:50 PM

Could be the filter OR the factory oil coolers are known to have leaks. Mostly antifreeze but sometimes can leak oil. Mine would leak when it sat over night when the seals shrunk there was always a little puddle of stuff.

Walsh2011 07-24-2016 07:21 PM

UPDATE: I jacked the car up tonight enough to reach under it. I grabbed the filter and it was not tight at all! I turned it at least 1/3-1/2 turn before it started to grab. I tightened it up and wiped the oil off. I'm sure that was the problem. Also, it was some off brand filter( I don't remember the name). I also checked the oil and it was a little low. So, tomorrow I'll buy some oil and a new filter and I'll change it. Mobil 1 seems popular. Any other suggestions? I appreciate everyone's responses!