Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ? for those with Magnaflow Comp Catback. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66788)

Dano 02-20-2010 12:02 PM

? for those with Magnaflow Comp Catback.

I have searched the forum and can't find any who has asked before so here goes. Exhaust is the 16482 2.5" Magnaflow Comp. Series.

Are the D/S & P/S mid pipes supposed to touch the cross member support that goes on near the end of the heatshield? I think I may have installed the muffler sub assembly upside down. The directions were not very clear.

The car has a drone while curising around 65-72 MPH, it is always there while in 6th gear between 1800-2100 RPM. This is right at the crusing speed.

So just wondering if anyone else with this set up has any drone there and if there pipes touch that cross member support.

Thanks for any help or advice you may have.

SGOS252382 02-20-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano (Post 1502704)
I have searched the forum and can't find any who has asked before so here goes. Exhaust is the 16482 2.5" Magnaflow Comp. Series.

Are the D/S & P/S mid pipes supposed to touch the cross member support that goes on near the end of the heatshield? I think I may have installed the muffler sub assembly upside down. The directions were not very clear.

The car has a drone while curising around 65-72 MPH, it is always there while in 6th gear between 1800-2100 RPM. This is right at the crusing speed.

So just wondering if anyone else with this set up has any drone there and if there pipes touch that cross member support.

Thanks for any help or advice you may have.

I have the Magnaflow street and I know what you're talking about as far as the exhaust making contact with the crossmember. My Magnaflow street also made contact with the crossmember (caused a bad vibration noise). We had to re-adjust everything so that the exhaust wouldn't make contact anymore (1/2'' clearance).
You can also purchase a new crossmember that provides more clearance. There's a couple companies that sell them. If you can't get the exhaust away from the crossmember, that might be something to look into.

Dano 02-20-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGOS252382 (Post 1502805)
I have the Magnaflow street and I know what you're talking about as far as the exhaust making contact with the crossmember. My Magnaflow street also made contact with the crossmember (caused a bad vibration noise). We had to re-adjust everything so that the exhaust wouldn't make contact anymore (1/2'' clearance).
You can also purchase a new crossmember that provides more clearance. There's a couple companies that sell them. If you can't get the exhaust away from the crossmember, that might be something to look into.

How do you like the Kooks? I have been looking into those also and thanks for the info.

Hyp 02-20-2010 02:35 PM

I have the 3" system from magnaflow with kooks LT headers and cats. The drone is tolerable but its def loud. It does touch the cross member but they put a piece of rubber between it so I dont hear any clinging. I love how deep the sound is with this system!

SGOS252382 02-20-2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano (Post 1502879)
How do you like the Kooks? I have been looking into those also and thanks for the info.

Love the Kooks. They fit great and I went from 12.9 to 12.5 in the 1/4 mile.

b737swaca 02-20-2010 02:52 PM

I have the 16580 cat back comp series. When first installed there was little clearance and it would hit the crossmember when I would hit a bump. I loosened all the clamps and rotated the pipes to give more clearance and now it is fine. Hope you can do the same.

Sherwood SS 02-21-2010 08:25 PM

I have the 16580 too and it hit as well. you can use a couple of spacers to give it extra room to it won't hit. I had to loosen the whole system and retighten it to get it to sit right. This exhaust systems sounds awesome!

MarylandSpeed 02-21-2010 11:14 PM

If you loosen the whole system, there should be enough clearance to push it up some, and then retighten.

Dano 02-22-2010 07:44 PM

Thanks for all the input everyone. I will loosen it all up and make the adjustmets. I hope it helps.

Dano 02-26-2010 02:00 PM

Well it's all fixed now. I loosened up everything and made the adjustments. It sounds great now. The drone is gone and so is the vibration it had. It sounds like it should now. Thanks for all the help everyone.

b737swaca 02-26-2010 03:59 PM

:w00t: