Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Wet Vs. Dry (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141033)

mpiper 04-13-2011 11:07 PM

Wet Vs. Dry

Nitrous experts, please help me learn more about nitrous in the camaro.

I've never owned or worked on a nitrous assisted car. Seen 'em, ridden in one. But never owned or built one. Here's what I know so far:

Wet systems feed fuel and nitrous in the kit.
Dry systems feed nitrous only, relying on the MAF to adjust the fuel.

I only want a small boost, just enough to kick the car up to around 400 hp at the crank. That's with a Exterior-air fed CAI, exhaust, tune, and maybe shorty headers. So thats around 55-75 HP in the kit? That seems to be perfect for a dry kit.

I also want to be able to remove the nitrous in an evening leaving almost no sign it existed, in case I want to take it to the dealer in the morning and don't was a "blanket" void. It seems to me that the dry kits are easier to remove since they don't splice into the fuel system.

HOWEVER; no one seems to be running dry nitrous. So what am I missing?

Does anyone know of a kit (or manufacturer who has loose parts) that would be easy to remove without visible changes to the engine bay. I'm guessing Dry, but I don't really care which type, I just want the best for my scenario.

scrming 04-14-2011 05:50 AM

You rarely see dry kits anymore due to the fact that cars now use what is known as a returnless fuel system. Do some research on return style vs returnless...

Basically with a returnless fuel system it is a LOT simpler to just do a wet shot. There are ways to to do a dry shot, but usually involves quite a bit of tuning... and on some cars you would end up replacing things like injectors...

As far as not knowing a kit was installed... think you could do that with any kit... once removed the only think would be the plug in the intake tube where the nozzle was installed and maybe a couple of screw holes where the solenoids were mounted...

mpiper 04-14-2011 03:16 PM

Gotcha. So our fuel system is not dry-friendly.

So (stupid question coming) what is a shraeder valve? Based on some threads, that seems a location people are using so they don't have to cut the actual fuel line. Is this a location that, when the NOS is removed the valve will look stock?

Too bad on the dry system. they seem to run about $200 cheaper. Oh, well. In the long run, not a big difference when you cound the cost of bottle refills, etc.

usa1camaro1969 04-14-2011 08:54 PM

Schraeder valve is a port used to test fuel pressure. It has a needle kind of like in a tire valve stem. On our cars it is on the passenger's side on top along the fuel line. To hook into it you take off the cap(which is there to get dirt/debris from settling in the port) remove the needle(like removing one from a valve stem) and you now have an open port to run your fuel line. I kept the needle and cap in case I need to do exactly what you're talking about.
On the wet vs dry setups. It's easier to tune with a fuel jet than trust that the maf is going to adjust fast enough every time. On a dry setup it is injected around the filter area and that means it is passing over that maf. I know it's probably completely safe but I'd rather not subject the maf to that abuse because all it takes is one time for it not to add additional fuel and you're going to go boom.
You can talk to other people that have more experience with it. I would suggest checking the NitroDave website(google) and maybe talking with some of his reps.

DarkneSS 04-14-2011 09:05 PM

Wet kit!

Nique303 04-15-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 (Post 3096926)
Schraeder valve is a port used to test fuel pressure. It has a needle kind of like in a tire valve stem. On our cars it is on the passenger's side on top along the fuel line. To hook into it you take off the cap(which is there to get dirt/debris from settling in the port) remove the needle(like removing one from a valve stem) and you now have an open port to run your fuel line. I kept the needle and cap in case I need to do exactly what you're talking about.
On the wet vs dry setups. It's easier to tune with a fuel jet than trust that the maf is going to adjust fast enough every time. On a dry setup it is injected around the filter area and that means it is passing over that maf. I know it's probably completely safe but I'd rather not subject the maf to that abuse because all it takes is one time for it not to add additional fuel and you're going to go boom.
You can talk to other people that have more experience with it. I would suggest checking the NitroDave website(google) and maybe talking with some of his reps.

i tapped straight into my fuel line and used the T fiitting to branch off into the zex controller dont do it like mine if you want to return it to dealer

not my set up but mine looks like this

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/g...303/123213.jpg

usa1camaro1969 04-17-2011 12:47 AM

This is the Schraeder valve location.
http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/45...500x500Q85.jpg

mpiper 04-18-2011 01:26 PM

Ok. Looks like I'll be going the wet route, using the shraeder valve. I'm doing a custom painted stripe join first. Then either exhaust or NOS. still a bit leary about blowing the engine, but superchargers are not on the immediate horizon, so this is my next option. (I'm not a big fan of turbos. Not against them, just not a fan.)

I'll keep learning as I set aside the budget for the NOS. by then, either the supercharger will be coming out, or I'm buying a wet kit.