Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Has to use OnStar (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278303)

newb 02-20-2013 02:19 PM

Has to use OnStar

Saturday night I went to a local cruise night. Afterwards, me and my two sons stopped to eat. As we come out of the restaurant I noticed a gentleman who I am pretty sure I saw sitting at the bar, staggering across the parking lot. He had the telltale two step going that let me know he was intoxicated. After watching him get into his BMW I decided to take action. I thought about OnStars ability to track my location so I pushed the button.

The operator transferred me to the emergency response division who pulled up my location while conferencing me in with local authorities. She had given them my location before I even got on the phone with them. When the officer came on the line, I passed a brief description of the car and he verified the description matches the plate number.

I am not sure what happened to the individual as my two kids were sleepy and we waited for 5-10 minutes and he hadn't moved. I figured officers couldn't be too far away and left the parking lot.

I was impressed by the Onstar response. The operator was friendly yet direct. At the end of the call she thanked me for reporting it and told me not to hesitate to call again if I ever see this happen.

DefianceDan 02-20-2013 02:23 PM

Cool....I have yet to have a reason to push the red button, but it's nice to know it's there when I (or someone else) needs it.

Frid 02-20-2013 02:32 PM

Hope that caught that guy before he possibly hurt someone.

Kerr 02-20-2013 02:38 PM

Ive used it a few times,

Once for locked keys, the lady was kinda rude but we got to the bottom of it, she was all i need your pasword etc etc.. I was like look i dont know that, all i know its its the only 2004 GMC truck i have listed all the other cars are new, so simpley look at the year or "maybe" you can find it by oh i dont know GMC Sierra. ;)

LOL.. they do keep tabs on how much you drive though, that 04 sierra is a back up truck for our company, everyone else rides Denali suv's or something else. Anyway everytime you take that truck out you get a e mail from on star that the truck is being driven.. guess that's a good thing but kinda strange as well.

PalmerGA 02-20-2013 05:22 PM

Ratfink! He was just sitting in the parking lot? Not driving? I wouldn't have called them since he may have just decided to go to his car and sleep it off. Just my opinion.

thahemp 02-20-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PalmerGA (Post 6186922)
Ratfink! He was just sitting in the parking lot? Not driving? I wouldn't have called them since he may have just decided to go to his car and sleep it off. Just my opinion.

Then he would have been fine when they got there because he wasn't driving.

mhoskins76 02-20-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Actually in Canada it is illegal to be in your car with the keys, even if you are just sleeping. You can get charged with DUI.

Here is a good article on it:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/theo-sa...b_1837156.html

INTIMIDAT3R 02-20-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newb (Post 6186122)
Saturday night I went to a local cruise night. Afterwards, me and my two sons stopped to eat. As we come out of the restaurant I noticed a gentleman who I am pretty sure I saw sitting at the bar, staggering across the parking lot. He had the telltale two step going that let me know he was intoxicated. After watching him get into his BMW I decided to take action. I thought about OnStars ability to track my location so I pushed the button.

The operator transferred me to the emergency response division who pulled up my location while conferencing me in with local authorities. She had given them my location before I even got on the phone with them. When the officer came on the line, I passed a brief description of the car and he verified the description matches the plate number.

I am not sure what happened to the individual as my two kids were sleepy and we waited for 5-10 minutes and he hadn't moved. I figured officers couldn't be too far away and left the parking lot.

I was impressed by the Onstar response. The operator was friendly yet direct. At the end of the call she thanked me for reporting it and told me not to hesitate to call again if I ever see this happen.

HUGE pat on the back to you!!! You probably saved someone's life. :thumbup:

As far as those who drink and drive... they should all be drawn and quartered.

The_Blur 02-20-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhoskins76 (Post 6187005)
Actually in Canada it is illegal to be in your car with the keys, even if you are just sleeping. You can get charged with DUI.

Here is a good article on it:
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/theo-sa...b_1837156.html

Some states do that, too. It's better that way. Inebriated drivers are dangerous. Even after sobering up for a few hours, you're not completely yourself. If that guy went to sleep at midnight and woke up at dawn, he might still fail a breathalyzer.

family man 02-20-2013 05:46 PM

Good for you! You possibly saved someones life that night.

90503 02-20-2013 05:46 PM

Could have accomplished the same thing with a cell-phone call to 911...

INTIMIDAT3R 02-20-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Really? Wow. :facepalm:

thahemp 02-20-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 6187019)
Some states do that, too. It's better that way. Inebriated drivers are dangerous. Even after sobering up for a few hours, you're not completely yourself. If that guy went to sleep at midnight and woke up at dawn, he might still fail a breathalyzer.

Yeah. Our state does it that way. The keys have to be in the ignition though. If he was showing intent to drive, then that's just too damn bad.

newb 02-20-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Have you ever been hit by a drunk driver? I have. It is illegal to be in control of a vehicle while drunk. You do not have to wait for him to endanger lives to be guilty. By getting in the car in the drivers seat and starting the car(the lights came on and i heard it start) he is driving. Whether the cars moves or not. Get hit head on by a drunk driver or lose a loved one to it and see how you feel. Till then, shut the hell up and keep your opinion to yourself!