Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Weapon-R Intake for V6 camaro? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202137)

bmorecam 02-12-2012 01:24 PM

Weapon-R Intake for V6 camaro?

6 Attachment(s)
If you have dealt with imports before than you probably know or heard about weapon-R, well, it look like weapon R has intakes available for the V6 and V8 camaro. It has a 2 pipe design that supposed to increase velocity and volume of air going in, at least they say:iono: It also come with polyeurethane foam filter that supposed to flow 3x more then the conventional cotton high flow filter such as K&N.

I don see any dyno numbers or expected gains anywhere. Anyone have any more info on this intake?

Attachment 334984

The Secret Weapon Intake was designed to increase air intake volume to the engine. The concept is to create two different air velocity profiles, one traveling at higher speeds than the other, which a) increases air volume and speed to the engine and b) feeds the engine 3x more air than a conventional air intake system!

If you want to upgrade your performance, an After Market Intake is one of the First Things You Should Upgrade When Modifying Your Car

My intake systems come with a Secret Weapon Air Filter, which has re-usable, high density, open pore foam to minimize turbulence and give you even more performance. Performans better than any other filter available on the market today. Warranty included, 1 million miles.

The intake comes with everything you need for installation! All adapters. All fittings. Everything you need to place your existing mass air flow sensor (MAF).

Your engine light will not come on. These products aren't cheap, they are made of 6061 Aluminum, CNC Mandrel Bent, and then TIG Welded to make a super tight seal and proper fit. They are made in the USA and polished to show a high quality finish.

The Weapon-R Secret Weapon Intake includes:

Our Weapon-R Secret Weapon Air Intake
6061 Aluminum CNC Mandrel Bent Intake Tubing with Polished finish
Pure Silicone Hoses & Couplers
Stainless Steel Clamps
Weapon-R High Flow Secret Weapon Performance Air Filter
Intake Bracket & Screw-in Vibration Mount
Weapon-R Stickers & Catalogs
Any applicable items included in the current special
Need more eye candy?

Check out the Dyno Test Videos or the Weapon-R Promo Video

How it works
Here are some pictures of a flow test done with our specially designed flow bench. Our flow bench is very similar to those used to test flow in machine shops. We measure pressure, in this case vacuum pressure, inside of the pipe. The form of measurement we use is in H2O, or inches of water. This is the same as a majority of industry flow benches. Almost all flow benches use a meter called a Manometer, which has actual water in it, to make its measurements. We opted for a more precise method, using a precision tuned digital vacuum meter, provided to us by The DigiVac Company. The easiest to read this is the higher the number on the display, the better the flow is through the pipe. All test shown were performed using a Craftsman 5hp wet/dry vacuum as a vacuum source.
Attachment 334985

Picture 1 : Picture of the PATENTED " Secret Weapon Intake Pipe " design. You can see the smaller inner tube used to increase velocity. The airflow through the inner tube has a higher velocity than a standard 3" intake pipe. The higher velocity / volume of airflow from the inner pipe creates a low-pressure vacuum at the throttle body end of the pipe, called a Venturi. This Venturi draws the air from the outer pipe, increasing its velocity, and increasing the overall volume of air entering the engine.
Attachment 334986

Picture 2 :In this picture, we first test a standard 3" pipe. Here you can see that the display is reading 1.4 in H20. We cap off the other pipe to provide a more accurate reading.
Attachment 334987

Picture 3 : In this picture we are now testing the Secret Weapon design. We see that the reading has increased to 2.3 in H20. This increase is due to the small inner pipe increasing velocity in the intake tract.
Attachment 334988

Picture 4 : In this photo, we test a pretty good-sized K&N style gauze filter. You can see that with this filter, the reading has actually DECREASED down to 2.0 in H2O.
Attachment 334989

Picture 5 : Swapping a Secret Weapon filter for the gauze filter, shows a large increase over the gauze filter and over just the open pipe as well. The improved velocity stack and filter design encourages the air to flow in a direct route through the pipe while maintaining a high velocity and low restriction.
What does this all mean?
The Secret Weapon uses two important laws of physics to increase airflow. The first law is Boyles law. This law basically states that as air velocity increases, its volume increases as well, while the pressure decreases. The second law is the Bernoulli Equation, where a moving fluid (in this case air) has a lower pressure than air that is standing still, or is moving slowly. This same law is used in NASCAR for both downforce and "drafting." When we increase the air velocity in the intake, we create a low pressure area that draws a higher volume of air than a standard intake would. In layman's terms, we are creating a vacuum effect using natural laws of physics.

Do the Weapon-R Air Filters, filter dirt better than K&N / AEM / Injen Air Filters?
The Secret Weapon Air Filter is made of Polyeurethane Foam, which is rated at 300 Pores per square inch. Whereas the K&N / AEM / INJEN air filters are rated at 30-60 pores per square inch. This means that there are more dirt particles passing through the air filter to the engine when using their filters.

Why is the Secret Weapon Air Filter so much better?
The reason why the Secret Weapon Air Filter flows much better than any other filter on the market today is because of the specially designed Velocity Stack inside the air filter, it helps gather more air into the air filter and reduces the turbulence of the air into the intake tube.

CamaroDreams07 02-12-2012 01:41 PM

We need an engineer to tell us if any of that checks out. I'm certainly not smart enough to know.

KMPrenger 02-12-2012 01:43 PM

Interesting, but not sure I'm convinced of anything here.

First off, unless the Camaro V6 version has a heat shield...then thats a bit of a downer.

2nd...even though air in the smaller tube is moving faster...I don't think that necessarily means it is feeding more air. Kind've like cars moving down a 2 lane highway versus a 4 lane. the 4 lane can be less crowded but still move the same or more amount of cars.

But I'd still be very interested to see what this thing can do.

'11CamaroLS 02-12-2012 02:04 PM

that is interesting. i ran across that a few days ago online too. anyone find a dyno sheet or anything?

bmorecam 02-12-2012 02:08 PM

Well.. I just emailed weapon-R and asked for more info and dyno so let's see what we get in the reply. I wonder why no heat shield. That is kind of dissapointing. If it does flow more air then does that mean more hot air? LOL.

bmorecam 02-12-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 4471796)
Interesting, but not sure I'm convinced of anything here.

First off, unless the Camaro V6 version has a heat shield...then thats a bit of a downer.

2nd...even though air in the smaller tube is moving faster...I don't think that necessarily means it is feeding more air. Kind've like cars moving down a 2 lane highway versus a 4 lane. the 4 lane can be less crowded but still move the same or more amount of cars.

But I'd still be very interested to see what this thing can do.

Their "theory" is that it create low pressure vacuum at the throttle body via the smaller tube, then that pressure draws air from the 2nd bigger tube, combining airflow all together creating higher velocity and volume. The majority of volume seem like it will come from that big ol foam filter which they say flow 3x more then others. Interesting.

Any airflow experts care to chime in if this is a theory that can actually work or just a marketing stunt? Again, why no heat shield:iono:

Agarc 02-12-2012 02:20 PM

i dont know about this seem like that ol ricer marketing were you put a bunch of hot girls Hold your intake saying it will make Big Power ... And She likes Big Power LOL

Rickmaff 02-12-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agarc (Post 4471961)
i dont know about this seem like that ol ricer marketing were you put a bunch of hot girls Hold your intake saying it will make Big Power ... And She likes Big Power LOL

I'll take two!

bmorecam 02-12-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agarc (Post 4471961)

That's "rice" or import for ya LOL. At least they dont have hello kitty signs everywhere:facepalm::laugh:

10RsCamaro 02-12-2012 02:58 PM

:popcorn:

meissen 02-12-2012 04:41 PM

What's the price of the Weapon-R intake? I just wish a company would come out with an intake for the v6 in the $150 range.

scrming 02-12-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 (Post 4471792)
We need an engineer to tell us if any of that checks out. I'm certainly not smart enough to know.

Sounds like the same theory behind the AeroTurbine Mufflers...

Basically it creates a Venturi effect... I was very skeptical about the AeroTurbine mufflers, but we put one on my V6 muffler and we seen like a 10 HP gain over the Magnaflow I had on it... so yes, the Venturi effect is real and beneficial in a muffler... now, is it effective in an intake??? :iono:

SC2150 02-12-2012 07:33 PM

Dyno tests will show....lets get some and see. The heat issue is real for sure, but I can say yeah or nay w/out testing. Has my interest though!

bmorecam 02-12-2012 07:59 PM

I'm certain if this indeed work then building a heat shield wont be an issue. anyone care to donate this intake for testing LOL:D