Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   How I Added Power Passenger Seat to a 2010 2SS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176927)

Pagliaro 02-20-2014 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickRay (Post 7434193)
I had the car for 5 years now & never noticed the airbag tag on my seat...:doh::doh::doh::doh:
I hope it means that we do have the Airbags in the Car like you mentioned....

Wouldn't all you have to do is swap the motorized part for the manual part? why de-skin and re-skin.

I have cloth seats so mine would be a little more troublesome

RickRay 04-22-2014 03:39 PM

Well looks like I have to do the Switch Mod after all...Not that I really didn't believe Ofer BUT he is right. GM couldn't reprogram the CPU because of that switch cause it has a different frequency then the new ones... So now I'll try to get it done Friday before I leave for Texas. I'll probably be asking for more help if we run into a snag :)

Pagliaro 04-22-2014 05:41 PM

a
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickRay (Post 7602791)
Well looks like I have to do the Switch Mod after all...Not that I really didn't believe Ofer BUT he is right. GM couldn't reprogram the CPU because of that switch cause it has a different frequency then the new ones... So now I'll try to get it done Friday before I leave for Texas. I'll probably be asking for more help if we run into a snag :)

Damn that sucks, was hoping to get a full set.

Did the airbag throw a code?

RickRay 04-22-2014 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagliaro (Post 7603130)
a

Damn that sucks, was hoping to get a full set.

Did the airbag throw a code?

It said service airbag
Dealer said there was 2 codes they couldn't get rid of :barf:

Pagliaro 04-23-2014 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickRay (Post 7603887)
It said service airbag
Dealer said there was 2 codes they couldn't get rid of :barf:

From what I am told if the airbag is married to the vin that these vins are all blacklisted from GM.

el ess A 04-25-2014 11:30 AM

You can remove the airbag slide switch and wiring from the 2010 frame bottom and rivet it in place (not sure if the 2014 seat frame has the holes present for it or not). If so, just rivet it in per my instructions and you're good to go.

RickRay, I sent you some better pics of the wiring (see post #13 as I updated it) as to how to shift the 2010 airbag switch wire to the new seat harness.

I'm guessing once you get that seat slide switch reinstalled, you'll be good to go.

I'm THINKING that if the switch senses the seat too far forward, it disables the air bag (the car may think it's a child or car seat in the front seat) so it won't pop out too close to someone's face or small baby. Not sure though.

As I've tried to warn people, this worked for ME. I am not an electrical wiring genius. If you have other weird wiring issues, I'm NOT your answer source. :)

el ess A 04-25-2014 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's for those that wanted to see a final product picture.

Exciting isn't it. Mirror image of the driver's side. Not much to see here really.

RickRay 04-25-2014 02:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by el ess A (Post 7611209)
You can remove the airbag slide switch and wiring from the 2010 frame bottom and rivet it in place (not sure if the 2014 seat frame has the holes present for it or not). If so, just rivet it in per my instructions and you're good to go.

RickRay, I sent you some better pics of the wiring (see post #13 as I updated it) as to how to shift the 2010 airbag switch wire to the new seat harness.

I'm guessing once you get that seat slide switch reinstalled, you'll be good to go.

I'm THINKING that if the switch senses the seat too far forward, it disables the air bag (the car may think it's a child or car seat in the front seat) so it won't pop out too close to someone's face or small baby. Not sure though.

As I've tried to warn people, this worked for ME. I am not an electrical wiring genius. If you have other weird wiring issues, I'm NOT your answer source. :)

Thanks Mike for your explanations.

YES the 2014 has the same holes for the 2010 Switch install :thumbsup:
Just the seat belt switch is on the side of the seat & also you need your 2010 Seat Buckle for your seat belt to go in...GM changed the size of the buckles :frusty:
Rick & I just finished and it was pretty simple after all. I started the car and NO SERVICE AIRBAG LIGHT :clap:
Rachael will be happier now & we will be safer...because with that Service Airbag Light on the Airbags will not work at all.

3rd pic is the 2010 Seat the others the finished product on the 2014.

Thanks to Mike & Ofer for DYI Project....:thanks:

Pagliaro 04-25-2014 07:59 PM

Jealous.

Want to make a trip to Ottawa to do mine?

I still need to convince the yard to sell me a full set.

I want it not only for the leather seats but so my Mylink with heated seats faceplate will make sense lol.

Jayhawk500 07-30-2014 02:57 PM

I have everything on hand, except the seat frame and it's on order. Looking to have this completed by the end of August. Hopefully this will make the wifey happy.

Rocky1974 08-03-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pagliaro (Post 7302138)
Will 2014's fit in 2011's?

I may be able to get a complete leather set out of a 2014.

I'm thinking it may require a new harness.

I think 2014's in a 2011 is plug-n-play.

Rocky1974 08-03-2014 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My 5th (Post 7357741)
I wrecked my 2010 2SSRS 2 weeks ago and they are replacing the entire passenger seat. I'd like to replace it with a full power version. What model year was the first full power seat available? Will the electrical harness in the full power seat plug and play with the harness left in the floor? Are the plastic parts of the connectors the same, but may require repositioning one or more metal pins? Sorry, I couldn't follow all the steps in the DIY.

2012 was the first year for power passenger seat, but they are not plug-n-play in a 2010. 2010's had a seat position sensor that 2011+ do not have.
Installing a 2012+ seat in a 2010 will give you an air bag light. The good news is that the sensor, it's flag and its associated wiring can be removed from the 2010 seat and installed in the 2012+ seat. It requires a minor rework of the 2012+ wiring harness, but it's not a big deal.

Rocky1974 08-03-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickRay (Post 7428039)
I asked someone from Oshawa plant & they said that the airbags are an option....:iono:after the 2010s
Well I got my seat and they didn`t bother taking the airbag out....The seat is black so I have to change the skin from mine to the new one...I haven`t looked at it yet to see if the plugs are the same but I hope they are.
Lets hope it won`t be a hard job to plug...

As far as I know, all 5th Gens have air bags in the seats. They are standard equipment on all the ones sold in the U.S. If they ever made any without seat airbags, they must have been some export model.

abfa 10-05-2014 06:46 AM

Hi.
In step8. Where is the airbag module. Under the seat or on the floor where the carpet is. By the way i have a 2012 45th anniversary. Is this the same location?

Ths in advance

Quote:

Originally Posted by el ess A (Post 3888940)
6) You can lift out the seat by pulling it rearward freeing the "hooks" on the front of the rails. Be careful getting the seat out of the car. It's not real heavy, but it's bulky. You may want to put some towels down around the door opening for protection. Pic 6 shows something kinda cool underneath a "flap" of carpet.

7) Pic 7- There's two phillips screws, one on front and one on back of the outboard cover. You may want to take the time to pop off the recliner back power switch handle. It simply pops right off. You can save this for the new switch as it's the same. There's some friction clips and two push pins holding the side panel on. Just pop it off once the screws are out. Go ahead and uplug the switch and you can leave it in the side cover as you won't be using that switch or side cover anymore. There's two phillips screws to remove on the inboard mini-cover as well. Save the screws for the mini-cover. But you'll only reuse one if you reuse the cover.

8) Pic 8 shows the air bag sensor module. You'll need to unplug, unscrew and save the module/screws for reuse.

9) Pic 9 shows where the seat belt buckle plugs in (orange/light blue). Unplug it. The two blue wires go to some sort of switch. I don't have a clue what this does, but it MIGHT have something to do with moving the seat all the way forward. It's not on the new seat or harness. There's a metal plate the switch rides over when it's all the way up (air bag cutoff for children maybe?)

10) Pic 10 shows the 2 gray plugs. One's got 4 wires (2 pinks/green/blue), one's got two (pink/light blue). The 4-wire deal goes to the bottom seat heater. The 2-wire one goes to the seat back heater. Unplug them.

Cms3717 12-03-2014 03:05 PM

It's called an "SPS" Seat position sensor. The "SIAB" Side impact Air Bag is in the outside side bolster area of the seat. It's the SPS that needs to be wired into the new seats harness.

Jayhawk500 01-24-2015 07:31 PM

Another One Completed

I finally took the time this afternoon and did the mod to the passenger seat. This went together easier than I expected it would. It works good and there's no codes or lights.:clap2::clap2:

Now I have to update my signature.

DannyBoy707 02-14-2015 07:21 PM

Best thread ever! saved me for sure. I couldn't figure out what the hell the airbag light was from and you seriously hooked me up- good job. One question for future tacklers of that issue though: What is the easy way to get the pin out of the harness, I tried everything, and still ended up ripping the wire out before the actual pin came out. (yes, i took out the purple retainer first). Also, I put a sewing needle that I was trying to collapse the barb with, all the way through my index finger so it stopped against the underside of my fingernail. Ouch!

Jrichards73 02-17-2015 11:51 AM

wow sounds like this became a bit of a pain, glad i did it in 2012, about 6 months after I got the car.

Rocky1974 04-11-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abfa (Post 7991267)
Hi.
In step8. Where is the airbag module. Under the seat or on the floor where the carpet is. By the way i have a 2012 45th anniversary. Is this the same location?

Ths in advance

I know you post is old, but it looks like no-one ever answered your question. The airbag module is mounted on the bottom of the passenger seat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrichards73 (Post 8239191)
wow sounds like this became a bit of a pain, glad i did it in 2012, about 6 months after I got the car.

It's no more of a pain now than it ever was. Yours was slightly easier because you have a 2011 and didn't have to deal with that seat position that the 2010s have, but that was only difficult for the first person. Now that's it been figured out, it's no big deal.

olblue75 07-08-2015 12:31 PM

Gonna ask a question on this.

If i get a complete powered passenger seat from a 12 or newer can I just swap out bases and is there a lot of re-wiring to do???
I have a 2010 SS with heated leather, power recline, and passenger airbag

Jayhawk500 07-09-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblue75 (Post 8522040)
Gonna ask a question on this.

If i get a complete powered passenger seat from a 12 or newer can I just swap out bases and is there a lot of re-wiring to do???
I have a 2010 SS with heated leather, power recline, and passenger airbag

You'll need to transfer the air bag slide sensor that's riveted to the frame from the '10 seat. It's all listed above. Read the posts from the beginning. It explains is all. Good Luck.

el ess A 11-24-2015 01:38 PM

Disclaimer- I'm going to place this here because lately I've had people PM'ing me asking me specific questions about troubleshooting their seat wiring and frankly, I cannot help the majority of them, although I wish I could.

FIRST- I am not a wire-biter. I am handy with a wrench, but I don't know the ins and outs of wiring, schematics, and troubleshooting electrical problems beyond novice level. I got lucky on this seat and stumbled and fumbled and figured out a couple of things on my own and got it to work without letting the electrical smoke out of the switches and wiring.

This is for a specific model and year swap, and only did the base of the seat which came complete with the motor. I tried to explain as best as I could in the event someone wanted to try this on their own.

I'll still try and help anyone who asks, but don't be too disappointed if I can't. Thank you.

But I did finally find the correct p/n for the inner lower hinge finish panel on the inboard side of the passenger seat. 22925357 and lists for around 60 bucks, although you can get it for a bit over 40 in most places.

QUICRNU 07-30-2016 02:10 PM

This was a great write up, thank you for your help. I just Swapped 2011+ Leather Seats into my 2010 and swapped the Airbag sensor.

Thank You! and Thanks to Ofer for pointing me in this direction.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 08-31-2016 09:54 AM

Guys an update to this thread, if your adding the Recaro seat's for 2010 car, drivers will work out of the box, all you need to do is fallow how to move the Airbag sensor for the passenger seat, it will work we have done it.

olblue75 09-01-2016 01:50 PM

If only you could find affordable Recaro's