Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Top Seven 2010 Chevrolet Camaro Intakes (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299402)

Baltimorejohn1 06-02-2013 07:23 PM

Top Seven 2010 Chevrolet Camaro Intakes

For the enthusiast who appreciates what the OEM can provide, the stock air intake is an amazing piece. In fact, it was the second fastest accelerating intake in the test (sixth on the dyno) and obviously requires no additional tuning or warranty worries.

For the mod'er who enjoys a stock fit and finish, both the aFe and Airaid intakes faired well in performance, while maintaining a subtle look in the engine bay. For the engineers in the crowd, the Cold Air Inductions and ADM Street intakes both performed well, taking the top HP spot and the third fastest accelerating, respectively.

For the serious tuners who prefer a more aggressive look, Fastlane and LMR looked great, with Fastlane sitting atop the group in terms of fastest acceleration. And, last but not least, the New Era Performance intake is perfect for those looking to stand out from the crowd, while still picking up some additional horsepower.

Read more: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...#ixzz2V6l62GQZ
_2010_chevrolet_camaro_intakes/viewall.html

KaBoom1701 06-02-2013 08:17 PM

Sweet.

Nice read.

EastWood-SS 06-02-2013 08:25 PM

CAI wins as expected. First thing on my mod list.

The Stig 06-02-2013 08:28 PM

This is a really old write up btw. Just as a heads up.

Baltimorejohn1 06-02-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6620606)
This is a really old write up btw. Just as a heads up.

Yes might be time for an update....
Who won depends on what you wanted to accomplish.....

Pipeline was the quickest and stock second in making the car move faster..... CAI was third behind stock.....

I would like to see an expanded test....
I think like was written it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.....

But CAI was definitely overall maybe the top dog in all categories.....
But my goal is always to go faster.....

Lastly, I will add the more I research this subject the main thing is moving the washer bottle....
Because I did notice they didn't remove that bottle for the others because it wasn't in the setup instructions.....

The Stig 06-02-2013 09:02 PM

You mean something like the JRE independent CAI testing?

Baltimorejohn1 06-02-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6620781)
You mean something like the JRE independent CAI testing?

Yes I saw that and I noticed how things they don't sell all seemed to do pretty bad......

I like the GM testing myself because it was much more unbiased.....
Seems like so many in here are just pouncing threads to push their hidden agenda.....

So yes I saw the test but I wouldn't call it independent.....
This is an independent study:

On the aesthetic side of things, the Aircharger system looks like a very high quality OEM stock component under the hood (with the exception of the polished filter cap), and looks like it belongs there. Also, when we took the car to wide-open-throttle on our dyno runs there was a very noticeable difference in the sound of the intake, and a very slight change in the exhaust note of the SS. Over all, the car just sounded more aggressive.
  • Baseline Rear Wheel HP: 312.9 HP
  • Baseline Rear Wheel Torque: 331.5 Ft/Lbs
  • K&N Aircharger – Rear Wheel HP: 337.9 HP - increase of 25.0 rwhp
  • K&N Aircharger - Rear Wheel Torque: 352.26 Ft/Lbs - increase of 20.76 ft/lbs
Also this was done by GM:

So, is the K&N Typhoon intake all style and no substance? Well, as it turns out you can have your under-hood bling with plenty of power to go with it. With the Typhoon, we gained just under 24 horsepower, and over 23 pound feet of torque over stock – that’s just 1 horsepower less than the Aircharger, and 2 pound feet of torque more.

Our best dyno numbers for the K&N Typhoon on the L99 SS were 336.9 horsepower, and 355.1 pound feet of torque. Let’s just say, that power gain is probably within the statistical variance of our dyno. However, if you want to ignore variance, the plastic air charger out powered the aluminum tube intake by 1 hp, but fell short by a few ft/lbs.
  • K&N Typhoon – Rear Wheel HP: 336.9 HP - increase of 24.0 rwhp
  • K&N Typhoon- Rear Wheel Torque: 355.16 Ft/Lbs - increase of 23.6 ft/lbs
http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/en...ntake-options/

The Stig 06-02-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 (Post 6620870)
Yes I saw that and I noticed how things they don't sell all seemed to do pretty bad......

I like the GM testing myself because it was much more unbiased.....
Seems like so many in here are just pouncing threads to push their hidden agenda.....

So yes I saw the test but I wouldn't call it independent.....
This is an independent study:

On the aesthetic side of things, the Aircharger system looks like a very high quality OEM stock component under the hood (with the exception of the polished filter cap), and looks like it belongs there. Also, when we took the car to wide-open-throttle on our dyno runs there was a very noticeable difference in the sound of the intake, and a very slight change in the exhaust note of the SS. Over all, the car just sounded more aggressive.
  • K&N Aircharger – Rear Wheel HP: 337.9 HP - increase of 25.0 rwhp
  • K&N Aircharger - Rear Wheel Torque: 352.26 Ft/Lbs - increase of 20.76 ft/lbs
Also this was done by GM:

So, is the K&N Typhoon intake all style and no substance? Well, as it turns out you can have your under-hood bling with plenty of power to go with it. With the Typhoon, we gained just under 24 horsepower, and over 23 pound feet of torque over stock – that’s just 1 horsepower less than the Aircharger, and 2 pound feet of torque more.

Our best dyno numbers for the K&N Typhoon on the L99 SS were 336.9 horsepower, and 355.1 pound feet of torque. Let’s just say, that power gain is probably within the statistical variance of our dyno. However, if you want to ignore variance, the plastic air charger out powered the aluminum tube intake by 1 hp, but fell short by a few ft/lbs.
  • K&N Typhoon – Rear Wheel HP: 336.9 HP - increase of 24.0 rwhp
  • K&N Typhoon- Rear Wheel Torque: 355.16 Ft/Lbs - increase of 23.6 ft/lbs
http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/en...ntake-options/

Except its only comparing different K&N products. All this tells me is that if I was going to buy K&N I'd buy the Aircharger one. Doesn't tell me how K&N does against other companies.

Baltimorejohn1 06-02-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Stig (Post 6620944)
Except its only comparing different K&N products. All this tells me is that if I was going to buy K&N I'd buy the Aircharger one. Doesn't tell me how K&N does against other companies.

Really the numbers are there because the test was done by GM......
I would get the Typhoon because I love the torque because it gets you off the line quicker.....

25 RWHP is better than anyone in that other test....
And GM did both test....

axis 06-02-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 (Post 6621025)
Really the numbers are there because the test was done by GM......
I would get the Typhoon because I love the torque because it gets you off the line quicker.....

25 RWHP is better than anyone in that other test....
And GM did both test....

show me ANY CAI for any year Camaro that puts out 25whp. That alone should tell you if those numbers are fudged. There are LOTS of things wrong with both those tests and they have been discussed NUMEROUS times. Searching is your friend. Thanks for bringing up a 3yo article.

thahemp 06-02-2013 11:16 PM

I use a K&N filter to clean my hands after I'm done installing my long-throw shifter and shorties. Chuck Norris was no help as usual...

thahemp 06-02-2013 11:16 PM

Isn't a typhoon a water storm anyways? Why would you name your intake after a wet-weather event?

hapisok 06-02-2013 11:52 PM

What happened to roto fab?

Anyhow...what about heat soak.
Intake air temps...

Chevrolade 06-03-2013 12:24 AM

I run the AEM and I'm very happy with it