Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Borla Atak + Solo High Flows (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281114)

Cangt77 03-05-2013 10:02 AM

Borla Atak + Solo High Flows

Anyone have this setup? I have the atak system and wile its loud at WOT, it isnt loud enough for me at 3k or around that, and I wanted to add the high flow catalytic converters(solo) because I dont want to void my warranty with headers. How's the sound? Will it drone? I head of some people saying its too loud with headers, so I was wondering if the high flow catalytic coverters would be like a "middle range" of nice loud but not too overly loud. I just dont want to waste my money for me to not like it! Youtube doesnt do it justice

SPCBA 03-05-2013 12:01 PM

it would make it louder. try it out! if it drones a simple j pipe can fix it and keep your nice deep atak rumble

Apex Motorsports 03-05-2013 03:42 PM

"Too loud" is a subjective thing. For my grandma? Yeah it is probably too loud. For me? Not so much. You shouldn't have any drone issues, but again, that is also subjective. Like SPCBA said, there is a fix for that if it does come up.

Cangt77 03-06-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex Chase (Post 6249035)
"Too loud" is a subjective thing. For my grandma? Yeah it is probably too loud. For me? Not so much. You shouldn't have any drone issues, but again, that is also subjective. Like SPCBA said, there is a fix for that if it does come up.

Yeah let's just put it this way, I like loud haha. The only thing that kind of scared me off was that people said it "loses the muscle car tone" and just sounds terrible....I just want that deep V8 rumble and wile my borla has it I feel like its only really noticable at higher RPM(4k+) and I mean who really revs it to that under normal driving lol. I just want it to sound like a monster! I'll have to try it out.

scotthalas 03-06-2013 07:45 AM

I just put Solos on this Sunday and I have the Borla Atak cat back......very happy with this set up......your neighbors wont be happy though......it is much louder then with the stock cats/resinators. Cold start up in the garage scared my daughter! No drone that I can produce.......love the way it sounds.

Cangt77 03-06-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotthalas (Post 6251449)
I just put Solos on this Sunday and I have the Borla Atak cat back......very happy with this set up......your neighbors wont be happy though......it is much louder then with the stock cats/resinators. Cold start up in the garage scared my daughter! No drone that I can produce.......love the way it sounds.

Thanks man, yeah I'm getting pumped up for this!

IMJ 03-06-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cangt77 (Post 6251023)
Yeah let's just put it this way, I like loud haha. The only thing that kind of scared me off was that people said it "loses the muscle car tone" and just sounds terrible....I just want that deep V8 rumble and wile my borla has it I feel like its only really noticable at higher RPM(4k+) and I mean who really revs it to that under normal driving lol. I just want it to sound like a monster! I'll have to try it out.

I know what you are looking for in that sound too... I think you actually want to run without mufflers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotthalas (Post 6251449)

I'm sort of interested in this now too.... I've been planning on headers, but if I can do it with cats then so be it. Can I ask where you bought 'em and how much so I can start comparing prices and looking into it?

scotthalas 03-07-2013 12:02 PM

Solo cats for an LS3 run around 575.00.....vendors here have them.....they are worth every penny.......I dont think you will find much difference in price looking around, except buying some used ones on the classified here....

Juiced1 03-08-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cangt77 (Post 6252632)
Thanks man, yeah I'm getting pumped up for this!

The factory cats are one of the biggest points of restriction on these LS3/L99 motors. Removing them frees up some ponies and a good amount of volume and on a car with Borla Atak you will notice it for sure. We haven't run into any complaints with drone except for cars that already had some drone issues.

JD_Alaska 03-09-2013 12:08 AM

Installing our Solo high flows and Borla ATAK this weekend. Next, Elite catch can an ported TB

Frid 03-09-2013 12:30 AM

There is no such thing as too loud on these cars. The louder, the meaner :)
ARH LTs, Borla ATAK, HF cats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jKexLVsSFA

JD_Alaska 03-10-2013 12:13 AM

Just got done installing our Solo high flows and Borla ATAK cat back. Took me about 4 hours to do.
It sounds like a beast!!! Now if spring would just hurry up and get here I can go test it out!

Thanks Solo and Borla!!!! Great combo!

KSX 03-17-2013 08:55 PM

My biggest concernw as the exact same thing .. I want it a little louder but I don't want it to lose that muscle car sound .. I love the ATAK rumble to it but don't quite wanna go all the way to getting headers just yet .. With the SOLO High Flow Cats is it raspy at all? That was another concern of mine was how raspy people said the ATAK was with LT's.. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD_Alaska (Post 6267838)
Just got done installing our Solo high flows and Borla ATAK cat back. Took me about 4 hours to do.
It sounds like a beast!!! Now if spring would just hurry up and get here I can go test it out!

Thanks Solo and Borla!!!! Great combo!