Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2010 Yenko Camaro announced (details and images) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49683)

ZNOLMT 10-29-2009 12:33 PM

2010 Yenko Camaro announced (details and images)

2 Attachment(s)
PRESS RELEASE:

Westminster, Calif. – (October 28, 2009) General Marketing Capital Incorporated (GMCI) announced today that it will present its official 2010 Yenko Camaro Prototype to the public in the OER booth (# 23795) at the 46th annual SEMA Trade Show in Las Vegas, November 3-6.

The company will present the modern Yenko almost 44 years to the day that Don Yenko's Corvair Corsa was officially recognized as a Class D Production Competition Car by the SCCA.

The official 2010 Yenko Prototype began its life on a 2010 Camaro SS platform. The vehicle then underwent several significant upgrades including modification to a "Phase I" Yenko Camaro Supercar. Preliminary highlights and specifications of this powerful vehicle include a high performance 600hp supercharged and intercooled LS-based engine, Tremec six speed manual high performance transmission, Hurst short throw shifter, 6-piston big brake package and Magnaflow high-flow cat-back exhaust system.

Plans call for three Phases to be available to take the fifth Generation Camaro from ordinary to extraordinary. This "Phase I" Prototype from GMCI maintains the unique retro appeal Yenko enthusiasts are so passionate about, while including significant performance upgrades to the stock GM specifications and keeping the car affordable. Phase II and III cars will have higher output engines and even more suspension and handling upgrades.

Additional Yenko branded upgrades to this prototype vehicle include: the Yenko stripe package, official emblems and badging, retro-styled 22" Yenko billet aluminum wheels, Yenko leather interior package featuring Yenko Super Car (sYc) embroidered headrests, Yenko/SC sill plates, Yenko/SC embroidered floor mats and more.

Nearly 45 years ago, racing legend Don Yenko embarked on a mission to build a race car that could effectively compete in the 1966 SCCA racing season. His inspiration resulted in the development of the Yenko Stinger, an SCCA race car based on the Corvair Corsa platform. It was in the last quarter of 1965 that Yenko's plans for that vehicle came together changing automotive history forever.

Originally, the 60s era Yenko car was a special order vehicle, designed and built by Don Yenko Chevrolet in Canonsburg, PA. Don Yenko used the Central Office Production Order (COPO) program, a program GM used for fleet vehicles like police cars, taxi cabs, etc. to special order the vehicles and then modify them into some of the most powerful vehicles available. Today, an original Yenko is one of the most sought after Camaros in the world.

For more information about GMCI or Yenko licensing, please contact GMCI Corporate Headquarters, P.O. box 12049 Westminster, CA. 92683 or info@gmcilicensing.com.

moto-camaro 10-29-2009 12:37 PM

:popcorn:

i definitely agree with the article, hopefully they use GMPP engines to give these the power they deserve :respekt:

futrocpd 10-29-2009 12:37 PM

:popcorn:

Orange ss crush 10-29-2009 02:48 PM

Its about time!!!! :happyanim:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZNOLMT (Post 1106429)
PRESS RELEASE:

Westminster, Calif. – (October 28, 2009) General Marketing Capital Incorporated (GMCI) announced today that it will present its official 2010 Yenko Camaro Prototype to the public in the OER booth (# 23795) at the 46th annual SEMA Trade Show in Las Vegas, November 3-6.

The company will present the modern Yenko almost 44 years to the day that Don Yenko's Corvair Corsa was officially recognized as a Class D Production Competition Car by the SCCA.

The official 2010 Yenko Prototype began its life on a 2010 Camaro SS platform. The vehicle then underwent several significant upgrades including modification to a "Phase I" Yenko Camaro Supercar. Preliminary highlights and specifications of this powerful vehicle include a high performance 600hp supercharged and intercooled LS-based engine, Tremec six speed manual high performance transmission, Hurst short throw shifter, 6-piston big brake package and Magnaflow high-flow cat-back exhaust system.

Plans call for three Phases to be available to take the fifth Generation Camaro from ordinary to extraordinary. This "Phase I" Prototype from GMCI maintains the unique retro appeal Yenko enthusiasts are so passionate about, while including significant performance upgrades to the stock GM specifications and keeping the car affordable. Phase II and III cars will have higher output engines and even more suspension and handling upgrades.

Additional Yenko branded upgrades to this prototype vehicle include: the Yenko stripe package, official emblems and badging, retro-styled 22" Yenko billet aluminum wheels, Yenko leather interior package featuring Yenko Super Car (sYc) embroidered headrests, Yenko/SC sill plates, Yenko/SC embroidered floor mats and more.

Nearly 45 years ago, racing legend Don Yenko embarked on a mission to build a race car that could effectively compete in the 1966 SCCA racing season. His inspiration resulted in the development of the Yenko Stinger, an SCCA race car based on the Corvair Corsa platform. It was in the last quarter of 1965 that Yenko's plans for that vehicle came together changing automotive history forever.

Originally, the 60s era Yenko car was a special order vehicle, designed and built by Don Yenko Chevrolet in Canonsburg, PA. Don Yenko used the Central Office Production Order (COPO) program, a program GM used for fleet vehicles like police cars, taxi cabs, etc. to special order the vehicles and then modify them into some of the most powerful vehicles available. Today, an original Yenko is one of the most sought after Camaros in the world.

For more information about GMCI or Yenko licensing, please contact GMCI Corporate Headquarters, P.O. box 12049 Westminster, CA. 92683 or info@gmcilicensing.com.

Badger 10-29-2009 02:49 PM

Who said GMCI was stupid??:popcorn:

UCI CamaroFan 10-29-2009 02:50 PM

Do they have any affiliation to the old Don Yenko dealership, or are they just trying to capitalize on a name that isn't theirs?

camaross2002 10-29-2009 02:51 PM

YESS!!! Finally the one ive been waiting to hear about thank god!! :happyanim: :happyanim:

Ferrarimk13 10-29-2009 02:53 PM

thats pretty damn cool, never thought they would join the game again.

ljustin293 10-29-2009 02:53 PM

awesome !

Badger 10-29-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCI CamaroFan (Post 1107018)
Do they have any affiliation to the old Don Yenko dealership, or are they just trying to capitalize on a name that isn't theirs?

My thoughts exactly...."If you make it they will come"...or pay anyway..:yikes:

1320junkie 10-29-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

I think they bought the rights to Yenko

cliffy 10-29-2009 02:55 PM

Too bad its a Yenko in name only..... If Don Yenko were still alive you have to wonder what would have been. Licensing is one thing, having real heritage is another. Next you will hear they are continuation cars because the name was bought, still does not make them real Yenkos

stikSS 10-29-2009 02:56 PM

:confused0068: :drinking:

1320junkie 10-29-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffy (Post 1107052)
Too bad its a Yenko in name only..... If Don Yenko were still alive you have to wonder what would have been. Licensing is one thing, having real heritage is another. Next you will hear they are continuation cars because the name was bought, still does not make them real Yenkos

Atleast it's keeping the Legacy alive in a good way...not like they plan on making slouches or camaros that will hurt the name

Revo1 10-29-2009 03:21 PM

:drool: :popcorn:

coolman 10-29-2009 03:26 PM

their goes the nieghborhood , look out ford.

cliffy 10-29-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320junkie (Post 1107062)
Atleast it's keeping the Legacy alive in a good way...not like they plan on making slouches or camaros that will hurt the name

Lets hope, but a drawing and being a company owned by a Yenko enthusiast/owner does not a Yenko make. Not trying to be controversial, just giving an objective opinion.

1320junkie 10-29-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffy (Post 1107223)
Lets hope, but a drawing and being a company owned by a Yenko enthusiast/owner does not a Yenko make. Not trying to be controversial, just giving an objective opinion.

No I understand what you are saying and im not trying to argue with you. I remember awhile ago when I read the plans and I just did a little research thats all

Vega 10-29-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffy (Post 1107052)

I disagree, even when Yenko was in business it was still a business building these cars, Don Yenko didnt hand build those cars he had a team of people working on it the same as these guys will, personally i LOVE the idea, i never thought the new age muscle car wars would get this involved but now im like a kid in a candy store haha...the only thing i disagree with is the whole "phase" idea, all shops are doing "three phase" projects and i just dont like it, if you're gonna buy a Yenko it should be THE Yenko rather than one of three models cause you know no matter what someone will give you grief for it, they'll either say "well its not as fast as it SHOULD be" or they'll say "well its not as nice of a ride as it SHOULD be" so i would preffer just one model, plus thats how it was back when and i support that...also i hope these dont end up being $80,000 cars >={ we have WAY too much of that crap goin around, the new Camaros arent exactly the cheapest cars ever as it is, i hope these guys dont go balls-out with the price

cliffy 10-29-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320junkie (Post 1107239)
No I understand what you are saying and im not trying to argue with you. I remember awhile ago when I read the plans and I just did a little research thats all

I dig the rims though Junkie, sure would like to see the piece in the flesh or at least some pics from SEMA

Vega 10-29-2009 03:33 PM

Afterthought: Can anyone say reproduction of Dynacorn 69' Camaros straight from Yenko?? =D
(none of that CARS licensing crap, those are retarted at $130k and its not even Yenko building them)

1320junkie 10-29-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffy (Post 1107246)
I dig the rims though Junkie, sure would like to see the piece in the flesh or at least some pics from SEMA

:headbang::headbang:

SlingShot 10-29-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

They bought the rights to the name, and are doing the right thing with it..... More power to them and hope it works out....

1sickss 10-29-2009 03:43 PM

i likey:headbang:

Shifty 6 10-29-2009 03:47 PM

If "phase 1" is a 600 hp car, what are phase 2 and 3 going to be? The cynic in me says the originals were COPO cars, not a collection of some aftermarket parts.

cliffy 10-29-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vega (Post 1107240)
I disagree, even when Yenko was in business it was still a business building these cars, Don Yenko didnt hand build those cars he had a team of people working on it the same as these guys will, personally i LOVE the idea, i never thought the new age muscle car wars would get this involved but now im like a kid in a candy store haha...the only thing i disagree with is the whole "phase" idea, all shops are doing "three phase" projects and i just dont like it, if you're gonna buy a Yenko it should be THE Yenko rather than one of three models cause you know no matter what someone will give you grief for it, they'll either say "well its not as fast as it SHOULD be" or they'll say "well its not as nice of a ride as it SHOULD be" so i would preffer just one model, plus thats how it was back when and i support that...also i hope these dont end up being $80,000 cars >={ we have WAY too much of that crap goin around, the new Camaros arent exactly the cheapest cars ever as it is, i hope these guys dont go balls-out with the price

If you read the press article further in depth that was published in Vette Mag, this gentleman is teaming up with various specialty vehicle manufacturers to formulate the car not necessarily in his own production facitlity. Don Yenko was a businessman, but he had his own facility, employees and kids he paid 5 bucks to to "steeker" the cars. That to me is a big difference.

And I will step into the Dynacorn continuation cars arena. To me a newly manufactured 69 replica with a real 427 BB and labled a Yenko continuation car has more appeal and street cred to an old gearhead like me than a 2010 Yenkhennessey clone ever will. I just take issue with the price they are asking for them.

Vega 10-29-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty 6 (Post 1107347)
If "phase 1" is a 600 hp car, what are phase 2 and 3 going to be? The cynic in me says the originals were COPO cars, not a collection of some aftermarket parts.

Hm yeah they should keep to the original way they built these, of course these are Yenkos and not COPOs but still i see where you're comin from and i agree...also they said this is supposed to be a supercharged LS engine, seems like they may end up stepping on GM's toes for their idea of the new Z/28 haha (personally i opted for the LS7 over the LSA so id still be happy, LOL)

Vega 10-29-2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffy (Post 1107349)
If you read the press article further in depth that was published in Vette Mag, this gentleman is teaming up with various specialty vehicle manufacturers to formulate the car not necessarily in his own production facitlity. Don Yenko was a businessman, but he had his own facility, employees and kids he paid 5 bucks to to "steeker" the cars. That to me is a big difference.

And I will step into the Dynacorn continuation cars arena. To me a newly manufactured 69 replica with a real 427 BB and labled a Yenko continuation car has more appeal and street cred to an old gearhead like me than a 2010 Yenkhennessey clone ever will. I just take issue with the price they are asking for them.

Yeah i agreed with you more after i saw more of the discussion, lol, but im still all for these new Yenkos, same stuff with new management in my oppinion haha, but yeah i totally agree with the dynacorns and price and all, if a shop started producing brand new 69' Camaros (be it Yenkos or not) at an affordable price (none of this 100k+ crap) not only would it be completely amazing but it would be awsome for business as well, i really hope this new Yenko looks into it, or even someone else as long as their willing to do it right and put the right price on it

MikeL 10-29-2009 04:19 PM

I'm just glad American muscle cars are making such a strong comeback. This Yenko looks amazing though, can't wait till one hits the streets.

SSOOCH 10-29-2009 04:33 PM

I hate how people are whoring out names these days just to make a buck. It's not a Yenko and it will never be a Yenko! It's like all these Pretty Boys wearing their "Ed Hardy" clothes. They have no idea who Ed Hardy was or what he stood for. Yenko is rolling over in his grave.

2010 SSRS 10-29-2009 04:35 PM

Yeeaahhhh, Chevrolet King in the making, I love it.

Andro 10-29-2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSOOCH (Post 1107587)
I hate how people are whoring out names these days just to make a buck. It's not a Yenko and it will never be a Yenko! It's like all these Pretty Boys wearing their "Ed Hardy" clothes. They have no idea who Ed Hardy was or what he stood for. Yenko is rolling over in his grave.

+1

2003vette 10-29-2009 05:10 PM

**** z/28, ill take the yenko.

OVERPAR73 10-29-2009 05:12 PM

I'm really looking forward to the YANKO convertiable!! :happyanim:

AngryAmish 10-29-2009 05:24 PM

Those rims have the potential to be a whole lot of awesome.

AngryAmish 10-29-2009 05:27 PM

Funny thing is I am heavy tattooed and refuse to wear Ed Hardy clothes. So yeah, I gotta agree to a point. Anytime you glue fake little plastic jewels on a shirt and try and charge $90 for it...its simply not manly.

Now Sailor Jerry vodka on the other hand...thats manly.

Quote:

durrettcustoms 10-29-2009 05:36 PM

I dont understand why you guys are so upset with them bringing back the yenko name. They stuck to the Yenko tradition with super fast amazing looking Chevrolets. If they go out and make a 4 cyl yenko or a Yenko Mustang then there is reason to be ticked. As far as price they should be somewhere around 50k for the Phase 1. (but thats purely speculation)

Badger 10-29-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

+ 2

tones2SS 10-29-2009 05:46 PM

Just saw this on another site.
Need some "actual" car pics of this bad boy!! It bet it's a real mean car on the street. :drool::confused0068::thumbsup:

Vega 10-29-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durrettcustoms (Post 1107908)
I dont understand why you guys are so upset with them bringing back the yenko name. They stuck to the Yenko tradition with super fast amazing looking Chevrolets. If they go out and make a 4 cyl yenko or a Yenko Mustang then there is reason to be ticked. As far as price they should be somewhere around 50k for the Phase 1. (but thats purely speculation)

I agree with this guy, i mean yeah the name was bought but thats no reason to lose all faith in a business (yes believe it or not the real Yenko was a business, Don Yenko was the one who put it on the map but its still just a business) Hell take GM for example if you wanna get that harsh haha, GM isnt even GM anymore, the GM we all know was liquidated and now there's a new company in its place with the same name, some new people, and a new structure, basically the EXACT same thing as this new Yenko deal but people (with more than 2 brain cells) dont go around harassing them about it, why? cause its the saammee company, if the product is the same, the ideals are the same, the name fits, then it is what it is

"If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck then it's probly Yenko!" LOL