Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Teflon Paint Sealant (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148070)

cadyshac 05-19-2011 07:11 AM

Teflon Paint Sealant

The following is a "paint sealant" that the dealer is proposing for my 2SS, I have only had the car 2 weeks and the paint is flawless. Can this product really be as awesome as they make it sound? We garage the car but my wife does work at a power plant and sometimes drives it to work when the weather is good, potential for industrial fallout there!! I would really like to hear from some of the "paint pro's" on here. I just want to do what is going to be best in the long run.

QUOTE:
"Our product is a TEFLON based sealant that we skim coat on all cars, but actually apply a 2-coat permanant bonded layer when the product is purchased. This product actually is bonded to the clearcoat, and applied in 2-coats, and seals against acid rain, bird waste, dead bugs etc. In fact, we provide a 5-year, unlimited miles warranty with this product. We additionally include treatment for the interior leather, carpeting, headliner etc. against spills and stains. The interior is included in the 5-year warranty. This product is $624 for the full application and warranty."

cadyshac 05-19-2011 11:43 AM

No one knows anything about this stuff?

Dr Jkel 05-19-2011 11:48 AM

Do not waste your money, for 624.00 you can buy a great product from Adams and do it yourself for a WHOLE LOT LESS MONEY. Machine Super Wax is a sealant, then put a good coat of wax and you will be good to go. No wax or sealant will last 5 years if driven, JMHO

Go to Adamsforums.com and you can learn all you want and save yourself a bunch of money.

mulletman 05-19-2011 11:55 AM

Your paint is flawless now. Ask if you can see the lot boy applying the miracle Teflon sealant. I suspect you will decide to take care of the paint yourself.

cadyshac 05-19-2011 11:56 AM

Thanks lets hear more please!!

67 Convertible 05-19-2011 12:07 PM

If the dealer puts this stuff on, I'd be willing to bet you will have swirl marks all over the car.
It's gonna cost the dealer less than $50 to apply this stuff (more like $20), as said earlier, applied by a high school kid making $7.00 an hour, using dirty rags.
The rest of the $624 ($550) is the insurance policy which is clear profit as most people won't bother filing a claim, or will forget they ever had it done in the first place.

You can make more than 2 trips to a PROFESSIONAL car detailer for your $624 and have no swirl marks.........or polsih and wax your car yourself.
No one will take care of your car better than you.

Iwantone2 05-19-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 Convertible (Post 3239835)
If the dealer puts this stuff on, I'd be willing to bet you will have swirl marks all over the car.
It's gonna cost the dealer less than $50 to apply this stuff (more like $20), as said earlier, applied by a high school kid making $7.00 an hour, using dirty rags.
The rest of the $624 ($550) is the insurance policy which is clear profit as most people won't bother filing a claim, or forget they ever had it done in the first place.

You can make more than 2 trips to a PROFESSIONAL car detailer for your $624 and have no swirl marks.........or polsih and wax your car yourself.
No one will take care of your car better than you.

I think this pretty much sums it up.

I don't think anyone is going to care for your car's paint better than yourself.

cadyshac 05-19-2011 12:22 PM

Thanks, I was just looking at the Adam's super machinewax, I don't have a Porter Cable 7424 or any experience but that looks like the way to go. Either that or find someone locally who will or does use their products.

Adam's Polishes 05-19-2011 12:24 PM

Be leery of anything that claims to have 'Teflon' in it...

Teflon has a melting point north of 600*... so if they're offering to apply teflon to your paint they either have a heck of a big oven to put your car inside of or they're blowing smoke up your rear.

I'm gonna vote for the second option :)

cadyshac 05-19-2011 12:26 PM

Thank you , thank you I love this site!!!

Dr Jkel 05-19-2011 12:31 PM

PM Junkman or Dylan from Adams and ask them. That stuff is garbage and they just are taking your money and laughing all the way to the bank.

Iwantone2 05-19-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadyshac (Post 3239900)
Thanks, I was just looking at the Adam's super machinewax, I don't have a Porter Cable 7424 or any experience but that looks like the way to go. Either that or find someone locally who will or does use their products.

For the $624, you can get a PC and a bunch of Adam's Polishes products!

gofast908z 05-19-2011 01:12 PM

Having worked at a dealer in the past as the detail manager, I know all about this stuff.

I will tell you straight up its all lies they are telling you....all the stuff it will do. Lies.

Just put a good quality sealant like Zaino on it every 6 months and youre set.

My Caroline 05-19-2011 06:31 PM

I would like to add that I do have this option on my car, but I think my dealer also did the undercoating sound reduction at the same time. If your dealer is like mine this is a small "insurance" policy. My dealer will fix any door ding, scratch, or chip with no questions asked. If I somehow manage to spill something and stain my seats, my dealer will fix or replace the damaged material. Some people may think its stupid. I didn't buy the car, I got it for my birthday, so I wasn't about to call my parents dumb for such investments. Just remember OP, some people here think the spare tire and floor mats are stupid investments. I personally believer that $624is a small price to pay to protect your $40k+ investment.

Also, my car was delevered with no swirls. It is black so there are some now but they aren't bad.

Also also, not all of us high school kids have such extreme disrespect for other peoples things. I for one would love to work at a dealership at my age and get to work around cars I love. But dealers around me won't hire under 18 because of insurance.