Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   2011 Heads Up Display HUD went out! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369886)

OmniCamaro 07-22-2014 04:25 PM

2011 Heads Up Display HUD went out!

I used my MyLink Nav for the first time on Sunday. When I started my car when it was time to leave my HUD was gone. I've checked the fuzes under the hood and in the drivers kick panel (haven't checked the trunk yet) and I didn't find anything amiss. No fuzes were blown. Disconnected the battery for a few hours and still nothing. I broke down and made an appointment with the dealer for Thursday. Hoping my extended warranty will cover it but we'll see. I've got around 43000 miles.

Anyone have theirs go out? Anything else I can check?

Thanks!

OmniCamaro 07-26-2014 12:02 AM

Haven't made it to the dealer yet.

But this evening I am seeing the HUD display very dimly. Little bit brighter on the left side and faded out to the right side.
Any ideas on any troubleshooting or wiring I could check?

OmniCamaro 07-26-2014 09:19 AM

Can't see it at all during the day. If someone has any wiring diagrams for the HUD I would appreciate that as well

OmniCamaro 07-30-2014 09:36 AM

Dropped the car off yesterday with several issues, one being the HUD. I called to check on it just now and the HUD module has definitely gone out. Way too few miles for this to go out! Not happy about it at all!

Facts:
44000 miles which I'm positive some of those are ghost miles but not sure how many. I purchased some lower profile tires and ran them without any computer changes for a little over a year, at least.
My car is garage kept and I also use a windshield heatshield when I do park outside for any period of time.
In short, no idea what made this thing go out this soon.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-30-2014 10:15 AM

You got one with a low life span, it happens it can last 1 min to 30 years no telling.

OmniCamaro 07-30-2014 11:55 AM

Definitely sucks though. Out of warranty of course but I do have an extended warranty but I believe there may be a deductible. Still waiting to hear from the dealer.

RobertRS 07-30-2014 01:13 PM

Curious as to whether you leave the HUD on all the time or just use it once in a while? Ours is off mostly and only used occasionally.

OmniCamaro 07-30-2014 03:06 PM

Always on. Couldn't imagine turning it off for any reason really.

RobertRS 07-30-2014 03:21 PM

If running it all the time proved to cause it to go out earlier than expected ,I could think of at least one reason to not run it all the time. Especially if not covered under warranty.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 07-30-2014 09:03 PM

We have 90k on the 2010 with HUD and N.P. having it on all the time.

RobertRS 07-30-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy (Post 7855930)
We have 90k on the 2010 with HUD and N.P. having it on all the time.

That's encouraging info.:smoking:

Ragnar 08-01-2014 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought mine was having issues, so I took a picture at a red light, and this is what I saw!

OmniCamaro 08-06-2014 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragnar (Post 7860319)
I thought mine was having issues, so I took a picture at a red light, and this is what I saw!

LOL

OmniCamaro 08-06-2014 12:02 PM

Dealer replaced mine and the new one is about 5 times brighter than the old one ever was. Must have gotten a bad one from the factory? It's a shame for those that this kind of thing may happen to that don't have some kind of extended warranty. I got lucky basically.
I also had my A/C pump replaced/rebuilt as well. It sounded like it had sand in it when I took it in.
In all about $2500 worth of work for around $100.

Also, I'm going to list my mods. The only thing that happened out of the ordinary was the guy I requested to do the work asked if I had a tune. This was while I was leaving. He was curious if my headers and exhaust ever set off my check engine light, which mine has never done even without the tune. I did return the car back to stock before I took it in.

Mods: CAI intake w/Apex scoop, full Dynatech exhaust with 17/8 headers to 3" cat back with no cats, JRE tune. It's race car loud and I love it!