Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   5.7 Hemi vs. Speculated Camaro base V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2603)

smike07 01-17-2008 11:22 AM

5.7 Hemi vs. Speculated Camaro base V8

In regards to the 5.7 liter V8 in the base Challenger V8, GM will likely have something with a little more juice. I realize there is no hard evidence to back this up, but GM will probably not want to take a step backwards. For instance, their 2002 Z28 already has a 5.7 liter LS1. Why would they make that their entry level V8 again? The GTO ended up with a detuned 6.0 LS2, what's to say the Camaro's entry level V8 will have anything less? This is where Moore's law comes into play. Every two years technology doubles. That means the '06 model LS2 will have theoretically doubled in technological advancement, (don't get this confused with horse power) so in theory, it would be an relatively inexpensive move for GM to put something into the Camaro in the final quarter of 2008 that would equal the LS2 (i.e. active fuel management, [relatively same engine as LS2 with a couple of added benefits and call it something else])? Just a theory. I'm sure GM will not allow Mopar to get a 1up on them... especially when GM is coming out with the Camaro many months after the Challenger.

JamesJ 01-17-2008 12:36 PM

the ls2 would be fine for me, i think it would combat the base challenger very nicely, but their pushing the ls3 more it seems, theyre killing the ls1, and ls7 i believe, so that leaves the 3, 6, and 9 in my mind

Mr. Wyndham 01-17-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesJ (Post 40184)
the ls2 would be fine for me, i think it would combat the base challenger very nicely, but their pushing the ls3 more it seems, theyre killing the ls1, and ls7 i believe, so that leaves the 3, 6, and 9 in my mind

Mild corrections:

The LS1 is already gone. The LS2 is as good as gone. The LS7 shouldn't last much longer (supposedly going to be replaced by the LS8). The LS6 was the LS7's predecessor, i.e. it's already gone, too. The LS4 is the Impala's V8, too small, and weak for the Camaro.

So all that leaves of engine we actually know of, is L76, LS3, and LS9.......you pick.;)

Emher 01-17-2008 01:44 PM

Well seeing as GM's now said that they're not going to make more new V8s I think we're "stuck" with whatevers avaible or comfirmed as being developed now. Assuming we even get a V8 (disaster scenario, I know).

Mr. Wyndham 01-17-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emher (Post 40194)
Well seeing as GM's now said that they're not going to make more new V8s I think we're "stuck" with whatevers avaible or comfirmed as being developed now. Assuming we even get a V8 (disaster scenario, I know).

No. no. they didn't say that. The whole article was a response to GM's cancellation of the NorthStar V8 replacement. (i.e. "new" V8's). If they did it, it they would have had two different V8 families. With new fuel regs...that's dumb.

Improving on the Chevy Small block is a must. And as long as trucks have 'em...we stand a good chance at getting them.

Sweeper 01-17-2008 02:30 PM

my burb has a 5.4 liter... I imagine the base model will have something based on that engine.

The only other choices are the 6.0 or 6.2 liter?

What do you all think?

radz28 01-17-2008 02:48 PM

Don't forget about the LSA and LS8.

Ugh, the suspense...

The_Stache 01-17-2008 03:49 PM

Just as a note to the facts. The new 5.7 hemi out in the 09 rams and LX body's will have 380 HP up from the 345 HP.

Again just maintaining facts.

Emher 01-17-2008 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 40196)
No. no. they didn't say that. The whole article was a response to GM's cancellation of the NorthStar V8 replacement. (i.e. "new" V8's). If they did it, it they would have had two different V8 families. With new fuel regs...that's dumb.

Improving on the Chevy Small block is a must. And as long as trucks have 'em...we stand a good chance at getting them.

After reading the article again and realising it's very...how to say...opinionated in it's writing I realise that I overreacted. A lot of it s probably because things are NOT going well in my life right now and when it looked to me like my one real goal at the moment was going to be watered down I panicked. I apolagize.

camarocrazy28 01-17-2008 06:54 PM

Challenge the Challenger!

An automotive magazine I subscribe to has pix and pricing for '08 Challenger SRT. Sweet ride. Camaro looks better! The Challenger SRT boasts a 6.1 Hemi with over 400 hp. I am sure that GM will fortify the small block for the Camaro with more. That direct injection LS would be cool and so would the LS3. But will GM really use a Vette motor in the Camaro? Although they have done so in the past I don't think the LS3 from the Vette is likely. I like the idea of the direct injection LS2 but, as of this moment, that engine is experimental and it has been indicated that the Camaro will not have an LS2. So what engine will the new Cmaro have? We can only speculate for now.

DGthe3 01-17-2008 07:06 PM

a 380 hp 5.7 makes things very interesting. The new camaro could get away with having the L76 due to weight, but its a bigger engine making less power. not very impressive. the LS3 seems like overkill for the base V8 engine, that leaves a hp gap of over 125 between top V6 and base V8. I'm gonna say that there is possibly going to be a brand new engine for as the base V8.

Jak 01-17-2008 08:22 PM

I gotta disagree a little. Okey, sure the Challenger's gonna have the 380hp 5.7 engine. Sounds good, but ya gotta remember this things a boat. The L76 big engine less Hp's, but the Camaro's gonna weigh less, so I'm thinking it's basically be an even match. But for some reason I don't think we're getting that. I get the feeling that GM has something else in store for us. They want . . no, need to make this car as big a hit as possible right from the start.

WillInThe04Ranger 01-17-2008 08:42 PM

I know one model will have a Supercharged LS9 in it but I assume for a base ..... a LS6? (Shooting high I know lol)

stovt001 01-17-2008 08:49 PM

I'm seriously thinking we stand a good chance at seeing some Gen V engines in the Camaro. I mean after the whole CAFE thing came to a head Scott told us to forget everything we thought about engines, so it seems reasonable to me.