Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   2014 Tail lights ! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313573)

skipinminn 08-17-2013 09:53 PM

2014 Tail lights !

I had a chance to talk to Scott Settlemire at C5fest and asked about all the dislike for the tail lights. He pointed out WAY back when the first Camaro Gen5's were shown, Lots of comments were made they look to much like Corvette. He then pointed out the new 2014 tail lights can be sold in Europe and Abroad. This save's money not having to make two different production rear bumpers. This saving's can be used in Research and Development. Like finding ways to make the Camaro lighter. It all made sense and made my dislike seem small, actually kind of selfish. Well Just my 2cents worth :)

Casperadub70 08-17-2013 09:54 PM

+1

skipinminn 08-17-2013 09:55 PM

2014 Tail Lights!

I had a chance to talk to Scott Settlemire at C5fest and asked about all the dislike for the tail lights. He pointed out WAY back when the first Camaro Gen5's were shown, Lots of comments were made they look to much like Corvette. He then pointed out the new 2014 tail lights can be sold in Europe and Abroad. This save's money not having to make two different production rear bumpers. This saving's can be used in Research and Development. Like finding ways to make the Camaro lighter. It all made sense and made my dislike seem small, actually kind of selfish. Well Just my 2cents worth :) :faint::fear:

Casperadub70 08-17-2013 09:55 PM

+1 again

My45thAnniversaryCamaro 08-17-2013 10:31 PM

I just saw them for the first time and liked them

Nessal 08-18-2013 02:09 AM

Don't believe it. I doubt it makes any real difference.

nfl46 08-18-2013 03:18 AM

We shall see. I bet the 6th Gen have them. :(

DRKnight1SS 08-18-2013 03:34 AM

Even if they did use the extra savings on R&D it still doesn't make them look better (at least in the daylight) or change my outlook on them. I do however think they look decent at night lit up.

christianchevell 08-18-2013 09:44 AM

they are still ugly and non retro and the r & d money will be all spent on the next gen, not this final refresh its a so what people would say round taillights look too much like a thousand other cars but look good.........

Maybe the r&d money could go to remove AFM from the new corvette and the next gen Camaro............. and make a engine that can be have a new cam put in it easy.

shrinkdoc 08-18-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipinminn (Post 6910844)
I had a chance to talk to Scott Settlemire at C5fest and asked about all the dislike for the tail lights. He pointed out WAY back when the first Camaro Gen5's were shown, Lots of comments were made they look to much like Corvette. He then pointed out the new 2014 tail lights can be sold in Europe and Abroad. This save's money not having to make two different production rear bumpers. This saving's can be used in Research and Development. Like finding ways to make the Camaro lighter. It all made sense and made my dislike seem small, actually kind of selfish. Well Just my 2cents worth :)

OK...so maybe they work abroad also I guess because they wrap around, that still no excuse to lift them off some ugly Honda Acura. They could have made them wrap around slotted, recessed, vented or something. This is a step back in styling not forward. Harley Earl would not have put up with this.:mad2:

ToolFan66 08-18-2013 10:18 AM

LOL!! GM has been working on the 5th gen since what 2005-2006 maybe even earlier? And these cars had to be changed to look like this? Please R&D my ass, I can see R&D on the Z/28 but the rest of the family? I don't think so.

How long have they been doing this?

Even the stuck on fender flares on the Z/28 look cheap, and an after thought, it looks stupid, I would only own it because of it's performance, nothing else..

They got the Vette right, and the Camaro wrong, plan and simple..

intensifi 08-18-2013 10:18 AM

Are these tail lights used on any other GM product besides the Camaro? Maybe that is the real reason...

rdblan2 08-18-2013 01:34 PM

They didn't look as bad in person as they do in pictures. I get the reasoning but I'm still not a fan. I'd imagine after they become more common folks will forget about them and accept how they look.

Cincy10SSRS 08-20-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdblan2 (Post 6912364)
They didn't look as bad in person as they do in pictures. I get the reasoning but I'm still not a fan. I'd imagine after they become more common folks will forget about them and accept how they look.

Saw a bunch of them at the Fest, some right next to 2010-2013 cars, and I agree with the comment above. Really, truly, honestly don't care for the look but it's no huge deal.