Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Tremec TR6060 1LE ISSUES! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261882)

BLKSS1LE 11-20-2012 10:40 PM

Tremec TR6060 1LE ISSUES!

Guys I am sorry to start this thread, but I have to. I know this thread is out there on camaro5, mustang, etc. but I did not see it coming for the 1LE because the ZL1's dont seem to have this issue. This is an ongoing issue and in my opinion based on the amazing number of us struggling with this issue on all major supplier's. Ford, GM, Chrysler cars equipped with the TR6060 transmissions.

Please share if anyone is struggling or will be soon struggling with similar notching issues or grinding issues with 1>2 shifts and/or 2>3 shifts.

Background:
1) I have been driving manual cars for 10 plus years with no issues at all (mustang, GTI, etc.).
2) This is NOT and Nor does it have anything to do with the 1 to 4 skip shift that this car (or transmission) has. I have had it come on several times and no issues with that.

Problem:
My car is a 1ss 1le with 340 miles on it. It started from day one with 12 miles on it where it would will feel notchy from 1>2, 2>3 when shifting. This occurs every time to some degree from 1>2 and about 50% of the time from 2>3(with a hot engine and transmission it is slightly reduced). :yikes:

Another BIG problem is when down shifting or up shifting from any gear to 2nd it physically will not go into 2nd. :yikes:I can try to rev match with the clutch all the way in with no luck. Finally, at about 15 mph or so and about 15 lbs of forcing it back into 2nd it will clunk into gear with a notchy feeling:mad0260:

PLEASE ALL OF THE 1LE GUYS SHARE YOUR SHIFTER FEEL GOOD OR BAD SO I KNOW I AM NOT ALONE GETTING THE ONLY BAD 1LE :cry: TPW OF 10/15.

I am not complaining just trying to get feedback and will share my story as it progresses. Dealer apt. next Tuesday.

SleepWarz 11-20-2012 10:55 PM

My ss had the notchy shifts that you described until I switched the Trans fluid with Royal Purple. However I only had a 2-3 notch. Cold weather/fluids would also produce the same effects until warmed. But it was REALLY bad before I got the fluid changed.

According to your big problem though, sounds like a big problem and I hope your dealer appt goes well! Almost sounds to me like your clutch isn't fully disengaging.

tramtwo 11-21-2012 12:53 AM

Man I didn't want to see this. Got me worried. There are hundreds of threads on the grind from 1st to 2nd on this site may want to check some out.

I have almost 23k on this 2011 LS3 and of all manual cars I have ever driven this one had the biggest learning curve. I am forced to delay my shift when at high rpms. For about a quarter of a second or so. As the rpms climb this sled really gets moving around 4k . If I shift like I have my entire life there is a grind...but if I hold the clutch pedal till the shifter seats all the way into second I'm good. If I try to release precisely when I think I've hit second it will grind. I have to deadly just a bit.

No issues for me down shifting.

scubadoo7 11-21-2012 06:05 AM

Uh oh, sure hope all our tranny's won't have this issue! Maybe your tuesday appointment will solve things.Thanks for the heads up!

Mgizzle 11-21-2012 06:07 AM

I had the same TPW as you and I dont have issues with 750 miles on the car. I drive it in higher RPMs too now and often enthusiastically. I heel and toe a lot into second without issues. My 1-2 shift is nothing strange to me, I have driven various other manual cars with high power and various shift feels and the 1LE feel is a lot better and precise in my opinion.

Not sure if the synchros are different 1st to 2nd but in most cars they are because they see a lot more use, which results in those gears having a different feel.

Manual cars are notchy, nature of trans, and is one of the main reasons why many high end cars are getting rid of them. however, you should be able to shift down into second without issues and not hear grinding when shifting up into second.

bpdcop100 11-21-2012 06:38 AM

My 1LE is my fourth gen 5 camaro, all sticks. The third one had the Hurst shifter and it was the worst shifting car. I put 12,000 miles in it and it never shifted correct from 1 to 2. No issues from 2 to 3. The 1LE has the regular shifter and it seems to shift rough when cold but gets better when the fluid warms.

sycraft 11-21-2012 06:41 AM

Have them make sure there is no air in the clutch lines and that the fluid is full.

cornerspeed92 11-21-2012 06:05 PM

Well this is discouraging news :(((( my 1LE should be here this weekend :))))))))) so i should know shortly if i have any of these issues.

LS3 SS 11-21-2012 06:15 PM

In case you guys didn't know, Tremec has not changed anything with the design of the TR6060; even though the car is new, the Transmission is the still the same, which means still the same issues.

v6sonoma 11-21-2012 06:58 PM

Have my car for 3 years now. Never had any of these issues. That stinks man, but it sounds like yours has something wrong. :(

b4z 11-22-2012 10:45 AM

The up shift problem is somewhat common, both my GTOs had it, but the downshift issue is a problem.

2008yellow 11-22-2012 09:06 PM

Pretty common in the Corvette world more in the years starting in 2008 when the Tremec was put in. I think it is made in Mexico but an American company and design. Long story

LSxJunkie 11-23-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2008yellow (Post 5836695)
Pretty common in the Corvette world more in the years starting in 2008 when the Tremec was put in. I think it is made in Mexico but an American company and design. Long story

GM has been using TREMECs since the early 90s. The T56 was originally a Borg Warner design, which they licensed to TREMEC. The TR6060 which showed up in 2008 is just a built T56.

Check your clutch fluid and flush your trans in the first 2000 miles. Personally, I like Amsoil for trans fluid. YMMV.

BLKSS1LE 11-27-2012 09:52 PM

The apt. went okay today.. the tech road along with me and I let him shift the gears for me and he did notice the rough shifts and how it is extremely notchy going from 1 to 2. We could not get it to block him out of second. He will keep it outside and try again in the morning with cold fluid. We will see what the next steps should be.. but still not sure if I want to tear apart a brand new transmition.