Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Chevy,Buick or Olds Firebird? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25726)

Hemlawk 06-04-2009 07:54 AM

Chevy,Buick or Olds Firebird?

Since Pontiac is going away I think one of the GM companies should bring back the Firebird. It could have the same things that the Camaro has, but with a different body and slightly changed interior and options.

A trams Am is the only other car I would consider over a new Camaro. Even if it was made by Buick.

lafountain 06-04-2009 08:26 AM

As much as we all love the Firebird and Trans Am names, they must die with Pontiac. I could not see the names being put on any other brand and if it were to happen, I would not feel right even considering them part of the same heritage as the Pontiac Firebird.

djinva 06-04-2009 08:33 AM

A Buick Trans Am.....just doesn't sound right.

PQ 06-04-2009 09:50 AM

I would be HIGHLY pissed if there were a Trans Am before a Z28 or Iroc.

I never liked the Firebird. I allways thought they just were Camaro wannabes who fooled people with a few body cuts and gimmicks.

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Just sayin'

MrIcky 06-04-2009 09:59 AM

I'm against that because one of the larger reasons GM is in bankruptcy court is brand dilution. Let Camaro have it's limelight and draw some sales. The G8 is gone and a Buick version of the G8 would make far more sense if you wanted to go the Buick route without competing directly against yourself.

liquidfire350 06-04-2009 10:10 AM

the only way ill accept another car as a firebird is if its a pontiac

and GM killed off Olds a while ago, late 90's if i remember right.

Zhawk 06-04-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djinva (Post 550669)
A Buick Trans Am.....just doesn't sound right.

Agreed. Trans Am and Firebird are part of Pontiacs heritage.

Besides if Buick does bring back a name for a Muscle Car, it has a few.
Grand National, GNX, GS, GSX (last 2 from the old a Body Skylark, not from later).
Here...
http://pnwcc.com/gall/gallery/albums...k/DSCF0824.jpg

And yes, that's a Skylark Custom and not a real GSX (tto bad)

Olds is unfortuantely dead. That leaves Chevy from the named list and it already has the Camaro and all of its rich heritage. Although, giving Chevy the G8 and all of its Aussie forms would give a great Chevelle lineup.

2SSJIM 06-04-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irpq11 (Post 550913)
I would be HIGHLY pissed if there were a Trans Am before a Z28 or Iroc.

I never liked the Firebird. I allways thought they just were Camaro wannabes who fooled people with a few body cuts and gimmicks.

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Just sayin'

Hey now! Watch that.... them Firebird/Trans Am folks will take offense! I own a '79 and yes many people mistake it for a Camaro and it does have a heritage just like the Camaro. :D
Just so you know.... I didn't take offense!

The_Blur 06-04-2009 12:43 PM

Placing the Firebird in the hands of another company would be like Cadillac making the next DB9. While it might be attractive, it defies history and tradition. Pontiac is the only brand to build Firebirds.

PQ 06-04-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSJIM (Post 551553)
Hey now! Watch that.... them Firebird/Trans Am folks will take offense! I own a '79 and yes many people mistake it for a Camaro and it does have a heritage just like the Camaro. :D
Just so you know.... I didn't take offense!

:respekt:

Firebird was like 6 months behind the Camaro if I'm not mistaken. They've allways been together and firebird is certainly a part of US muscle history and I may be the ONLY one to feel the way I do. :iono:

Danno 06-04-2009 01:14 PM

Dissin' on the Trans Am makes baby Jesus cry :(

JJ#48Racing 06-04-2009 01:15 PM

The Firebird name should die with Pontiac. I think Pontiac will be back though, but probably not for at least 10yrs.

Zhawk 06-04-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ#48Racing (Post 551704)
The Firebird name should die with Pontiac. I think Pontiac will be back though, but probably not for at least 10yrs.

I wouldn't count on it. I think both Olds and Pontiac are gone.

manimsoblack 06-04-2009 02:57 PM

Give it a decade Pontiac will be back.