Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   California Emissions Legal Cam (s) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124968)

FUN4JT 01-19-2011 03:53 PM

California Emissions Legal Cam (s)

Aside from the LS9 cam (assumption is it will pass Ca. emissions) what options do I have for cams in CA? Both NA and SC.
Long range plans are to go with either a KB or Whipple on my LS3...:laugh:

bowtiedriver 01-20-2011 05:12 PM

I can feel your pain in looking for that answer. Been trying to find something for a while. My L76 needs something a little bigger than what it has. I wander if I used an LS2 cam, or the cam from the L99 in my 6.0L block if that would pass the sniffer test. Wanting a small bump in power. I am not a cam expert by any means, but I think we are going to be somewhat limited here in California. The GMPP "hot cam" isn't even California legal, right???

FUN4JT 01-20-2011 06:29 PM

While I haven't looked into the GMPP "hot cam" recently I think I recall a notice about it being for "off road" use only. We may be limited to the LS9 cam but hopefully local (CA.) LSx tuners may be able to provide an answer.
Ideally I'd like to optimize the SC but not necessarily the end of the world if we can't stray outside of CARB limitations. Will post any findings as I gather them.

FTI-EDC 01-21-2011 11:23 AM

There are a few profiles that can be developed to work with highly regulated emission states such as California and Massachusetts. If you work with Mike at New Era performance parts in NY, I'm sure he can help you out with the correct valvetrain package.

hairzee 06-14-2012 07:48 PM

Sorry for resurrecting a dead post but when I do a search this what I get ...

What are people doing that live in these super restrictive smog states. Are people just going to swap cams come smog time or find "other" less reputable means of passing smog? Or can someone reccomend a grind that will pass. Or is the ls9 the only one.

I would love the JRE rough idle cam, especially since I can get it tuned through him for free. But come smog time, or even worse when I sell, what do I do then. I dont mind changing headers but a cam would be a real pain.

A SC is not off the table but I do love the sound and price of a cam. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Parag 06-14-2012 08:24 PM

If you have a rough idle, it wont pass

nitto85 07-01-2012 08:32 PM

Is this the same for emissions in every state, or is California especially strict? I live in a emissions county here in Georgia and have a LS9 cam, but would eventually like to move to something that makes more power.

nighttowl 07-01-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairzee (Post 5129127)

What are people doing that live in these super restrictive smog states

we save our stock parts!