Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   $600 For painted Ground Effects (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22067)

jpsuperman81 05-09-2009 08:47 AM

$600 For painted Ground Effects

This is what my dealer quoted meaning if I add them straight up and get them painted its 2865. I like the look they add but that almost 3k, now i know i can get them on here cheaper obviously not including installation. I think I could save several hundred dollars though, now part of me wants to help my local dealer but when were talking about a possible 5 or 600 dollar difference how much loyalty are we suppose to have. I think the cheapest price on here is around 1600, now assuming I still spend 600 to paint thats 2200 and a local reputable shop charges me 200 to install I'm at 2400 so roughly I can save 465 dollars. SHould i ask dealer for a better price and tell them if they can match online price I will do it, does that run the risk of pissing the dealer off. I mean I know everyone has to make their money but they are still making profit i'm not asking for their cost.

Chevyrocker 05-09-2009 09:12 AM

Nothing wrong with a little negotiation...But make sure you print out your quotes and everything so your claims can hold some water.

jpsuperman81 05-09-2009 09:48 AM

Well i don't own a printer never needed one but now it looks like I should get one for odds and ends. If push came to shove i can just pull this website up for them or show them an email. I know camaroscotty on here has a posted price of 1600 something and another guy on here was doing 15% above cost and is now doing 20% above cost which is still around 1500 or 1600 and both are public information on this website.

91RS 05-11-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 (Post 471506)
, now part of me wants to help my local dealer but when were talking about a possible 5 or 600 dollar difference how much loyalty are we suppose to have.

You want to HELP YOUR LOCAL DEALER? Are you kidding me guy? Why do you give a crap about your local dealer? do you think youre local dealer gives a rats ass about you?? HE DOESNT. Do what you have to do to pay as less as you can for what you want.

LOL "I wanna help my local dealer" LOL Thats hilarious.:mad0259:

wullger 05-11-2009 12:31 PM

Wow, chill out. Some dealers are pretty cool people, and not out to rip you off.

Xmicro_SS 05-11-2009 12:36 PM

I understand, I too like my dealer. All dealers are a part of your community an they do employee 20, 30, 40 or more local people. The good thing about the dealer doing it, is that if it gets screwed up you get another car. You will not take delivery until you see the work. To me that is worth a few hundred bucks........but it is up to you.

jstein 05-11-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wullger (Post 476753)
Wow, chill out. Some dealers are pretty cool people, and not out to rip you off.

I agree with you. There is a salesman that my family works with and he calls us every few months to see how things are still going with our cars. We can walk up to him and he can call us by name. There are some great people that work at the dealers.

jpsuperman81 05-11-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 91RS (Post 476728)
You want to HELP YOUR LOCAL DEALER? Are you kidding me guy? Why do you give a crap about your local dealer? do you think youre local dealer gives a rats ass about you?? HE DOESNT. Do what you have to do to pay as less as you can for what you want.

LOL "I wanna help my local dealer" LOL Thats hilarious.:mad0259:

Wow people like you I could type a book. I like to help my local everybody, do I go to walmart no i go to ACE hardware that is locally owned thats been in my tiny town since I was a kid. The more money we can keep local the better off we are is the way i see it. Now that said i shop for a lot of stuff online as well but if its something that can help a local business and their price is close I'm gonna help them. I use to manage a bowling proshop and I'm not sure how many people on here are avid bowlers but a top end ball Sells for 200 to maybe 230 including drilling. Well the local proshop is the backbone of bowling and we got treated the worst. Huge online retailers sell bowling balls online most of the time with free shipping for about 10 or 15 over what our cost in the bowling balls are, example most high performance balls online are 149.95 shipped and those same balls cost us about 135. Now obviously they are paying something to ship them so they are not counting on selling 1000 balls and making $5 it wouldn't be worth it, so easy answer is they are getting a better price even though manufacturers swear to us that the local shop is getting best price possible. So us being a brick and mortar shop obviously have to keep our price at $149.95 to keep up. So we make $15 and whatever our drilling charge is because if u buy it online or from us you still gotta get it drilled. Well people bring us balls left and right from the internet and yes of course we drill them and yes of course we make money, but the very same balls they are bringing we gotta keep in stock too and use up our money to do so. We have employees to pay taxes to pay and so on and so forth. Now I don't blaim the internet companys for making money , the problem is the manufacturer not setting the same pricing for everyone. Now obviously my local dealer has their normal mark on these ground effects, their margin if you will. Their margins are there for a reason they have bills to pay like the rest of us, but I would rather give them a chance to match the best price I can find and still let them make profit maybe not as much profit but still profit because they are local to me. their employess drive home to their familys each night in our town and if I can help them out I prefer to do so.

2010SSRSM6 05-11-2009 05:32 PM

I saw first hand how detailed the installation process is to get the gfx installed. The dealership has to remove the front facia, rear bumper cover and both lower side moldings. I was told this is to ensure that the paint matches properly. The dealership I orderd from only has 1 certified Camaro tech that can disassyemble and reassemble the car. i don't know if I would want to take it to my local "custom" shop and let them experiment on my $40k investment.

Just my $.02

newcamaroowner 05-11-2009 06:17 PM

I would go ahead and go the dealer way, because...if it gets messed up during the process..they fix it..its all warrantied work if you do that stuff through your dealer..its done by GM, etc....I know its a little bit more money....but, it will be warrantied with your car...im sure your other route has a warranty too, but I just dont know about custom shops touching my ride..I had an 08 silverado...had the bumper taken off and welded a roll pan on it, they painted the whole bed of my truck and stuff...the rollpan looked good, but they didnt blend the paint..so , i had to take it several times to get it fixed..just my situation as an example...

LabRat 05-11-2009 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 (Post 471580)
Well i don't own a printer never needed one but now it looks like I should get one for odds and ends. If push came to shove i can just pull this website up for them or show them an email. I know camaroscotty on here has a posted price of 1600 something and another guy on here was doing 15% above cost and is now doing 20% above cost which is still around 1500 or 1600 and both are public information on this website.

Just take a disk/cd/dvd/usb stick to Kinko's.

Problem solved.

kdoske 05-11-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wullger (Post 476753)

:sm0:

lol, j/k

gtjacket 05-12-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsuperman81 (Post 476917)
Wow people like you I could type a book. I like to help my local everybody, do I go to walmart no i go to ACE hardware that is locally owned thats been in my tiny town since I was a kid. The more money we can keep local the better off we are is the way i see it. Now that said i shop for a lot of stuff online as well but if its something that can help a local business and their price is close I'm gonna help them. I use to manage a bowling proshop and I'm not sure how many people on here are avid bowlers but a top end ball Sells for 200 to maybe 230 including drilling. Well the local proshop is the backbone of bowling and we got treated the worst. Huge online retailers sell bowling balls online most of the time with free shipping for about 10 or 15 over what our cost in the bowling balls are, example most high performance balls online are 149.95 shipped and those same balls cost us about 135. Now obviously they are paying something to ship them so they are not counting on selling 1000 balls and making $5 it wouldn't be worth it, so easy answer is they are getting a better price even though manufacturers swear to us that the local shop is getting best price possible. So us being a brick and mortar shop obviously have to keep our price at $149.95 to keep up. So we make $15 and whatever our drilling charge is because if u buy it online or from us you still gotta get it drilled. Well people bring us balls left and right from the internet and yes of course we drill them and yes of course we make money, but the very same balls they are bringing we gotta keep in stock too and use up our money to do so. We have employees to pay taxes to pay and so on and so forth. Now I don't blaim the internet companys for making money , the problem is the manufacturer not setting the same pricing for everyone. Now obviously my local dealer has their normal mark on these ground effects, their margin if you will. Their margins are there for a reason they have bills to pay like the rest of us, but I would rather give them a chance to match the best price I can find and still let them make profit maybe not as much profit but still profit because they are local to me. their employess drive home to their familys each night in our town and if I can help them out I prefer to do so.

jpsuperman, i grew up in GA and now live in KY so i totally understand your point. The problem is that people from the Northeast are raised to always put themselves before others and have no concept of community. I travel a lot and i spend quite a bit of time in the northeast. I do not blame them because this is how they are raised. They cannot understand why southerners care about people they hardly know

91RS 05-13-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtjacket (Post 481385)
jpsuperman, i grew up in GA and now live in KY so i totally understand your point. The problem is that people from the Northeast are raised to always put themselves before others and have no concept of community. I travel a lot and i spend quite a bit of time in the northeast. I do not blame them because this is how they are raised. They cannot understand why southerners care about people they hardly know

gtjacket, easy there John Rocker. How am I putting myself before others? Maybe YOU live in a town with a few hundred people where everyone knows everyone, but not everybody does. Everyone knows that car dealers are bloodsucking creatures who will try to squeeze every last penny out of you that they can, REGARDLESS of how nice a guy you are or what your financial situation is. Do you think dealers mark up Camaros $5,000 - $10,000 over invoice because they "care about you"? Sure there are some good ones out there, of course. But if I have a choice to get something for less than thats the route Im gonna go. Times are rough, Im not out to do anyone favors right now. More power to you if you wanna pay more simply because your dealer comes across as a nice guy but not evryone can, thats what Im saying. And dont be so quick to assume how people from the Northeast are raised because of whatever stupid views you have. You're from Kentucky right? Most people have the idea that people from the south have sex with their sister, but you probably dont do you? So keep your opinions to yourself.