Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   No Brake Control in snow (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328132)

camaromaybe 11-14-2013 08:13 AM

No Brake Control in snow

I have a 2010 2LT RS. Everytime I drive it in snow, if I lose tire traction, I also lose complete control over my brakes.

As soon as my tires hit a patch of ice while I'm braking, the brake pedal starts to vibrate so forcefully that I can barely keep my foot on the pedal.

I drove a 2000 pontiac grand am in the snow for 5 years and never experienced anything similar. It scared me so much that I just stopped driving it during the snow but after donating my pontiac, I'm afraid I won't have that option this year.

Anybody have any idea if this is normal or know what might be the cause of it?

SPARTAN sui 11-14-2013 08:20 AM

Your ABS is kicking in because the loss of traction. You need winter tires.

The All Season Pirelli's are terrible in snow.

Apex Motorsports 11-14-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaromaybe (Post 7185373)
I have a 2010 2LT RS. Everytime I drive it in snow, if I lose tire traction, I also lose complete control over my brakes.

As soon as my tires hit a patch of ice while I'm braking, the brake pedal starts to vibrate so forcefully that I can barely keep my foot on the pedal.

I drove a 2000 pontiac grand am in the snow for 5 years and never experienced anything similar. It scared me so much that I just stopped driving it during the snow but after donating my pontiac, I'm afraid I won't have that option this year.

Anybody have any idea if this is normal or know what might be the cause of it?

When you hit the ice and are on the brakes there is no traction and your brakes lock up. This activates ABS which is the vibration you are feeling. The computer is pumping the brakes trying to regain traction.

Your Pontiac was front wheel drive so it was a totally different animal in the snow. With rear wheel drive you have to be a lot more intentional about everything. Slow down sooner, accelerate more gradually. You need to slow way down and come off the brake pedal before turning. Winter tires help and well.

Bpw72 11-14-2013 08:45 AM

Unless you have put different tires on your car you probably don't even have all season tires, you have summer tires. Summer tires are not even good when it's cold let alone when there is snow on the road.

camaromaybe 11-14-2013 10:02 AM

Thanks for all of your responses! I was experiencing this with the stock Pirelli's. Not sure if they were all weather or summer tires. I bought a new set of all weathers this spring (can't remember the brand). Hopefully they'll fair better, if not then I look into getting a set of snow tires.

I was primarily concerned there was something wrong with my braking system(I know very little about cars). At least it sounds like there's nothing wrong with my baby. You guys are the best! :-)