Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   "It's just a car" What does the Camaro mean to you? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10920)

CynAgain 12-24-2008 08:28 AM

"It's just a car" What does the Camaro mean to you?

I'll be the first to admit my ocd is in full swing on this Camaro and I spend most of my free time browsing this site. I got it.

I'm also very vocal about my enthusiasm and two days ago I got this statement back...

"It's just a car." :mad0259:

I realize it may not be possible to explain to some people, but I was totally speechless and when I did start talking I fumbled. Help me explain why this Camaro is not just another car...

Please put my thoughts and feelings into words :wub:

Inspector 17 12-24-2008 08:50 AM

Well Cyndi, I think this car is something a little different for everyone. Only you can put into words what the car is for you. But here is my best shot at what it means for me.

When I was younger, my father and I were going to trade a car (76 Cadillac) in and buy a 1969 Camaro SS together. I can see it in my mind like it was yesterday. Red with white rally stripes. Mostly stock. I can see the chrome shining. Unfortunately, my father got sick and died before we could buy the car. That was something like 20 years ago. Ever since then, I just couldn't bring myself to trade the old car for the '69 even though I have come across many of them over that time.

When the concept Camaro rolled out onto that stage what seems like so long ago, I said that's it. That's the car that Dad would want me to have. So I watched the news and this site for every tidbit of information to come out. And when the ordering was opened, I placed mine for a red SS with white stripes. Almost just like that '69 I have seen in my mind so many times. When the car finally comes in and I sit down into the seat, it will be the end of a project that my Father and I never got to complete. And even though he won't be there at the dealer in person to pick it up with me, he will be there in my heart and mind.

So, that's a long story to say what the Camaro is and why it isn't just a car. But in general, it is a dream realized. It is a promise finally kept. It is a wish granted with the turn of the key and the rumble of the engine. It is a throw back to a different time, when we were all more innocent and it was ok to be a rebel. It is the end of one journey and the beginning of another. Ride on.

CatiaJockey 12-24-2008 08:51 AM

Cyndi, if someone sees the look on your face sitting in the Camaro and still doesn't understand....... they never will. No amount of words, no verbage, nothing can explain the enthusiasm better than that smile.

FenwickHockey65 12-24-2008 09:04 AM

Believe me, the vast majority of Americans really don't care what car they have. I've gotten that response from a lot of people as well, and typically, they drive the most boring, mundane cars on the market. Most of the time, these people also don't care for their cars, and when it breaks, they blame the manufacturer for producing a bad car.

ZombieEatsYou 12-24-2008 09:15 AM

Muscle & Pony cars are uniquely American: John Wayne, Route 66, Pacific Coast Highway, Rockford Files, Starsky and Hutch...

The American Experience is one of a land stretching from "Sea to Shining Sea," and a streak of wanderlust, individuality and impatience runs deep within us.

These "cars" are our modern horses; we long to just get in and go; see what's over the horizon - and get there as fast as possible.

An "Automobile" is simply a collection of mechanical parts that moves under it's own power. A "Car" is our chariot, our cart, our carriage, it is where we put our lives when we want to move to the next adventure.

garagelogic 12-24-2008 09:22 AM

You will also hear "football is just a game", and people who are rabbid football fans will go off. Say "it's just a cell phone" and the tech-heads will scratch their heads. Say "it's just a dog" and pet owners will assure you that it is not. Oh, and let's not forget, "it's just a Mustang".

You see, it is only "just a car", "just a game", "just a cell phone", "just a dog" or "just a Mustang" to anyone who does not share your enthusiasm for that particular thing. There is nothing wrong with that and you should not be offended when someone makes a statement like that. What matters is that you feel that it is not "just a car". You can also take comfort in knowing there are likely thousands of other people who share your opinion who you will never meet. Possibly 1 or 2 on this board.:sm0:

MerF 12-24-2008 09:22 AM

I just had this conversation with my wife last night when we were going to my father's for early Christmas dinner.

I told the kids to watch the southbound traffic for HeatheR's Victory Red 1SS. The kids thought it was fun and my wife got a giggle.

I told her about the ABL woes, and I featured Tag's response to that thread. I then told her how the Camaro was not just a car to "us", it has a soul. It is a nostalgic factor for so many of us (our first Camaro) and it embodies our freedom of expression and style...our lust for fun and excitement...our blood, sweat and tears personified in steel.

I think I got through to her because she smiled and assured me once we are settled into our new home (soon!) we will finally put a deposit on one.

josh1147 12-24-2008 09:26 AM

I've got a story that I'm sure some can relate to......and it sums up why for me, this new Camaro will be a dream come true. (Plus I could care less what anyone else thinks!)

I was 15 and had been working for the past 2 years to save every dime/penny that I could to buy my first car when I turned 16. Unlike many of my friends, I had to buy my own car as my parents couldn't afford to....not that I expected them to.

I searched high and low and eventually came across a 1973 SS Camaro. The price was perfect for my budget, $2300. We went to see it and the guy explained all of the work he'd put into it down to every nut, bolt, body panel, drivetrain, and part on the car. This was so cherry and he'd built it just like I would have but he was having to part with her due to the impending birth of a child.

My dad and I got in and took it for a test drive....wow, what a beast. The engine was incredible and she drove like a dream. But then I screwed up.....

We were sitting at a stop light and a mid-sixties vette pulls up next to us....revs his engine....and we both dropped the hammer at the green. I blew the doors off of that vette but as I turned to look at my Dad with an ear to ear grin, I knew then that I was not getting this car.

Needless to say I pleaded for forgiveness over the next couple days and when I finally got him to agree to letting me have it, we called and the guy had already sold it. I've spent the last 20 years regretting that moment but I'm sure also that I probably wouldn't have survived that car either if I had bought it.

Flash forward to today.....a bit wiser, mature, and more capable driver at 35. I've taken several formal driving schools and now understand how to control a vehicle and that there is a "time/place" for driving like a bat out of hell.

Now I'm sure that you'll catch me performing the occasional burnout, power launch, and heads up with a few muscle cars.....but when I really want to get on it, I'll just head to the track.....and will be looking mighty fine in my new 2010 SS/RS CGM Camaro!!

Angrybird 12 12-24-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynAgain (Post 224841)
I'll be the first to admit my ocd is in full swing on this Camaro and I spend most of my free time browsing this site. I got it.

I'm also very vocal about my enthusiasm and two days ago I got this statement back...

I realize it may not be possible to explain to some people, but I was totally speechless and when I did start talking I fumbled. Help me explain why this Camaro is not just another car...

Just look at the cars those people drive... probably 4 door Honda Accords and Civics and Toyotas Camerys and Corrolas, Hyundias, Kias and probably minivans, just sort of basic transportation. Many people think of a car as just a appliance that does a job getting them from one place to another.

People that love Real Cars, cars that have a personality, that make you feel good whenever you get behind the wheel are something to be cherished. Rarely does a car come along that stirs the soul, The Camaro is one of those cars. Those people will never understand, and I am afraid most of our Government officials feel the way those folks do.

So to those people you have to ignore them, they are the ones that do not understand what it is like to truly enjoy driving for driving's sake. And I pity those people..

StarkyLuv 12-24-2008 09:50 AM

Well it IS just a car. There ARE more important things in life. We all know that.

But when someone really looks forward to something like this car, it's difficult to explain. When you actually want to DRIVE the thing, to feel it's power, to personalize it. It's beyond "just a car". Sometimes a particular car just grabs you and you want it. It's got nothing to do with how cool you'll look in it or making others jealous. It's about your personal connection with it.

See? It is hard to explain. I know I've never personally wanted a car as badly as I want this one and I've never been into pony-cars at all.

Hylton 12-24-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynAgain (Post 224841)

Wow! Where were you when I was single? That attitude you experienced is the norm with most people. My wife thinks a car is just a car but appreciates my passion in Camaros and let's me be me. :thumbsup:

CynAgain 12-24-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaropete (Post 224850)
So, that's a long story to say what the Camaro is and why it isn't just a car. But in general, it is a dream realized. It is a promise finally kept. It is a wish granted with the turn of the key and the rumble of the engine. It is a throw back to a different time, when we were all more innocent and it was ok to be a rebel. It is the end of one journey and the beginning of another. Ride on.

Wow! I read your post and got tears. I had to go away for awhile before I answered. For me it goes way back to my Dad too. He was a Ford guy and really into motorcycles. We were always at the dragstrip with the bikes and that's where it started. But somewhere around 14 or 15 I fell in love with the late 60's Camaros. I remember one sleeper '69 in grey primer rolled up to the line at Milan. My brother and I laughed at first until it ran a 10.6!!! :drool:

Now my dad and my brother are gone. I miss those days. This car is definitely nostalgic for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garagelogic (Post 224872)
You will also hear "football is just a game", and people who are rabbid football fans will go off. Say "it's just a cell phone" and the tech-heads will scratch their heads. Say "it's just a dog" and pet owners will assure you that it is not. Oh, and let's not forget, "it's just a Mustang".

You see, it is only "just a car", "just a game", "just a cell phone", "just a dog" or "just a Mustang" to anyone who does not share your enthusiasm for that particular thing. There is nothing wrong with that and you should not be offended when someone makes a statement like that. What matters is that you feel that it is not "just a car". You can also take comfort in knowing there are likely thousands of other people who share your opinion who you will never meet. Possibly 1 or 2 on this board.:sm0:

This is a great way to explain it. Thank you. I'm not a 'rabbid' football fan but I did win the Toilet bowl in my fantasy football league this year! With that said thou I would really like to see the Lions go down 0 - 16. :bellyroll:

I do appreciate people's differences. I think I was more frustrated that I couldn't explain myself well enough. PS That's a great pic of your car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatiaJockey (Post 224851)
Cyndi, if someone sees the look on your face sitting in the Camaro and still doesn't understand....... they never will. No amount of words, no verbage, nothing can explain the enthusiasm better than that smile.

:sm0: This picture? Thank you! I had sooooo much fun that day. I can't wait for delivery! :thumbup:

Moose 12-24-2008 10:58 AM

My thoughts on the Camaro, and my Camaro in particular;

While I understand and respect some people's thought's that "it's just a car", to me, it is much more than that.

My Camaro is a part of the family. (Not to diminish my true family or imply that my SS is as important to me as they are.) It has allowed me many great experiences, and most importantly, has introduced me to many people, many of whom I know call "friend." ;)

The people I have met, and the many friends I have made, both here and in general, are what make my Camaro MUCH more than "just a car."

To some, a car is just a car, but to me, my Camaro is a good friend. :thumbsup:

StarkyLuv 12-24-2008 11:09 AM

There's a hater in my office who every time I talk about getting this car he shakes his head and says "why are you getting that?" or "you don't need that". After first asking why he gives a damn what another man does with his money, I say to him "if you have to ask why I'm getting it, how sad is your life?"

There will be many people who are simply jealous that you are free enough and/or financially fluent enough to get this beauty of a car. They won't be able to explain WHY you getting this car makes them feel....out of sorts. But it all boils down to hating/jealousy/envy.

They WISH they had the stones to get it. Or can afford it. Or their wife lets them buy it. Or it was big enough to fit kids in, etc. etc..

I'm single. I can easily afford it and I'm going to love driving it (while also looking damned good in it).

So screw the haters.