Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Blue Angel [COTW 5/30/11] (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45165)

super60 04-12-2011 05:20 PM

Looking Great Doc :thumbup: Wish i could be down there with all of you guys and gals . Have a safe trip and post lots of pictures , i'll be keeping tabs up here in Oshawa .

Mike Judge
Super60:thumbsup:

Doc 04-14-2011 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssump29 (Post 3085951)
Great job DOC. I say for the last little bit of paint mod you color match the rear diffuser and where it's that little strip that runs along the top do that in yellow and mannnnnn that would be sweet. Just a thought. lol

That's an idea... but I have to be really careful; a little of that color goes a long way and it would be real easy to overdo it. I'll play with it in photoshop and see what it might look like. Thanks for the suggestion!

Doc 04-14-2011 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super60 (Post 3087732)
Looking Great Doc :thumbup: Wish i could be down there with all of you guys and gals . Have a safe trip and post lots of pictures , i'll be keeping tabs up here in Oshawa .

Mike Judge
Super60:thumbsup:

Thank you Mike and all your co-workers for making these wonderful cars. :) Wish you could be with us too; I would love to meet you but maybe next year. I'm bring both a still and video camera and my laptop so with any luck I can post some good pics each night.

Doc 04-22-2011 03:45 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Got a few pics from C5festII. The first two were taken by Julie Dejac. The first one is me coming off the track after a session of the Pfadt Track Attack. The second is me on the track in the same event.

Attachment 232472

Attachment 232473

Here I'm in line to get my car signed by the GM team. They're standing in front of the white tent.
Attachment 232474

Here is Cheryl Pilcher signing my car (I hope I get these names right).
Attachment 232475

Here is Al Oppenheiser signing my car.
Attachment 232476

Had a blast driving on the track. The car handled beautifully with no understeer; it was neutral to slight oversteer if I wanted it. I was chasing guys with superchargers with a lot more horsepower than mine and of course they would start to pull away on the straight but I would catch up and be all over them in the corners.

I just got the RX oil catch can. Got it installed today.
Attachment 232477

Got some billet aluminum race pedals which I'm going to install probably tomorrow. Looking forward to more track events. :)

CamaroFemme 04-22-2011 04:52 PM

The gold really sets off the blue, Doc (and normally I'm a silver girl, but those 2 colors work so well together.) Nice, nice vehicle.

Doc 04-22-2011 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroFemme (Post 3128590)
The gold really sets off the blue, Doc (and normally I'm a silver girl, but those 2 colors work so well together.) Nice, nice vehicle.

Thank you Femme. :)

Doc 04-24-2011 03:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple shots of the Bassani headers and cats. Very well made and a nice clean design. They surprised me at how much power they produced.

Attachment 233551

Attachment 233552

Doc 04-24-2011 03:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Decided the front bowtie was too "bright" with the chrome so I painted it CGM like the tail light bezels.

Here's a shot of it masked and ready to paint; I'd already scuffed up the chrome with 400 grit sandpaper and sprayed adhesion promotor on it.
Attachment 233553

Here's a shot of it painted.
Attachment 233554

Here's a shot of it on the car.
Attachment 233555

And a "before" shot to see the difference.
Attachment 233556

It's subtle but I think it blends in better and doesn't stick out visually so much. (Seems like it's always freakin overcast and threatening to rain; not at all like it usually is this time of the year :P).

Doc 04-24-2011 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now I'm going to install these but when I grabbed my drill the battery was dead! So the battery is on the charger and in a couple hours I'll put the pedals in.

I'm getting nervous though...I'm almost out of mods to do! What will I do next?? LOL

Attachment 233558

Padre 04-24-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 3135642)
I'm getting nervous though...I'm almost out of mods to do! What will I do next?? LOL

You can't stop. This is like crack. :popcorn:
Padre

speedster 04-24-2011 04:39 PM

It's the attention to details of stuff like this that really sets Blue Angel apart. Subtle and clean.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...4&d=1303676644

SUX2BU 04-27-2011 02:31 AM

Car looks awesome!

I love all your weight savings! I took 700 lbs out of my 98 SS back in the day. Had it down to about 2,800 lbs but that was doing a lot of things I would NEVER do to this car.
My first goal will be to get my car to under 4,000 lbs sans driver with a full tank. Completely stock it weighed in at 4,320 lbs with a half a tank of gas and me in it, so that would put it at about 4,160 lbs with a no driver and a full tank.

Edge.128 04-27-2011 10:04 AM

how do you like the new pedals?

Doc 04-27-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedster (Post 3135842)
It's the attention to details of stuff like this that really sets Blue Angel apart. Subtle and clean.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...4&d=1303676644

Thank you Bruce. Considering the legendary build you're working on, praise from you is praise indeed! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUX2BU (Post 3147905)
Car looks awesome!

I love all your weight savings! I took 700 lbs out of my 98 SS back in the day. Had it down to about 2,800 lbs but that was doing a lot of things I would NEVER do to this car.
My first goal will be to get my car to under 4,000 lbs sans driver with a full tank. Completely stock it weighed in at 4,320 lbs with a half a tank of gas and me in it, so that would put it at about 4,160 lbs with a no driver and a full tank.

When I ordered mine in May of 2009 it was sight-unseen. I hadn't seen one been in one or even seen the color. When it arrived it was MUCH nicer a car than I was expecting. All the things I had been planning to do to it went out the window and I decided to take my time and carefully plan a build. I wanted to customize it but not ruin how nice it was. I think I've managed to accomplish my goal with the exception of the sound; a bit too loud with too much resonance. I'm going to explore the Helmholtz mod to get the resonance under control and then this car will be golden.

Reducing weight is a bit of a challenge but focusing on reducing unsprung rotational weight really makes a difference you can feel. Hopefully some of the info in my thread can help you towards your goal. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge.128 (Post 3148827)
how do you like the new pedals?

Got the gas and brake pedal installed then my drill bit was toast. The steel on the brake and clutch pedal is hard. I have to run out to Lowe's and get a new drill bit. Haven't driven it yet because the clutch pedal is taped and marked and ready to drill. I'm off tomorrow so I'll finish it then. I'm thinking I'll pass on the dead pedal; the stock one is fine.