Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Head Lights ALWAYS on?? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32029)

giod 07-12-2009 12:28 PM

Head Lights ALWAYS on??

So I've noticed my headlights are always on, even during the day.. IS this normal. I have the SS but no RS so it's the standard Halogens not the HID HALO's I have to turn off the automatic light control to get my lights to turn off. Where is the light sensor located, maybe Faulty? Anyone Else?

Hesh 07-12-2009 01:04 PM

Its your day time running lights. The are on all the time.

TheClassicCarKid 07-12-2009 01:06 PM

Pretty sure it's mandated now that new cars have to run lights all the time.
So yeah, it's normal.

BrianGriffin78 07-12-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giod (Post 672371)
So I've noticed my headlights are always on, even during the day.. IS this normal. I have the SS but no RS so it's the standard Halogens not the HID HALO's I have to turn off the automatic light control to get my lights to turn off. Where is the light sensor located, maybe Faulty? Anyone Else?

That is what is called Daytime running lights. Hence they are on during the daytime. It is good to have them, because it does make people more aware of your presence while driving and also the insurance companies give you a discount, lol.

Dave McFly 07-12-2009 01:15 PM

on my car Monty the 2004 Monte Carlo the DRL (daytime running lights) come on when the car is put into gear and shut off when in park. they are usually (each car is different from make to make/model) the high beam lights but on a much lower setting. if you ever park your car in front of a building with glass start your car and put it in gear then back to park then turn your lights on manually then switch to high beams you will see that the DRLs are the highs. on my car do not know if the Camaros do this or not but the headlights turn on automatically when it gets darker does not matter if the switch on the dash is on or off.

bluman 07-12-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave McFly (Post 672468)
on my car Monty the 2004 Monte Carlo the DRL (daytime running lights) come on when the car is put into gear and shut off when in park. they are usually (each car is different from make to make/model) the high beam lights but on a much lower setting. if you ever park your car in front of a building with glass start your car and put it in gear then back to park then turn your lights on manually then switch to high beams you will see that the DRLs are the highs. on my car do not know if the Camaros do this or not but the headlights turn on automatically when it gets darker does not matter if the switch on the dash is on or off.

Any way to bypass this feature, I just hate turning them off all the time after I start vehicle. :mad0260:

Rusky 07-12-2009 03:09 PM

On chevy trucks, the daytime running lights are routed to the e-brake. All you have to do i believe is reroute the wire and you are good to go.

patriotpa 07-12-2009 03:45 PM

I can turn them off on my Silverado by hitting the dome light switch 4x. I get a chime, then they're off.

MikeZ28 07-12-2009 04:29 PM

Some cars (like the late model GTO) have the DRL on a separate fuse or relay, which makes them easy to disable. I have no idea how it's done on the Camaro, but if the manual has a section on fuses and relays you might look there for a relay or fuse marked something like "DRL".

giod 07-12-2009 04:34 PM

I guess I'm only complaining cuz I got no Halos, if I had Halos then I'd want them on.. LOL

two_wheel_mayhem 07-12-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giod (Post 672845)
I guess I'm only compaining cuz I got no Halos, if I had Halos then I'd want them on.. LOL

If you had halos then the fog lamps are the DRL's which kind of sucks too.

EllwynX 07-12-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid (Post 672452)
So yeah, it's normal.

Very few cars have them from what I see in my driving. I don't think it's a requirement.

I hate them and disable them whenever possible.

GRM RPR 07-12-2009 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid (Post 672452)
So yeah, it's normal.

My favorite part about this is when everyone has DRL then it would be like 10 years ago when no one had them. Give the government another 10 years and they will mandate NO DRL so that you can stand out again...LOL:iono:

Sounds like an episode of when good ideas turn stupid!

Jamie Mac 07-12-2009 07:08 PM

Came on our 96 Saturn. Believe they are mandatory