Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Motor mount replacement (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450579)

spadz93 04-30-2016 12:47 AM

Motor mount replacement

Anyone got tips on replacing the mounts? I'm pretty confident mine are shot, engine shakes the car at idle, rotates a decent amount on startup, and I feel the vibration from acceleration throughout my steering and interior at higher speeds (only on acceleration, wheels are all aligned and balanced). Not to mention I've been having a lot more notchy shifts as of recent.

I read that as long as you jack up the car, and then jack up the engine by the oil pan (using a wooden block as to not perforate and destroy the oil pan), it's relatively straight forward. Just wanted to see if anyone else had done it this way.

sixty9fordkiller 05-16-2016 09:34 PM

im getting ready to do the mounts on mine too but im not 100% sure on where to lift the engine from

blake-b 05-16-2016 11:42 PM

Find the instructions for Pfadt's engine mounts they used to offer... pretty straightforward.

spadz93 05-17-2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blake-b (Post 9097222)
Find the instructions for Pfadt's engine mounts they used to offer... pretty straightforward.

Found them. Thanks.

For anyone else in need, here they are http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/2010...tion-tutorial/

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hazy 05-17-2016 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spadz93 (Post 9062611)
I read that as long as you jack up the car, and then jack up the engine by the oil pan (using a wooden block as to not perforate and destroy the oil pan), it's relatively straight forward. Just wanted to see if anyone else had done it this way.

This is exactly how I did mine.

a few tips from my experience:

- pull the front wheels. I was unable to pull mine and it made things a bit tighter than i would've preferred. Got it done, but would've been nicer w/o the wheels on. (long story, but short version is that I had a stripped wheel lock..it's fixed now)

- I have Kooks long tubes - had to pull the driver's side header out of the way. Nothing too hard, just unbolt and move around as you need

- Lots of extensions on your ratchet - some REALLY tight spaces in there and it's much easier if you've got the right length extensions

outside of that, it was a pretty straightforward install. I took my sweet time doing it, and it took me ~4 hours. I'm sure it could've been done quicker, but I had the day off, and wasn't hurrying to do anything for fear of overlooking something.

sixty9fordkiller 05-23-2016 09:25 AM

Thanks for the walkthrough link. Do you guys know if the ZL1 mounts work/fit on SS cars? I drive mine daily and other spirited driving on the open highways, i do not race it at all. Im sold on the ZL1 mounts but am not sure if they're a direct fit upgrade replacement for my factory SS mounts

spadz93 05-27-2016 06:42 PM

Just installed the prothane mounts. Things are rock solid. Little bit of NVH but mainly because they're brand new. My stock mounts were laughably shot, should have gotten pictures

JCunningham 05-30-2016 01:42 AM

:facepalm: just so everyone knows the factory shop manual specifically says not to lift or support the engine from under the oil pan as it can bend the oil pickup tube.
you should remove the intake and use an engine hoist.

spadz93 05-30-2016 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCunningham (Post 9121561)
:facepalm: just so everyone knows the factory shop manual specifically says not to lift or support the engine from under the oil pan as it can bend the oil pickup tube.
you should remove the intake and use an engine hoist.

Oops. Guess I got lucky then, no leaks and my pressure is just fine. I barely lifted the engine enough to get the stock mount out

JCunningham 05-30-2016 12:50 PM

the pickup tube is so close the the pan that the pan can flex enough to push the tube further away from the bottom. cant be much and i doubt it would matter on the street. I guess it could cause a oil starvation problem if you were low on oil and pulling over 1g.

spadz93 05-30-2016 04:14 PM

I used a pretty big block of wood, pretty much covered as much of the bottom of the pan as possible to try and evenly distribute the lift of the jack

olblue75 05-30-2016 10:56 PM

Are the ZL1 mounts different than the SS mounts???

spadz93 05-31-2016 09:24 AM

Part number (7-518) is what I got and a quick search showed that they do.

sixty9fordkiller 06-09-2016 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblue75 (Post 9122906)
Are the ZL1 mounts different than the SS mounts???

Thats what i want to know. I already had the ZL1 mounts delivered on tuesday and getting them installed on my SS on saturday. So unless anyone else chimes in, ill let you know this weekend.