Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Hurst Shifter Fix (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226328)

NH-SS 05-25-2012 08:35 AM

Hurst Shifter Fix

I installed the Hurst shifter, after only a few hundred miles on it the side play was rediculous. I called Hurst and they sent out a "new" design bushing. I recieved it and it was the same as originally that came with the shifter. What I did to fix the problem was design and MFG my own. I made a split bushing out of oilite bronze (SEA841), I Incresed the side surface area ( to increse side load stability ) Turned the O.D for a +.001 slip fit. Bored the I.D to -.0005 under size then took the original locating pin and burnished the bore to the pin. After thousands of miles I still have virtually zero play in the shifter. It's a great product,.. just needs a different bushing material..

MustangKiller 05-25-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NH-SS (Post 5020752)
I installed the Hurst shifter, after only a few hundred miles on it the side play was rediculous. I called Hurst and they sent out a "new" design bushing. I recieved it and it was the same as originally that came with the shifter. What I did to fix the problem was design and MFG my own. I made a split bushing out of oilite bronze (SEA841), I Incresed the side surface area ( to increse side load stability ) Turned the O.D for a +.001 slip fit. Bored the I.D to -.0005 under size then took the original locating pin and burnished the bore to the pin. After thousands of miles I still have virtually zero play in the shifter. It's a great product,.. just needs a different bushing material..

Delrin maybe or is that what the stock one is. Im wait on a new one from them.

blazzin1 05-25-2012 11:42 AM

I think the bushing from Hurst is Teflon or something similar. NH-SS, I wish you sold those bushings you made!!! I'd buy one!!!

NH-SS 05-25-2012 12:34 PM

The bushing from Hurst I believe is PTFE (Teflon)

Whipped416 05-25-2012 07:16 PM

can u make me one?

NH-SS 05-26-2012 04:44 AM

If there's enough demand for a replacement bushing out there I guess I could set up to make some more. The only issue I see is not being able to take the MFG production tolerence into account. I made my custom bushing to match my shifters pin O.D. & shifter I.D. Every shifter will have a + or - tolerance difference. But,..I willing to help out. The Hurst shifter is very nice,.. and with a replacement bushing it's pretty much perfect. So,.. how many of you would like these ??

toml_pa 05-26-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NH-SS (Post 5025229)
If there's enough demand for a replacement bushing out there I guess I could set up to make some more. The only issue I see is not being able to take the MFG production tolerence into account. I made my custom bushing to match my shifters pin O.D. & shifter I.D. Every shifter will have a + or - tolerance difference. But,..I willing to help out. The Hurst shifter is very nice,.. and with a replacement bushing it's pretty much perfect. So,.. how many of you would like these ??

I will definitely take 2 bushings. You could make mine the same dimensions as yours. I have no problem hand fitting them if need be. I used the factory bushing to make one. The ID was good, but had to take a little off OD to fit Hurst shifter. Figuring out how to hold it in the lathe was the hard part. Shifter now has about 1/8" play at handle, but I would rather have something more durable so I never have to worry with it again. Please PM me if you are willing to make some.

Smirnoff 05-26-2012 07:51 AM

I'll take one.....

chetkan 05-26-2012 09:31 AM

I haven't installed my kit yet. I'd rather do it once and do it right so I'll take one!

NH-SS 05-26-2012 02:04 PM

Well OK,..I will make some of these shifter bushings next week. I will let you know when there ready.

HtownSS 05-26-2012 02:45 PM

I will take two, I have two buddy's that I run with, and I know they will take at least one each. Making that four maybe more..

JackRabitSlims 05-26-2012 03:35 PM

I need to fix mine. I would take one. How did you fix it? did you have to take the whole shifter out or can you just pull out the bushings and put the new bushings in?

NH-SS 05-26-2012 04:00 PM

just replace the Hurst bushing with this new replacement. Sooo,.. how many am I making ??

JM10 05-26-2012 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smirnoff (Post 5025465)
I'll take one.....

Me too :thumbsup:

JM