Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   For the freaks that love MANUAL (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93605)

Arthur 818 07-07-2010 02:46 AM

For the freaks that love MANUAL

Im 18 years old and i wish i had manual to drive...Since i was a kid my dad and grandparents all drove manual...So i was always fascinated by it...when i turned 12 my pops switched the car and got a brand new AUTOMATIC transmission mercedes E-Class...after that i had no chance of learning it...So now im 18 and driving an A6 CAMARO...When i told him i wanted to get manual he laughed at me...I cant blame them...they dont really care anymore..they rather have an luxury and a smooth car rather then a beast muscle car like the CAMARO....Today i drove my friends manual bmw m3 and shifting gears is as fun as it looks....i got the hang of it after stalling it a few times lol..basically it was an amazing experience...so my question would be would it be easy to master manual...because in a few years my next car is going to be manual for sure...maybe a 6th gen SS would be nice haha :D...so whats your opinion...you think it would be an upgrade from auto to manual lol ?? is it worth it (especially at that age)...whats your opinion...

MTMTE 07-07-2010 02:53 AM

For me it was multiple items, my drive to work, traffic conditions, how much would I actually be racing, could I master the paddel shifter.

I stop at approx. eight stop signs on the way to work, sit in traffic regularly for 20 min or more, have not raced anyone (seriously) and am getting really good with the paddel shifter, once I think I'm good enough Ill go against some manuals to see if I can hang.

I can drive a stick, very easily, but found that the automatic was the way to go. Say what you want about me, but most of the Camaros were made with the automatic so most of us are in the same boat.

Choose for yourself, what someone says about you, shouldn't matter, you have to drive the car. Get something you are gonna have fun with and be comfortable in.

Arthur 818 07-07-2010 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTMTE (Post 2066870)
For me it was multiple items, my drive to work, traffic conditions, how much would I actually be racing, could I master the paddel shifter.

I stop at approx. eight stop signs on the way to work, sit in traffic regularly for 20 min or more, have not raced anyone (seriously) and am getting really good with the paddel shifter, once I think I'm good enough Ill go against some manuals to see if I can hang.

I can drive a stick, very easily, but found that the automatic was the way to go. Say what you want about me, but most of the Camaros were made with the automatic so most of us are in the same boat.

Choose for yourself, what someone says about you, shouldn't matter, you have to drive the car. Get something you are gonna have fun with and be comfortable in.

Same here bro haha...the traffic is CA is too much for manual....but i think if you have interest in the beginning you will love it no matter what...id love to have any manual car just to mess around with it untill i got it mastered...driving is easy anyone can do it...especially paddle shifters....it comes close but doesn't feel anything like driving stick....

TaylorRyanSS 07-07-2010 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur 818 (Post 2066872)
Same here bro haha...the traffic is CA is too much for manual....but i think if you have interest in the beginning you will love it no matter what...id love to have any manual car just to mess around with it untill i got it mastered...driving is easy anyone can do it...especially paddle shifters....it comes close but doesn't feel anything like driving stick....

I live in CA as well and traffic did not stop me from getting a manual. My first car was a 2005 mustang automatic. The camaro is my 2nd car and I wanted a stick. So ordered one that way I would have to learn haha. In a car like this a manual is a must imo.

Arthur 818 07-07-2010 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 (Post 2066889)
I live in CA as well and traffic did not stop me from getting a manual. My first car was a 2005 mustang automatic. The camaro is my 2nd car and I wanted a stick. So ordered one that way I would have to learn haha. In a car like this a manual is a must imo.

:thumbsup: Honestly how long did it take you to master it haha ?

TaylorRyanSS 07-07-2010 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur 818 (Post 2066891)
:thumbsup: Honestly how long did it take you to master it haha ?

I started practicing in the beginning of the year on my cousins 2000 ford ranger. I ordered on february 13 and it was delivered on march 24. I practiced like a few times a week just in the neighborhood while I waited for my car to be built. When the car came in I had my dad drive it home and practiced that night and the next day. The day after I had it down and I drove it to school . It was a lot easier than the truck I practiced on.

Arthur 818 07-07-2010 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 (Post 2066902)
I started practicing in the beginning of the year on my cousins 2000 ford ranger. I ordered on february 13 and it was delivered on march 24. I practiced like a few times a week just in the neighborhood while I waited for my car to be built. When the car came in I had my dad drive it home and practiced that night and the next day. The day after I had it down and I drove it to school . It was a lot easier than the truck I practiced on.

Sounds good man....So if a get a car like a manual Vette in few years you think I would have a chance...how old are you anyway ?

Dmundz 07-07-2010 03:50 AM

I started driving stick in my first car which was a 87 daytona. Honestly I think the biggest problem some people have in learning is the basic concept of how a clutch works. If you understand the basics learning will come very easy. You may still have the odd stall off a stop but really nothing you won't figure out as you go.

TaylorRyanSS 07-07-2010 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur 818 (Post 2066906)
Sounds good man....So if a get a car like a manual Vette in few years you think I would have a chance...how old are you anyway ?

Yeah its pretty easy to get the hang of and a lot of fun. I will be 21 in 2 weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmundz (Post 2066912)
I started driving stick in my first car which was a 87 daytona. Honestly I think the biggest problem some people have in learning is the basic concept of how a clutch works. If you understand the basics learning will come very easy. You may still have the odd stall off a stop but really nothing you won't figure out as you go.

I occasionally stall in fast food drive thrus haha

Revo1 07-07-2010 04:26 AM

I...can't...say...for...sure...right...now........ ....too..many...dots...to...think...clearly...

:D

But really- I wouldn't trade your current car, but if you're interested in manual then you know what to do when gen 6 rolls around. ;)

Arthur 818 07-07-2010 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revo1 (Post 2066930)
I...can't...say...for...sure...right...now........ ....too..many...dots...to...think...clearly...

:D

But really- I wouldn't trade your current car, but if you're interested in manual then you know what to do when gen 6 rolls around. ;)

LOL foshoo

2010 SSRS 07-07-2010 12:29 PM

all my Camaro's have been automatics, and I love my L99, the tapshift is awesome.

PennState 07-07-2010 01:55 PM

go with manual, its awesome and in the camaros the clutch is like a feather, pops out real easily, very easy to drive...you can learn it in no time, I know it took me like 20 mins to learn it

mjf6866 07-07-2010 02:15 PM

like other have said it all depends on what you do with your car. my challenger is my weekend fun car and i wouldnt have gotten it if it didnt come with a manual. they are a blast when you can let the car stretch its legs, but not so fun in traffic. my 73 road runner is an auto and a fun cruiser because of it. my civic hatch daily driver is a stick too, which is about the only thing that makes that car "fun" to drive on a daily basis! ;)that there should be proof enough on how fun manuals are!