Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Anyone racing their convertible? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306568)

CamaroCO 07-09-2013 08:09 AM

Anyone racing their convertible?

I bought this car to drag race and cruise. I am mainly drag racing right now and only running a 15.0 on the 1/4 mile. I just installed a CAI and haven't been out yet, but I hope to do a 14.0 Anyway, if I go faster than a 13.49 I need a rollbar and if I do any track racing I need a roll bar. Do any of you race? Do you have a roll bar? I need the back seat for my teenage boys. The only roll bar I have seen gets rid of the back seat. Track racing may be out. I am curious to see what any of you have done.
Michelle
2012 Red Convertible SS - V8
CAI from Cool Air Inductions

snaphappy 07-09-2013 02:21 PM

I think about taking it out to the track all the time! But my insurance doesn't cover me out there. So I haven't built up the courage yet. Someday I'm just going to go for it!

Falundir 07-09-2013 03:01 PM

You will need a bit of mods to hit 13.5 with a CO DA so you won't have to worry about the roll bar just yet. However when it comes time you can ping RPM Roll Bars and they can make one with a removable cross bar to allow restricted usage of the back seat.

If you get into AutoX then you will not need a roll bar.

SPOOKYGUNNER 07-09-2013 06:26 PM

JUST RAN A13.006 AT 108.12 AT BANDIMERE SPEEDWAY HERE IN DENVER. IT'S A MILE HIGH AND ALTITUDE CORRECTED IT IS A 12.14 AT 115.72 WITH JUST A ROTO-FAB CAI KIT. HOPE TO BE QUICKER AFTER I INSTALL A LOWER PULLEY KIT/BELT. WOULD BE HAPPY TO HAVE A HIGH 12 SECOND CAR AT ALTITUDE AND MAYBE EVEN A HIGH 11 SECOND CAR AT SEA LEVEL WITHOUT SPENDING THE FAMILY FORTUNE. ALSO WILL BE ADDING DRAG SLICKS. WILL POST NEW TIME AS I GET THE MODS DONE.

Chris82xx 07-09-2013 09:09 PM

Most tracks enforce the NHRA rules. To get past that you would have to find a sponsored track rental. You pay to play, but there are no restrictions. I plan on hitting the track and practicing my 1/8 mile before I go to the 1/4 mile. I have the CDC sports bar which isn't a roll bar, but the nearby track either doesn't know better or are just looking the other way. When and IF, a big IF, I get to a 10.49, that's when I would need more heavy duty stuff.

comm17 07-09-2013 09:55 PM

I've done a little racing in my convertible.....

Mostly do auto cross but recently have taken her down the drag strip. I think my best was 13.81 @104.5 It was 100 degrees so I cant wait to try again when its a little cooler.

I recently got the RPM roll bar that Falundir is talking about. It has a removable cross bar and harness bar. I have done a couple road courses which are a blast.

CamaroCO 07-09-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPOOKYGUNNER (Post 6768597)
JUST RAN A13.006 AT 108.12 AT BANDIMERE SPEEDWAY HERE IN DENVER. IT'S A MILE HIGH AND ALTITUDE CORRECTED IT IS A 12.14 AT 115.72 WITH JUST A ROTO-FAB CAI KIT. HOPE TO BE QUICKER AFTER I INSTALL A LOWER PULLEY KIT/BELT. WOULD BE HAPPY TO HAVE A HIGH 12 SECOND CAR AT ALTITUDE AND MAYBE EVEN A HIGH 11 SECOND CAR AT SEA LEVEL WITHOUT SPENDING THE FAMILY FORTUNE. ALSO WILL BE ADDING DRAG SLICKS. WILL POST NEW TIME AS I GET THE MODS DONE.

Hey, this is where I go every Wed night and 1x a month on Friday. Are you going to be up there tomorrow night? How did you know the corrected times? I drive a red 2012 SS with 2 racing stripes up the hood. What color is your car?
Michelle

Genob4c 07-10-2013 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroCO (Post 6769584)
Hey, this is where I go every Wed night and 1x a month on Friday. Are you going to be up there tomorrow night? How did you know the corrected times? I drive a red 2012 SS with 2 racing stripes up the hood. What color is your car?
Michelle

Love is in the air....... Camaro love, too.

SUX2BU 07-12-2013 01:14 PM

I race mine a few times a year. My local track is pretty relaxed on the roll bar rule for convertibles. I have a "style bar" but that will be gone if I ever do go with a roll bar.

My times aren't that fast since I can't 60' worth a flip with this stock rear and I only have bolt ons. But I have a complete DSS 9" set up in the garage waiting to go in. Only reason it isn't in yet is because I'm swapping the gears to 4.57s. That should get this fat girl out of the hole.

Here is a video of my car running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcPS0GGWRYI

pannhead51 07-12-2013 02:40 PM

^^^^ awesome :thumbup:

Allanski 07-12-2013 03:11 PM

Hopefully after a very long wait ... :bow: coming to camaro fest drag strip ...:thumbup:
The fastest 5th Gen Camaro Convertible!

427 ci 88mm turbocharged vert with a 4L80 trans and Gforce 373 rear gears

Chris82xx 07-15-2013 01:26 PM

The first time I ran the car ever, over the weekend, I achieved a 12.9. The is much more room for improvement. Finding the right rpm launch, better tires, etc.

Jer4251 07-16-2013 07:24 PM

im wanting to do some road course and drag with my Z as well. And I know down here at roebling road they are strict on the roll cage deal. Ive looking into the rpm rar but I don't want to hack up the carpet of rear panels to mount the thing. $65k car. Unless I can find some replacement panels

does anyone have install instructions on one of their bars? 1200 is kinda steep too for a plain steel bar. no?

Smkymts 07-27-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroCO (Post 6766376)
I bought this car to drag race and cruise. I am mainly drag racing right now and only running a 15.0 on the 1/4 mile. I just installed a CAI and haven't been out yet, but I hope to do a 14.0 Anyway, if I go faster than a 13.49 I need a rollbar and if I do any track racing I need a roll bar. Do any of you race? Do you have a roll bar? I need the back seat for my teenage boys. The only roll bar I have seen gets rid of the back seat. Track racing may be out. I am curious to see what any of you have done.
Michelle
2012 Red Convertible SS - V8
CAI from Cool Air Inductions

I race mine ten or more times a year. I won the M6 Street tire class (16 cars)at Cfest against mostly Zl1s coupes with only SS. Of coarse it's not stock. I posted a best 12.29 at Lucas Cfest last year. I have no roll cage. My local NHRA track doesn't make me use a roll cage but top must be up.

This has only become an issue since 2013 rule change. The speed cut off use to be 10.0 and 135mph. But unless its a NHRA sanctioned even, most tracks don't enforce. Camaro5 should have discussed this with Lucas oil raceway before deciding to return Cfest there again this year. Now convertible owners are basically black lists from racing without those ugly roll cages and cutting holes in rear panels for the bars.

I will break 12.0 this year. But new postings may keep convertibles out of racing at Cfest this year but I have been hounding Administrators and moderators for a clear answer to:

Can convertible drag race this year at Cfest without rollcage. Our car is as safe as the coupes. I think a sub 10.0 coupe flipping onto their roof at their speed is more dangerous than a 12.0 convertible doing the same. Both will be hurt. That's why u sign a waver.