Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   3" full exhaust with headers on L99 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107645)

1Camaro2SS 09-25-2010 03:02 PM

3" full exhaust with headers on L99

I'm planning to upgrade my exhaust to 3" pipes from 2.5". Any recommendations on what brand to buy and will the L99 have any issues with 3"? I want a full performace exhaust with long tube headers. Too many choices out there. I also plan to install a CAI and 3.73 gear then do a full performace dyno tune when all is completed.

Supercharged SS 09-25-2010 03:49 PM

I started with 1 3/4 Kooks and the full 3" Kooks exhaust to the tips. And let me tell you it drone like a mf'er! So bad we added two 12" resonators and it only cut about 50% of the drone out. This wk I'm going to 2" headers so I'm hoping that the frequency will change and help out with the drone. Knowing now what I didn't over a year a go. I would get a set of 1 7/8 headers and spend the money on a Corsa kit. I hear them all the time comming out of Jannety's shop and there are never any complaints. Plus Ted always has that stuff in stock and can hook you up with a free tune. But spend the money on a gd exhaust. And I was told that the 3" will produce more drone than the 2.5 so maybe stay 2.5". There are 750 rwhp that run 2.5" exhaust so you'll be fine. Gd luck, lets us know how you make out!

SGOS252382 09-25-2010 04:09 PM

You will most likely need a tune to deal with the AFM noises associated with a more aggressive sounding exhaust on an L99. But that's a good thing. A tune is the best mod for an L99 A6.

I run Kooks 1 7/8 Headers with a Magnaflow Street exhaust. I love the setup. It sounds nice and aggressive, but not too loud. Also, no drone issues.

But you'll have to decide how loud you want your car. Headers paired with an aggressive catback exhaust = very loud.

2010 SSRS 09-25-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 2370253)
I started with 1 3/4 Kooks and the full 3" Kooks exhaust to the tips. And let me tell you it drone like a mf'er! So bad we added two 12" resonators and it only cut about 50% of the drone out. This wk I'm going to 2" headers so I'm hoping that the frequency will change and help out with the drone. Knowing now what I didn't over a year a go. I would get a set of 1 7/8 headers and spend the money on a Corsa kit. I hear them all the time comming out of Jannety's shop and there are never any complaints. Plus Ted always has that stuff in stock and can hook you up with a free tune. But spend the money on a gd exhaust. And I was told that the 3" will produce more drone than the 2.5 so maybe stay 2.5". There are 750 rwhp that run 2.5" exhaust so you'll be fine. Gd luck, lets us know how you make out!

:thumbup:, I have the Corsa LS3 with 1 7/8 headers that Jannetty racing installed on my L99 and it sounds awesome.

1Camaro2SS 09-26-2010 08:55 AM

I currently have a Borla sport catback which is 2.5" as I mentioned. I may add headers and high flow cats to this setup. Is there any significant gain by going to a 3" seup all together?

Supercharges SS -thanks for sharing your experience.

Supercharged SS 09-26-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Camaro2SS (Post 2372281)
I currently have a Borla sport catback which is 2.5" as I mentioned. I may add headers and high flow cats to this setup. Is there any significant gain by going to a 3" seup all together?

Supercharges SS -thanks for sharing your experience.

I don't think so. Don't waste your money. Jannetty actually told me to go down to the 2.5" to help with the drone and he wouldn't suggest that at the cost of losing power. Plus they have 700+ rwhp cars running 2.5" stock cat backs.