Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Camaro tech and performance saved our skin... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262753)

Scalded Dog 11-26-2012 01:41 PM

Camaro tech and performance saved our skin...

Travelling on a four lane mountain highway on Saturday, went to pass a vehicle doing about 20 MPH under the speed limit. As we passed, the buffoon simply changed lanes, in a turn. We had exactly one option, and that was to stand on the brakes, steer through things, lay on the horn. The horn had zero effect on the clueless mouth breather, as he pushed (no contact, but less than an inch to spare) us right off of the road. The anti-lock brakes, the stability control, and the cornering capabilities of the Camaro all came into maximum play. We came to a stop inches from a rock faced wall, seat cushions all bunched up where our large intenstines usually sit untrespassed...................................... ...............................If not for all of the technology working flawlessly, my wife, my daughter, and I would not be continuing to breathe today............................................. ............................ Thank- you, GM, for making a bad-ass car, and FU to the clueless dimwit still piddling on down the road.

RubyCamaro 11-26-2012 01:45 PM

Sorry you had to go through that but really glad your great Camaro saved the day, plus give yourself some credit for your good reactions. Glad everyone is okay & you are able to tell us about it. Safe travels.

Scalded Dog 11-26-2012 01:56 PM

Thanks, Ruby... I pride myself on driving skills and awareness, but this time, I've got to give 95% of the credit to the car. I inadvertently put my family into a very bad situation; the car bailed us out!

Mdipinto 11-26-2012 02:03 PM

One of the reasons I have a SS is because of the Brakes. They saved me so many times, I'm a horrible driver, and if I'm in a jam, I like to give some space, and some people take advantage, just coming back from NJ this weekend, I was doing 40 with enough space, and 2 cars pulled from the other lane out of the blue, not even used turn signals. I had to brake somewhat hard, I got about 2 or 3 inches from the car in front of me.
I felt bad for the car behind me that had to maneuver to the emergency area so he could properly stop, as he was riding tight to me.

Three of Swords 11-26-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdipinto (Post 5847835)
...I'm a horrible driver, and if I'm in a jam, I like to give some space, and some people take advantage...

Sounds like even if you're not a great driver you know your limitations and plan accordingly. That's better than 80% of the drivers out there!

amz 11-26-2012 03:02 PM

Stabilitrak ,airbags,ABS are reasons number 1,2 and 3 that I traded my perfect 3rd Gen for a new 5thGen.

GEEKFREEKSCOTTY 11-26-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three of Swords (Post 5847984)
Sounds like even if you're not a great driver you know your limitations and plan accordingly. That's better than 80% of the drivers out there!

:word:

THIS:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mdipinto
Originally Posted by Mdipinto
...I'm a horrible driver, and if I'm in a jam, I like to give some space.

Makes you a GREAT driver!

Scalded Dog 11-26-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comrando (Post 5848065)
Was he driving a Prius?

Ha! Nope, not a Priuspism... the pushin' comin' to shovin' would have left scales tipped in my favor, or at least a little more equal, in spite of dents and scrapes and those pesky Pruis- smears along the side. No, this guy was driving the proverbial ratty old pick-up truck, three tons to start with, with another ton of rakes, water jugs, shovels, and gunny sacks dangling and flapping in the VERY light breeze he was creating at 35 MPH.

Sir Nuke 11-26-2012 05:30 PM

Scalded Dog....as you said, the car did its job.....but there was one thing that had little or no affect.....the scrawny horn. There is a mod for that.....I did it.....and NO ONE will ever again forget that they got in your path when they shouldn't have....

THE HORN MOD

awfarley 11-26-2012 05:34 PM

^ That horn is amazing, it's pretty far on my list but one day I'll do it just for kicks.

Glad to hear you and your family are safe. I'd say almost every auto accident is caused by human error (stupidity) and I'm glad that technology has advanced far enough to compensate for some of it. People are inconsiderate while driving, I never really understand it.

Someone weaves through traffic like a bat outta hell just to get three car lengths ahead of you in a construction zone interstate parking lot... where's the logic? Sorry, now I'm ranting lol