Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Wheels/Tires (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Nail in tire (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259864)

josephs8 11-08-2012 02:43 PM

Nail in tire

So I went to get into my car the other day, and noticed the pressure was low, I filled it up and just thought that it was because it was really cold out. Well the next day I go out and the tire pressure is at 12! So I inspected the tire, and find that there is a 2 inch nail directly in the tread of the tire. I was trying to think where I could have gotten a nail in my tire, and then I moved my car. And found several nails on the ground. Well then it dawned on me my landlord had been working on building a storage building a few spots down from my spot, and sure enough one of the nails looked like it came out of some drywall that they used for the inside of the building. :mad0260::mad0260:

I am going to talk to the manager tomorrow about, but what would be my options if they didnt pay for it? I dont think insurance will cover this.

SlingShot 11-08-2012 03:00 PM

Well if you don't have the tire and wheel, it's gonna cost you a new tire. Don't hold your breath on them paying for it.

Taser Deployed 11-08-2012 04:44 PM

Getting that tire and wheel insurance is seeming golden now because I'm hearing about too many ZL1's with nails in their tires. This is like the 4th or 5th story on here.

Bobaloo 11-08-2012 04:58 PM

I picked up a "self taping screw" in my rear tire and took the wheel/tire to Big O tire store. They put a plug in the hole and a patch inside the tire. When asked how much the manager said first time free. The tech even sprayed and wiped the wheel off. Just like new! That was almost 8K miles ago and no problems. I'll remember this place when I look for new tires.

kevin1106 11-08-2012 05:07 PM

Case of bad luck... Either plug it or get a new tire. Personally I'd get a new tire. I don't want to trust a plug going 100mph +

SPOOKYGUNNER 11-08-2012 05:08 PM

DISCOUNT TIRE WILL DO IT FOR FREE TOO. O JUST BOUGHT TIRE/WHEEL COVERAGE FROM BECKY AT RODGERS CHEVY. 5 YRS 75000 MILES. COST WAS $445 AND WELL WORTH IT

Nightspore68 11-08-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taser Deployed (Post 5788144)
Getting that tire and wheel insurance is seeming golden now because I'm hearing about too many ZL1's with nails in their tires. This is like the 4th or 5th story on here.

Yeah, welcome to club.

josephs8 11-08-2012 05:24 PM

Yeah, I might get it repaired for the time being since it is going into storage, but I dont think I would ever feel safe driving over 100mph with a plug in the tire.

I dont think my dealer ever offered tire/wheel insurance :/

RiCorvette 11-08-2012 05:54 PM

So... not to sound like a total Dufus, but is there something about the Eagle 1
that prohibits a plug and patch in all cases or just the usual bad case of 'too close to the sidewall' ?

12 ZL1 #1725 11-08-2012 05:54 PM

My dealer threw it in for free! I'm glad now hearing all these nail stories!!!!!

OldScoolCamaro 11-08-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 5787842)
Well if you don't have the tire and wheel, it's gonna cost you a new tire. Don't hold your breath on them paying for it.

....true that...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taser Deployed (Post 5788144)

...for the small amount of upfront expense offered by most dealers to get chip, wheel, tire protection, it's worth purchasing the policy because nothing on the ZL1 is inexpensive to replace or repair. Until one gets that uh-oh....then has to take it on at full freight.

2012ZL1 11-08-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricamaro (Post 5788325)
that prohibits a plug and patch in all cases or just the usual bad case of 'too close to the sidewall' ?

properly professionally installed inside patch plug on a nail or a screw hole in tread is all good.
Sidewall,,I would not trust for performance usage.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 11-09-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12 ZL1 #1725 (Post 5788328)
My dealer threw it in for free! I'm glad now hearing all these nail stories!!!!!

That's awesome to hear of your dealership! :thumbup:

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

pumpkinrancho 11-09-2012 03:12 PM

flats

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricamaro (Post 5788325)

Not sure about now, however back in the day I used to sell Firestone and Bridgestone and whenever a high speed rated tire was damaged and repaired we had to note on the ticket that the high speed rating was compramised and to not exceed normal highway speeds. Only makes sence when you figure out how a radial tire is made almost impossible to punch a hole in one without breaking a belt. I bought the policy when I bought mine. It was like 5.99 a month thats only $359, thats less than one tire.... :clap:

DrkPhx 11-09-2012 03:23 PM

Welcome to the club. Any tire manufacturer would tell you do not patch a high performance speed rated tire because the tire is compromised. With that said, people do it on a regular basis for street use with no side effects at all. The question is are you willing to risk a possible blowout at high speeds if you're at the track.

OldScoolCamaro 11-09-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrkPhx (Post 5791723)
Welcome to the club. Any tire manufacturer would tell you do not patch a high performance speed rated tire because the tire is compromised. With that said, people do it on a regular basis for street use with no side effects at all. The question is are you willing to risk a possible blowout at high speeds if you're at the track.

...that's an excellent point.....risk....at high speed....if one is lucky and basks in sunshine on a cloudy day, that's fine.....for me, I know not to chance an obvious risk as such. I know my number would run out at performance speed. Not worth the risk....good post...:thumbsup:

Pappa Joe 11-10-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 (Post 5788815)
properly professionally installed inside patch plug on a nail or a screw hole in tread is all good.
Sidewall,,I would not trust for performance usage.

I have been quite Lucky only had 1 flat in 30 years of driving it was in my Vette...lucky I had a full spare They were Goodyear NCTs if i remember correctly on Centerline wheels :)

Normagene 11-12-2012 11:48 AM

At Quirk dealership getting my drivers front tire replaced. Will have them replace all the lug nuts w/my new gorilla black locking ones. Also getting an oil change and putting in my new Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug. No other issues. Checking out the ZL1 inventory here in the showroom. Three ZL1's: a 2012 Victory Red, 2013 IOM, both automatics, and a 2013 Black vert 6 speed manual. It has the carbon fiber hood insert, but unlike mine it's not the weave pattern. Haven't seen this hood insert before, only the aluminum painted and the CFWHI. Must be something new. I'll get a picture of it and post.

SlingShot 11-12-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Normagene (Post 5800326)
At Quirk dealership getting my drivers front tire replaced. Will have them replace all the lug nuts w/my new gorilla black locking ones. Also getting an oil change and putting in my new Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug. No other issues. Checking out the ZL1 inventory here in the showroom. Three ZL1's: a 2012 Victory Red, 2013 IOM, both automatics, and a 2013 Black vert 6 speed manual. It has the carbon fiber hood insert, but unlike mine it's not the weave pattern. Haven't seen this hood insert before, only the aluminum painted and the CFWHI. Must be something new. I'll get a picture of it and post.

All the inserts are CF, either painted or cleared and there are no aluminum inserts.

Normagene 11-12-2012 12:59 PM

My mistake, I meant aluminum hood, with painted carbon fiber hood. The 2013 Black vert has a carbon fiber hood insert, not painted and not the weave pattern. Got a picture of the hood and the window sticker. Will post when I get home. Thanks. Very sharp looking!

Normagene 11-12-2012 01:07 PM

Another mistake I made, said the 2013 vert was black, sorry had my sunglasses on, it's Blue Ray Metallic, and it's STUNNING! What a beauty! I'll post a picture.

trewyn15 11-12-2012 01:09 PM

Did you get it fixed?

As long as it's in the tread you're usually fine, anything within about an inch and a half of the sidewall or on the sidewall will be an issue though.

I used to work in tires, just make sure you take it to a reputable shop so you don't have to worry about the patch shooting out if you start beating on the car lol

strych9 11-12-2012 01:13 PM

Just throw some "Fix-a-Flat" in there and call it a day. That's what GM supplies instead of a spare, riiiiigggghhhhhtt???

ZL1LEGEND 11-12-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strych9 (Post 5800650)
Just throw some "Fix-a-Flat" in there and call it a day. That's what GM supplies instead of a spare, riiiiigggghhhhhtt???

Haha so true. I have had a nail in my rear tire (dead center and in tread so I had it patched. I also had a sidewall blowout on my front right tire. Low speeds luckily but I was pretty pissed it happened from a small rock in the road. Ended up with a $450 bill for that one. I never take the tire protection either. Damn!

NoynuR 11-12-2012 06:27 PM

I had a screw in mine :(

Normagene 11-12-2012 06:44 PM

10 Attachment(s)
What a Day!?.... Here goes, when they went to replace the tire, believe it or not, the rim slipped and SCRATCHED/SCRAPED along the edge. So now they have a new rim on order, I'm driving with the old tire and rim, they patched/plugged the tire and I'll have to go back when it comes in. At least it will be mounted/balanced and ready to install next time I go, shouldn't be more than a week. The poor kid who was mounting the tire felt so bad, it's costing them over a grand for the rim. $414.39 for the tire installed and the rim cost $1,038.37 plus tax and another $50 core exchange. The free camaro car cover ($365) they are doing an even swap for the outdoor ZL1 car cover ($405). So I can't complain. I'll post a picture tomorrow, too dark now, but it's pretty minor damage, I would still demand a replacement, but they gave me the bad news and told me "it's on order". That's pretty honest of them, what if I hadn't even noticed and drove off?

Anyway, here's the inventory: 2012 Victory Red/auto, 2013 IOM auto w/carbon fiber weave hood insert, and a 2013 Blue Ray Metallic M6 w/carbon fiber hood (not the weave pattern). Check out the pictures.

Attachment 442626

Attachment 442627

Attachment 442628

Attachment 442629

PNYSLAR 11-12-2012 07:46 PM

I just got my rear repaired and it had a 5 inch 12 penny nail bent half way over.

Normagene 11-12-2012 08:26 PM

Don't know why I put the Blue Ray Metallic as a M6, it's an automatic. All three ZL1's at Quirk are all automatics. The 2012 you should easily get for 3 or 4 thousand below MSRP. The 13's at dealer cost. If you're looking, you can PM and ill get you my salesman's name/number. He'll get you the best deal possible. That blue vert is stunning with all the bells and whistles. Nav, remote start, and that carbon hood insert. The metallic paint job is awesome.

Brownster 11-12-2012 08:36 PM

Is the CFI standard equipment on this car?

Brownster 11-12-2012 08:51 PM

Sorry,was confused with ECF hood insert.

Normagene 11-14-2012 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the damage to the rim caused by the tech installing the new tire. Looks bad, but even worse if they hadn't taken a sharpie to it. At least blacking the scrap makes it less visible. Still sticks out like a sore thumb. Be glad when the new rim and tire are installed. Waiting patiently.

Attachment 443004

Normagene 01-29-2013 12:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The end of January, Black Rim was ordered on November 12th, so it took two and a half months to get my new rim. Just got an e-mail yesterday letting me know my rim has arrived. Going tomorrow to get the new tire and rim installed. Long wait, but what can you do. The car has been in the garage for at least two weeks now. Last time out we were making donuts. Temps in the 50's tomorrow with snow still on the ground today. Can't wait to get behind the wheel!

Attachment 467516

Attachment 467517
That's the damage. Doesn't look like much, but I'm glad they are replacing it. I'll checkout the showroom and post an update on any new ZL1's Also looking forward to checking out the ZR1's, they had two last time I was there.

SPOOKYGUNNER 01-29-2013 01:43 PM

SPEED. RATING NO LONGER APPLES AFTER IT IS PUNCTURED. FREE REPAIR OR NOT GET A NEW TIRE! !
WHAT'S YOUR LIFE WORTH. ..AT 100 MPH BLOW OUT! !

2ss-booya 01-29-2013 01:56 PM

Got a nail in my tire the day after I picked up the car :(

Asanti 01-29-2013 10:00 PM

Amazing stories. Last week, with 225 total miles on the car, I had a screw in my left rear tire, took it to the dealer and they immediately said I needed a new tire since the screw was close to the sidewall. In my opinion it wasn't close. I had them pull the screw and found that it was so short that it just dimpled the tire and didn't puncture it so I was good to go. An interesting aside is that my H2 has a nail in the sidewall so that tire is now a spare. I don't know what I will do if I get a flat. BTW, I took the tire & wheel insurance from my dealer.

Normagene 01-30-2013 04:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New Rim and Tire installed today! Took awhile for the rim to come in, but with the winter weather I haven't had many chances to drive. Quirk has another ZL1 on the floor that just came in, a black on black manual, 2013. Here's the sticker, and I'm sure it can be had at invoice or very close to invoice price.

Attachment 467841

Jer4251 01-30-2013 05:58 PM

sams club does free tire repair as long as your a member.