Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   The dilemma FI v6 or V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281822)

Limegeenmachine 03-08-2013 10:55 PM

The dilemma FI v6 or V8

So first I'm new to camaro5 so hello to all, now my question is whether or not to trade in my 2010 camaro V6 for the SS. I have done most of the bolt-ons to my car; intake, ehuast, lt headers, catch can, and the vmax icealator on the way. I have the money in my toy fund for a turbo or supercharger system (sts or ipf) is what I'm thinking, but I have recently started thinking about just trading up for the SS and putting the man fund money on the down payment. Do you guys think I'd get more bang for the money with my car or trading up? I do love my car and finding a synergy green SS would be a challenge. Thanks for the input.

jesse454545 03-08-2013 11:03 PM

LOL im going thru the same dilemma, I love my V6 and have the money to put a super charger in it but i don't think ill be 100% happy with it, I am trying to do a trade in and use the money i have for the F/I for a down payment on the V8 then after that ill start saving up for a super charger again. So if you can, go with the V8 if your trying to go for performance but at the end its all up too you, this is just what i am trying to do.

lscamaro 03-08-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Limegeenmachine (Post 6264301)
So first I'm new to camaro5 so hello to all, now my question is whether or not to trade in my 2010 camaro V6 for the SS. I have done most of the bolt-ons to my car; intake, ehuast, lt headers, catch can, and the vmax icealator on the way. I have the money in my toy fund for a turbo or supercharger system (sts or ipf) is what I'm thinking, but I have recently started thinking about just trading up for the SS and putting the man fund money on the down payment. Do you guys think I'd get more bang for the money with my car or trading up? I do love my car and finding a synergy green SS would be a challenge. Thanks for the input.

If your set on a synergy green, it might be hard to find one. But if you feel like you want more, that will probably happen even if you add FI to the v6. So I'd say upgrade to the SS if you can swing it. Only reason I say is because if you want to mod the SS as well, there is a lot more room to grow. With the v6, you're pretty much at the limit NA wise and as soon as you add FI your at the complete limit power wise on the v6.

Quick suggestion though. Stay away from sts. Their kit is garbage.

Can't_C_Me 03-08-2013 11:26 PM

Personally if you can come out on top with trading for a SS, insurance, and gas do it. If you aren't going to look good even with you downpayment leave it alone and FI the V6. BUT whatever you do don't get the STS kit. Their are many V6 members here that have or had the kit and it hasn't ran right since day one. IF you like a challenge mod the V6 and be different as the SS has been modded in all different types of ways already. It's not everyday you see a boosted 5th gen V6.

lscamaro 03-08-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse454545 (Post 6264337)
LOL im going thru the same dilemma, I love my V6 and have the money to put a super charger in it but i don't think ill be 100% happy with it, I am trying to do a trade in and use the money i have for the F/I for a down payment on the V8 then after that ill start saving up for a super charger again. So if you can, go with the V8 if your trying to go for performance but at the end its all up too you, this is just what i am trying to do.

:word: If you feel like you won't be satisfied with 375-400 rwhp, just trade in the v6 because that's about the limit right now on the v6 LLTs. The LFXs can do more but you'll never get v8 numbers until the fueling situation gets figured out. Which thanks to gretchen, might be solved in the near future. But until then, we are stuck. Not only that but then you have to take the issue of reliability into account. No one has pushed the v6 a lot so we don't know when things will start to break.

BaylorCamaro 03-08-2013 11:40 PM

Ahhhh yea I was in this same boat 10 months ago. I nearly picked up an SS but I decided to go FI because all of the mods I had done my self and it had a lot of sentimental value to me.

Looking back on it I wish I would have traded up for an SS. WAY MORE after market support in both mods and tuning. Not to mention all the issues I've had to work around.

If you have a lot of money to make a sick FI build like Gretchen then thats what I'd do. But for the average joe it just makes more sense to trade up. An SS with simple bolt ons and a good cam would be sick. These LS engine have been around forever and are absolutely awesome. The DOHC DI V6 is relatively new.

Another thing to keep in mind is the 6th gen is about 2-3 years away. It will be lighter and have more power and assuming GM doesn't F up the appearance it should be an awesome car. I'm waiting to pick up a 50th anniversary 6th gen SS as my toy. So if I was you, I'd wait for the 6th gen and enjoy your current car. With all the money you'll save up over the next couple of years you could get a sick car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.

Dyk-NO 03-09-2013 02:14 AM

Well for me, I'm happy from what I have, it goes fast when I need to and I dont track it often so I'll just have a sharp looking car that goes fast until the speed limit! lol
with over 7 years of driving still have a clean driving record and Im proud of that

GretchenGotGrowl 03-09-2013 07:19 AM

If you are really set on a SGM car, then you will have to work to find a used one. I really miss mine...loved that color. However, if I was in your shoes I'd wait and find out if the LS7 is really going in the 2014 Camaro. If it does and you can swing it then grab one. Otherwise, just wait until we hear more about what will be in the Gen 6s. Everybody wants more power, but it is now getting so close to some major changes in the Camaro I personally would be patient and see what comes out.

Nutbutt 03-09-2013 07:40 AM

I went with the IPF SC due to similar conditions. I have an RJT and since it's not offered anymore I didn't want to upgrade to an SS. This car is my almost daily driver on a 40 min commute each day and with the SC I'm still getting 23 MPG and the power of a V8. I don't track the car very often an I am very happy with the current performance. I went with IPF because of the quality of the kit and their knowledge of the Bosch ECM.
The only question in my mind now is a possible upgrade to a 2014 vette :) but this would mean a cleaning house of the cars I have !
Good luck with your decision, the SS really does offer more future options but the LLT SC does offer benefits too :cool:

Ventmaster 03-09-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6264934)
However, if I was in your shoes I'd wait and find out if the LS7 is really going in the 2014 Camaro. If it does and you can swing it then grab one. Otherwise, just wait until we hear more about what will be in the Gen 6s. Everybody wants more power, but it is now getting so close to some major changes in the Camaro I personally would be patient and see what comes out.

+1 :emoticon14:

KMPrenger 03-09-2013 12:11 PM

I guess I'll throw out my two cents.

Most people will say go V8 and I can't argue against that.

In my opinion its not about power (unless you want BIG power then that makes a difference)

But it all comes back to the "its a V6 thing" saying we had around here. If you want a V8....you know it. The big engine, the muscular sound....if you want it, you want it and you can't fight it.

But if you are like some of us around here, wanting something unique, something that will turn heads when you say "450+ HP V6" then go with FI. Your bolt ons, plus the IPF SC puts you squarely into the 470 - 480 crank HP range and faster than a stock SS. SS will still have you on power in lower rpms, but in the upper rpms you'll pull away every time.

I'm the type of person that could be completely satisfied with that. I know I could be. But if you think you want more like 600 HP then go SS, unless you want to do a "gretchen" like build which will cost you a lot more.

jesse454545 03-09-2013 01:06 PM

anyone have the link to the Gretchen build, i would like to check it out.

BaylorCamaro 03-09-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse454545 (Post 6265792)
anyone have the link to the Gretchen build, i would like to check it out.

Literally like two threads below this lol

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258249

BaylorCamaro 03-09-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 6265632)
I guess I'll throw out my two cents.

Most people will say go V8 and I can't argue against that.

In my opinion its not about power (unless you want BIG power then that makes a difference)

But it all comes back to the "its a V6 thing" saying we had around here. If you want a V8....you know it. The big engine, the muscular sound....if you want it, you want it and you can't fight it.

But if you are like some of us around here, wanting something unique, something that will turn heads when you say "450+ HP V6" then go with FI. Your bolt ons, plus the IPF SC puts you squarely into the 470 - 480 crank HP range and faster than a stock SS. SS will still have you on power in lower rpms, but in the upper rpms you'll pull away every time.

I'm the type of person that could be completely satisfied with that. I know I could be. But if you think you want more like 600 HP then go SS, unless you want to do a "gretchen" like build which will cost you a lot more.

While I agree with this, one also needs to factor in reliability. If you're trying to reach a certain hp number the SS will be more reliable at that level everytime.

I'm NOT saying everyone will have an issue. BUT everyone knows all the problems I've run into. Some IPF owners have had issues (usually pretty minor), and we all know STS sucks. Yes I know saying you gotta pay to play but in the long run I'm thinking you gotta pay more to play with a V6.