Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Ride Control Systems (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272023)

CrystalRedTintcoat 01-19-2013 08:37 PM

Ride Control Systems

I've added these notes for myself about the RCS options for the 1LE based on the manual. I found the paragraphical form too hard to remember. Read your manual due to all the warnings. These options are for experienced track racers:

Three Ride Control Settings:
  1. Traction Control System (TCS)
  2. StabilTrak System
  3. Competitive Driving Mode

Traction Control System (TCS)
  • Limits wheel spin.
  • Uses engine and brakes to control spin during acceleration. All driving speeds. Maximum driver control.
  • Signals throttle to reduce drive wheel torque.
  • Applies brakes during acceleration in certain conditions (e.g.: pavement to ice).
  • Turn off when stuck in sand, mud, snow, deep snow, loose gravel to assist a lower speeds.

StabilTrak System
  • Electronic stability control.
  • Assists with directional control of vehicle.
  • Activated when computer senses a discrepancy between intended direction and vehicle's actual direction.
  • Applies pressure at any one of brakes to help vehicle steer to the intended direction.

Competitive Driving Mode
  • Allows increased performance while accelerating and/or cornering.
  • Regulates and optimizes the engine, brakes and suspension performance.

Launch Control
  • Available with Competitive Driving Mode
  • Achieve high levels of vehicle acceleration in a straight line.
  • Form of Traction Control that manages wheel spin when launching.

Here's how to leverage these systems by turning them OFF/ON:

Attachment 464436

Mgizzle 01-20-2013 01:09 PM

I think ur post is very confusing. There is no stabilitrak mode.

1) Normal driving mode ( tc and stabilitrak on)
2) TC off mode ( tc off, stabilitrak fully on), press TC button once
3) Competitive mode on (tc off, stabilitrak in competition mode), press TC button twice.
4) Everything off ( tc off, stabilitrak off), press TC button and hold until two yellow tell tales on speed gauge show off, one tc off and one squrly car tracks for stabilitrak off. Center cluster will state stabilitrak off too.

Modes 3 and 4 change steering ratio/effort. I love the mode 3 steering and drive with that most of the time, 4 is even better but I dont use it in the colder temps for the street.

Mode 3 also allows launch control.

Also, not sure I would call them "ride modes". Ride is used to describe vertical vehicle control and exists on electric dampening systems like MR and the two mode Shelby, Viper etc. We dont have ride modes on the 1LE, maybe driver modes?

CrystalRedTintcoat 01-20-2013 06:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgizzle (Post 6060742)
I think ur post is very confusing. There is no stabilitrak mode.

1) Normal driving mode ( tc and stabilitrak on)
2) TC off mode ( tc off, stabilitrak fully on), press TC button once
3) Competitive mode on (tc off, stabilitrak in competition mode), press TC button twice.
4) Everything off ( tc off, stabilitrak off), press TC button and hold until two yellow tell tales on speed gauge show off, one tc off and one squrly car tracks for stabilitrak off. Center cluster will state stabilitrak off too.

Modes 3 and 4 change steering ratio/effort. I love the mode 3 steering and drive with that most of the time, 4 is even better but I dont use it in the colder temps for the street.

Mode 3 also allows launch control.

Also, not sure I would call them "ride modes". Ride is used to describe vertical vehicle control and exists on electric dampening systems like MR and the two mode Shelby, Viper etc. We dont have ride modes on the 1LE, maybe driver modes?

I might be a bit cranky b/c my home network took a dump this afternoon and I'm still trying to fix it. I totally DISAGREE with you, MG. I digested this straight from the manual. I know you say StabilTrak doesn't exist but it certainly says so in the manual. Maybe my use of "MODE" is a bit loose. But anything you switch on/off is a mode frankly speaking. Maybe Chevy branded something this year that's always been there?

Attachment 464321

Attachment 464322

Attachment 464323

Attachment 464324

Brian 1LE SS 01-20-2013 10:16 PM

Just call them what they are. Driver nannys.

CrystalRedTintcoat 01-21-2013 12:30 AM

The uber matrix of performance settings

1 Attachment(s)
Summarized based on MG's feedback.

Attachment 464436

Mgizzle 01-21-2013 10:17 AM

CRT, sorry man, didnt mean to say stabilitrak doesnt exist but meant to say its not a mode in it self. Stabilitrak is just gm s name for ESC, electronic stability system. It uses various sensors from car ( steering sensor, yaw sensor, wheel speeds, throttle sensor etc) to determine if you are loosing control or not. If ur car is rotating to fast and the computer reads that ur steering compensation is not enough or fast enough than it puts a counter moment on the car via brake application on certain corners. That is just one of the major features.

Also, look at that manual u posted, it states ride systems because zl1 is under it too, but it calls the competitive mode a driver mode because it doesnt do anything to ride.

Nice summary table.

Lumino1LE 01-21-2013 11:20 AM

Great job, CRT. Very useful.

Synner 01-21-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat (Post 6058532)
These options are for INexperienced track racers:

One more edit needed. LOL.

PYROLYSIS 01-21-2013 11:44 AM

1. So to turn TC and ST back on you have to turn the car off and restart?
2. If both the lights come on in competitive mode and when everything is off, how do you know everything is off and you're not in competitive mode? Is it just by holding the button down for 5 seconds?
3. If you turn the car off and you had TC and ST turned off will it remember that or will it default to turning TC and ST back on?

OzzySS 01-21-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS (Post 6063869)
1. So to turn TC and ST back on you have to turn the car off and restart?
2. If both the lights come on in competitive mode and when everything is off, how do you know everything is off and you're not in competitive mode? Is it just by holding the button down for 5 seconds?
3. If you turn the car off and you had TC and ST turned off will it remember that or will it default to turning TC and ST back on?

I've been playing with this lately...
1. You don't have to turn the car off, another push on the TC will turn everything back on.
2. The double tap of TC will make Competitive Mode display briefly on your DIC...I haven't noticed anything special for turning everything off, but maybe I just haven't done that yet.
3. Default is everything set to ON.

PYROLYSIS 01-21-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzzySS (Post 6063926)
I've been playing with this lately...
1. You don't have to turn the car off, another push on the TC will turn everything back on.
2. The double tap of TC will make Competitive Mode display briefly on your DIC...I haven't noticed anything special for turning everything off, but maybe I just haven't done that yet.
3. Default is everything set to ON.

Cool. Thanks.

Mgizzle 01-21-2013 12:17 PM

One mistake I think, in competitive mode u dont get the squirly car light on dash, just tc off.

dirkdoesdirt 01-21-2013 12:29 PM

This is great info and helps clear alot of questions up, especially those of us who are patiently waiting for their car. :)
Thanks for the input!!!

Lumino1LE 01-21-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgizzle (Post 6063971)
One mistake I think, in competitive mode u dont get the squirly car light on dash, just tc off.

Comp Mode turns on two lights and tapping the button once, returns it to " normal".