Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   1/9/09 IDL OFFICIAL THREAD - NEWS: PRODUCTION START DELAYED (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11494)

JMAN311 01-09-2009 12:47 PM

The delay makes me really :cry:. But not as sad as I would be if I had got an inferior product 30 days earlier. It's fine with me to wait 30 days for them to get it done right the first time and save me having to go back and forth from getting warranty work done or having to get features installed after I get it that should have been there from the start.

AirBoyzT 01-09-2009 12:48 PM

Any one think it won't be released at all this year and they will just wait til 2010...they keep pushing back the date..I hope not...really want it when I get back to the states...

camarogreg@evs 01-09-2009 12:48 PM

Camaro Officially Delayed Until March 16th

Just announced in the IDL, Camaro has been "re-timed" until March 16th, 2009. No retail production will begin until then. As for the 10,000+ pre-orders taken, they mean nothing unless your dealer has an allocation and per the Camaro Marketing Manager, the roll out will be slow for the first few months. All dealers will receive at least two Camaros. One of those cars, the dealer has no choice but to take a V6. V8 cars will be VERY limited. GM expected the pre-orders to be 50/50 V6 vs. V8 and it was 80/20 V8. They do not have the capacity to build that many SS's and this car will be VERY LIMITED. Dealers will not recieve their first consensus numbers for another month. As stated by GM, the Camaro will have a VERY SLOW roll out.

Greg Sanders
EVS Chevrolet

leatherneck 01-09-2009 12:50 PM

this reakky isnt so bad

most pre orders were supposed to go into production feb 16th----which meant we were expecting deliverys to start any where from mid march to the first of april

so now we expct it from mid april to the first of may---i live in a bad area for snow it doesnt even start to warm up here til may------plus its another month to save for down payment---if it means getting abl right -its worth the wait of three or 4 more weeks

camarorick 01-09-2009 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D (Post 239834)
Problem is I was moving back to American cars with the Camaro, have a Honda at the moment.

Beaters are your friend ;) Up here in the great white north, I pretty much buy a beater for each winter season.... $500 should find you something to drive while your baby is being built!!

JKashat 01-09-2009 12:52 PM

If that's the case, I'm gonna have to cancel my order and look into something else. My Denali goes back March 15, 2009. I was expecting my Camaro to arrive in March. A week or two with an extra car or a week or two sharing a car with my wife is OK, but a month??? I dunno about that. I might just have to reconsider the G37S Coupe, Audi A5/S5 or BMW M3. I don't want at Corvette or 370Z, only 2 seats. I'd love a GT-R, but they're way too expensive already and dealers are jacking up the prices even more.

undeadswamp 01-09-2009 12:52 PM

I don't see why can't just push back the ABL orders and build the rest... Yes, very selfish but I want my 1SS!

96CAMaro 01-09-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarogreg@evs (Post 239851)
Just announced in the IDL, Camaro has been "re-timed" until March 16th, 2009. No retail production will begin until then. As for the 10,000+ pre-orders taken, they mean nothing unless your dealer has an allocation and per the Camaro Marketing Manager, the roll out will be slow for the first few months. All dealers will receive at least two Camaros. One of those cars, the dealer has no choice but to take a V6. V8 cars will be VERY limited. GM expected the pre-orders to be 50/50 V6 vs. V8 and it was 80/20 V8. They do not have the capacity to build that many SS's and this car will be VERY LIMITED. Dealers will not recieve their first consensus numbers for another month. As stated by GM, the Camaro will have a VERY SLOW roll out.

Greg Sanders
EVS Chevrolet

:thumbdown:

JMAN311 01-09-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarogreg@evs (Post 239851)

Greg Sanders
EVS Chevrolet

That doesn't make me happy at all :mad0259:. Was there any GOOD info in the IDL? besides the xtra 4hp that we'll apparently have to wait longer than expected for in the SS

TomServo 01-09-2009 12:53 PM

Disappointing, my son (who returns from Iraq in early April) needs a car upon his return. Since I talked him out of buying a Honda Accord Coupe in the first place, I'm guessing he'll cancel his order and buy the Accord.

For some the delay is no BIG deal, but for a GI returning to the states and needing a car to report to his duty station, this is a major issue.

GM shot themselves in the foot. They failed to manage customer expectations, we've been told for months now that all is well. Of course most of that was from forum FAN's not real GM reps. I fault myself for believing that and passing that info on to my son.

CamaroScotty 01-09-2009 12:54 PM

Original post UPDATED with more info

rico-2SS 01-09-2009 12:54 PM

well once production starts it takes what 6 weeks to hit the dealerships.....right.????...that is still a late april drive off...snow should be gone by then in the northern territories.

But man I am bummed....I know they want to get it right but did I mention the delay bums me out.....I think I am going to go :barf:

GothamCamaro 01-09-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undeadswamp (Post 239858)
I don't see why can't just push back the ABL orders and build the rest... Yes, very selfish but I want my 1SS!

Its not only the ABL they is causing this delay I'm sure. I'm fine with that though to wait another 30 days to get the ABL right but there other things they are working on.

camarorick 01-09-2009 12:54 PM

Maybe they want to build up enough inventory so that they flood the market in one swoop ?

camarogreg@evs 01-09-2009 12:54 PM

GM also stated that 30% of the dealers did not submit any pre-orders. We have been saying all along that this "pre-order" program was a bunch of flum just to make good press. Camaro will be just like Corvette in that it is a "controlled car". GM is targeting this car against import cars not the Mustang. That is why they are focusing on the V6. They say their research shows that most Camaro buyers are more concerned with style and appearance rather than performance. The enthusiast buyer only makes up 1/3 of the market. I say BS! The Camaro is the iconic American Muscle Car, not some ricer. Come on GM, build what the people want!

Greg Sanders
EVS Chevrolet

DGthe3 01-09-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by undeadswamp (Post 239858)

We don't know what the delay is being caused by. It could be ABL, it could be the seat thing, it could be GM financial situation, it could be that one of the robots used for assembly has issues. We simply don't know. I'm sure we will find out within the next day what the exact cause is.

JMAN311 01-09-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty (Post 239863)

Thanks Scotty :w00t: We really appreciate all you dealers keeping us in the loop :respekt:

bob2the2nd 01-09-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty (Post 239763)
Start of production NOW 3/16/08

TRUE HP #'s

L99 = 400 HP
LS3 = 426

Convertible as a 2011 model

Ambient lighting - NO NEW NEWS

Factory may apply more stripes in near future

UPDATE:

ALL OFFERED DISCOUNTS WILL BE AVAILABLE FROM DAY 1

Door Sill plates STANDARD on V8's, and available for V6's

SS demand not a big concern, it may or may NOT be a cause for a constraint

Brake calipers are BLACK with CHEVROLET in WHITE, and BREMBO in RED

HERITAGE GRILLE has a bowtie gold badge

1 month delay not a result of Cadence supplier issues - secondary suplliers already up to speed

Rear gears: 327 in V6, and 345 in V8's

Perelli snows recommended for 20" with factory perf tires if in a snowy area

All sold orders anticipated to be built by the October consensus period.

does this mean college discounts, suppliers, etc???

:fingers crossed:

bobby35ny 01-09-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarogreg@evs (Post 239867)
GM also stated that 30% of the dealers did not submit any pre-orders. We have been saying all along that this "pre-order" program was a bunch of flum just to make good press. Camaro will be just like Corvette in that it is a "controlled car". GM is targeting this car against import cars not the Mustang. That is why they are focusing on the V6. They say their research shows that most Camaro buyers are more concerned with style and appearance rather than performance. The enthusiast buyer only makes up 1/3 of the market. I say BS! The Camaro is the iconic American Muscle Car, not some ricer. Come on GM, build what the people want!

Greg Sanders
EVS Chevrolet

I have a Workbench number. does that mean the pre order went in?

-Bobby

Rogue Leader 01-09-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty (Post 239863)

I don't get the part about snow tires... Pirelli has a reccomended 20" snow tire for the car or they are offering a tire to order with the car....?

babyjulie83 01-09-2009 12:57 PM

darn.....now i'm sad.

Who knows when we will all start getting our Camaros.......guess all we can do is wait....God knows i'm not cancelling my order. My broken down buick will just have to keep truckin'

:cry:

Silver Streak 01-09-2009 12:58 PM

:iono:Has production been pushed back more than once? I am kinda new to the forum and just ordered 12/28/08. I do think that the release of this car was as a 2010 model for a few years now and believe that production has always been planned for spring of 2009 so have I been mistaken. Because if this is the only actual delay, that would make me feel a little more confident, even though I do believe this car will be rolling the streets everywhere this summer.
Sorry if this old question?

camarogreg@evs 01-09-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMAN311 (Post 239861)
That doesn't make me happy at all :mad0259:. Was there any GOOD info in the IDL? besides the xtra 4hp that we'll apparently have to wait longer than expected for in the SS

The LS3 is now officially 426 h.p. and they made the point that it is 1 h.p. more than the Challenger. Also, OnStar with directions and connections is standard on 2LT & 2SS. The ambient lighting that looked awesome on the 2SS has been delayed until they make sure it is right. So if your 2SS is an early car, you won't have all the standard equipment. I wonder if that has anything to do with the lawsuit against Cadence. They were making interior trim and airbag covers.

Greg Sanders
EVS Chevrolet

DGthe3 01-09-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camarorick (Post 239866)
. . . swoop ?

:readthethread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtahvit (Post 239826)
no swoops.

King Mouse 01-09-2009 12:58 PM

Another example of poor management.