Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Plasti Dip Application Tips (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147795)

derek19 06-12-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stieger (Post 3331992)
Well I read up a bit more on plasti-dip and checked out its certification, etc etc. Basically the temperature range of -30 to 200 is for plasti-dip in its solid (hardened) form. So it would take a pretty hot day to get the plasti-dip to a high enough temp that the chemical bond structure would break up (the bond structure is what gives plasti-dip the tough/rubberly/plastic feel to it. So in short, you should be fine. I wouldn't worry about the heat.

Thanks man, appreciate it.

Also, your car looks good. Love the lights.

destroyerofu2 06-13-2011 04:52 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I did some more plasti sergery :yikes:

did the top and bottom of the front lip
Attachment 252236

did the lower side and inset body line
(not sure if i like the inset body line yet)
Attachment 252238
Attachment 252237

lower side all the way around
Attachment 252239
cant really tell from pictures but about the lower 2-3 inches is black on the sides from front to rear
Attachment 252240

destroyerofu2 06-13-2011 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
one more

YOUNGnRECKLESS 06-14-2011 12:37 AM

wow, props for tryin everything out! looks really good. time well spent for sure. im a fan of plstidip, but have yet to venture into the body painting realm with it. im dying to do the ls7 style blackouts, but now i may try plastidip first to see how i like it, then pro paint

destroyerofu2 06-14-2011 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOUNGnRECKLESS (Post 3336464)
wow, props for tryin everything out! looks really good. time well spent for sure. im a fan of plstidip, but have yet to venture into the body painting realm with it. im dying to do the ls7 style blackouts, but now i may try plastidip first to see how i like it, then pro paint

its real easy to work with i am loving it

TonyNo 06-14-2011 09:55 AM

destroyerofu2: Any tips on masking with this stuff?

pyledrivr 06-14-2011 11:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I plasti-dip my trunk today. I thought it turned out really nice. PIA taping around the bowtie ended up doing it twice. I didn't like the edges first time.

destroyerofu2 06-14-2011 12:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyNo (Post 3337268)
destroyerofu2: Any tips on masking with this stuff?

i am just using masking tape 2" and 1/4"(for the bends) and trash bags

I tape it all off with desired shape add cut up trash bags to surrounding area and,

if small area spray light coat give about 30 seconds, then heavier coat, 30 seconds and another heavy coat, then pull tape as quick as possable.

if big area spray light coat starting at one side working way to other side (long ways), as soon as done with that coat start next coat heavy same spray patern(no waiting), as soon that is done, do next coat heavy making sure to cover everything, then pull tape as quick as possable

the key is to pull the tape and not let it dry to the tape.

dont be worried if you have some runs or a few ruff edges, a few min after you pull tape then check the edges for runs and just rub them off

TIP: when rubbing off the ruff edges and runs a plastick decal squige is good to put on your line(using the pointy part to mark your line and rubbing below the squige), then you dont have to worry about rubing into the part you want to keep.

I have to do the other side of the car tonight (just did one side to see if i liked it) so i will tke pictures and post those up.

heres the side i already did

sorry for the fingers it was bright out

seddon 06-17-2011 10:11 PM

any pics of the tail light bezel using plastic dip

camaro_RS 06-18-2011 09:33 AM

Looks bada** man! Well done!

rareslick 06-18-2011 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seddon (Post 3353668)
any pics of the tail light bezel using plastic dip

http://tapatalk.com/mu/ceff0ccd-b7f6-d334.jpg

seddon 06-18-2011 02:41 PM

thanks

mydreamcar 06-18-2011 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyledrivr (Post 3337783)
I plasti-dip my trunk today. I thought it turned out really nice. PIA taping around the bowtie ended up doing it twice. I didn't like the edges first time.

That is nice but I am too much of a chicken shit to try that out

shevyman 06-20-2011 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destroyerofu2 (Post 3332754)
one more

ok my question to you is what kind of tape did you use to get the lines you wanted? second how long did you wait to peel the tape off?

cause for me all i had at the moment was painters blue tape. so i worked with it and got the lines i wanted on my car. i did three layers of plasti dip. about 30 mins or more in between layers like the can said. but here is where i messed up. i waited maybe 2 hours or and a half hours and then went and tried to remove the tape. well the paint was stuck to the tape and it peeled the plasti dip. any advice? should i have let it sit over night?

ok i just saw your last post.. so you used the trash bags to protect your paint right? not to help with the lines. so i guess do my three layers right away and then tear off the tape asap.