Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   CLUNKING NOISE IN FRONT END (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38507)

Speedy One 08-21-2009 09:10 AM

CLUNKING NOISE IN FRONT END

I have noitced a slight clunking noise that sounds like it is coming from the front suspension when going over bumps in the pavement. I only have 500 miles on, but it seems to be gradually getting more noticable. Anyone else experiancing this ? Would appreciate your input.:mad0259:

Speedy One

TooCool5 08-22-2009 03:17 PM

Take it in for an inspection. A nut or sway bar could be loose in the front end.

_GTO_ 08-24-2009 06:41 AM

It's happen alot with the G8's .

67 Convertible 08-24-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _GTO_ (Post 836360)
It's happen alot with the G8's .

Was there a problem with the G8's? or is the clunking "normal'?

Skyblu 08-24-2009 01:26 PM

Yes, the same thing happened with mine about 800 miles,just took it to the dealer this past friday and of course they said they could find nothing wrong with it even though I went on a test drive with the technician and brought the noise to his attention they said all was ok but documented it and said if it continues bring it back. a waste of 2 1/2
hours of my time and the noise is still there, it doesn't do it all the time only only when going over ruff road not over speed bumps.

_GTO_ 08-25-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 Convertible (Post 836590)
Was there a problem with the G8's? or is the clunking "normal'?

Yes there was a problem with the G8's and both " Chevrolet Lumina and caprice in ME" and the dealer claim that the tires and the shocks are the biggest reason:mad0260:

Speedy One 08-26-2009 10:42 AM

Thanks for the input, I guess I'll have to take it in and waste 2 1/2 hours of my time also. If I find anything out I will let you know.:mad0259:

Speedy One

Skyblu 08-26-2009 12:19 PM

The more I hear the noise it sounds as if the struts are "bottoming" out (if thats a word)
but they claim they checked that also and all was good. Let us know what you find out and maybe I'll go for round two, I found out on another thread today about possible reasons for steering wheel vibration I developed so I can go back to dealer and start again!

prostock69 08-26-2009 12:25 PM

Tire rod? My Dodge Charger RT developed a loud clunk in the front when ever I hit a bump or turned the wheel. The tire rod was bad. Car only had 12,000 miles on it. turns out its a big problem with Dodge Chargers.

monkeywrenching 08-26-2009 08:34 PM

When you go in have them check the front swaybar bushings. Put it up on the alignment rack, take the weight off of the wheels, and jerk on the swaybar. If there is any contact between the bar and the frame you get a hard metal clunk.You don't always get the noise going over bumps. This is sometimes hard to find because the bushings still appear to be fine . But the clamp may have loosened enough so that a bushing could have slipped a hair and this all it can take to allow contact. If you remove the bar and take a ride and the noise goes away then you start the process of elimination from there.

This may seem long-winded but it can drive you nuts d*#@ing around trying to find these things.

coalblack7 09-01-2009 08:03 PM

I have a similar issue... when parking or going over bumps and turning left or right. A very loud knocking noise, which has been getting louder since I took delivery 6/27. I took it to my BMW mech (I work there) told me it was the strut mounts.. took it to Chevy and yup! he was right...they are replacing both strut months (left and right). I didn't let them keep it over night, they are calling me when the parts are in. I can't sleep a wink with out it!

jtcamaro 11-03-2010 09:42 PM

I have a 2010 Camaro ss2 and I am having the same issues with clunking noises in the front end. My dealer keep telling me that this is just the way it is with the Camaros and that there is no fix for it. Any advice? I feel like I am driving a 10 year old car.

MasterZ 11-03-2010 10:00 PM

mine just started doing the same thing about 2 weeks ago... my issue is I have the Eibach Pro kit ( springs & swaybars) so I was thinking something maybe loose.

Last weekend I got under the car and inspected all the nuts/bolts and didnt see anything loose or where it happened to be making contact with the frams.

I did discover while the car was up on jacks if I grab the tire and tried to turn it by hand. There seems to be some slack in the steering assebly and if I did it pretty hard it would make a bit of clucking noise. I wonder if this is what it could be?

Wonder if my warranty would be void cause I changed the springs/swaybars?

rolnslo 11-03-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtcamaro (Post 2513445)
I have a 2010 Camaro ss2 and I am having the same issues with clunking noises in the front end. My dealer keep telling me that this is just the way it is with the Camaros and that there is no fix for it. Any advice? I feel like I am driving a 10 year old car.

GM is still claiming this sound is normal for the Camaros...there is an ongoing thread here: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49036