Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Upgraded GMPP Factory performance exhaust? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93628)

Dr.Bender 07-07-2010 09:48 AM

Upgraded GMPP Factory performance exhaust?

good? bad?

sscamaro 07-07-2010 11:19 AM

Buy after market exhaust. cheeper and better.

topgun1 07-10-2010 07:55 AM

bad

cwalms 07-10-2010 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topgun1 (Post 2079921)
bad

Can you elaborate?

brantley847 07-10-2010 02:21 PM

Many who knock it..haven't had it installed...

I admit the price is a little high and you will get more bang for your buck going aftermarket, but it completely squashes any issues with dealers voiding the warranty. Personally, this car is not a daily driver so I don't think I should have any issues if I only put 2-3k miles on the car in a year. If it is an everyday driver and you think you may use the warranty, make some calls...ask your dealers. If they are ok with you installing aftermarket then def go that route...borla, corsa, magnaflow, flowmaster, all have great sounds. To me the GMPP sounds like the touring exhaust from borla...very quite, but WOT sounds great.

No one here should make a blanket statement and say a dealer will still honor his warranty...even on Axle back, because they may not. I live in Orlando and only have 2 dealers in a 20 mile radius....they honor after market axle back only if they install it.

My 5th 07-11-2010 12:47 AM

I have the oval, not round GMPP axle-back on my car. I have the GFX, so the round tips wouldn't fit, got the model with no tips and had custom tips added. Yeah, it's pricey. After adding the tips mine was about $900, for a few hundred more I could have had MBRP cat-back 3" system with even better looking square tips. But I bought on impulse, and the dealer had it in stock.

Sound a little louder and deeper than stock cans. I do have some drone between 1,600 and 1,900 RPM under slight load conditions. Probably not loud enough, even for an old fart like me. I may add headers in a few months, maybe that will wake it up a little more. Using high flow cats and eliminating the second stock cat should make it louder, and hopefully will eliminate the drone (may need and X-pipe and remove resonators to do that completely)

Lizard96 07-11-2010 01:02 AM

had it installed. sounded awful, and made them put the old one on, got my money back and got a cheaper and BETTER system installed. don't keep it if you can.

winston2ss 07-11-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizard96 (Post 2082993)
had it installed. sounded awful, and made them put the old one on, got my money back and got a cheaper and BETTER system installed. don't keep it if you can.

well that pretty much settles it for me. magnaflow catback here i come!!:headbang:

ImportImage 07-11-2010 08:37 AM

the GMPP for the 4th gens was one of the best exhaust systems you could get, but for the 5th gens I would definatly take a look at magnaflow if money is an issue and if you have a bit more to spend look at the Borla, Corsa.

I am do not like the flowmaster from my experiences with the 4th gen's.

Bonemaro 07-11-2010 11:12 PM

From what i understand Borla makes the GMPP exhaust (axle back). It's not too loud, but sounds great when you get on it. Everyone has their preference though.

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 07-11-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonemaro (Post 2086155)
From what i understand Borla makes the GMPP exhaust (axle back). It's not too loud, but sounds great when you get on it. Everyone has their preference though.

Correct...contracted out to Borla.

And while it's not a bad piece, for the money, there are other options.

I don't even think that we sell a Catback for more than the GMPP Axleback.

Just a thought, but for what you could buy an aftermarket Catback for versus the GMPP piece, you'd have money left over for other things.

Lots of other things.

-Ivan

~Stacy~ 07-11-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My 5th (Post 2082955)
I have the oval, not round GMPP axle-back on my car. I have the GFX, so the round tips wouldn't fit, got the model with no tips and had custom tips added. Yeah, it's pricey. After adding the tips mine was about $900, for a few hundred more I could have had MBRP cat-back 3" system with even better looking square tips. But I bought on impulse, and the dealer had it in stock.

Sound a little louder and deeper than stock cans. I do have some drone between 1,600 and 1,900 RPM under slight load conditions. Probably not loud enough, even for an old fart like me. I may add headers in a few months, maybe that will wake it up a little more. Using high flow cats and eliminating the second stock cat should make it louder, and hopefully will eliminate the drone (may need and X-pipe and remove resonators to do that completely)

I have the round tips and just added the gm gfx a few weeks ago and it fits;)

Dr.Bender 07-12-2010 12:27 AM

Thanks for the input. I ordered it with my new car (before i asked). Hope it doesn't suck.

Bonemaro 07-12-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Bender (Post 2086479)
Thanks for the input. I ordered it with my new car (before i asked). Hope it doesn't suck.

It won't you'll be happy you have it instead of the stock cans.