Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Camaro straight pipe, a quick and easy exhaust mod (videos) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24815)

96rss/ls6 05-29-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in a hurry (Post 531918)
Thats what I will do! this sounds awsome! Anybody know were I can

get this done in the Greenville/Greer area?

Yeah im in greer and I have an awesome guy to do it. do you have your car yet

DkknightX 05-29-2009 05:25 PM

Awesome! Now THIS is what I'm talking about. Don't need fancy mod kits that cost tens of thousands more. Solutions like this are a little more realistic. Thanks!

96rss/ls6 05-29-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS (Post 531925)
Well in a perfect world or if perfection was not important you could do that. However to get everything lined up and in the center of the factory hole it was a process of bend fit and bend and fit until everything was just right. I am sure that some of the kits can come pretty close and they are getting another camaro in a few days so they will play around and see if they can come up with an acceptable kit. Other issue is the tip. I used the original factory tip but as a kit the unit would more than likely have to have a different tip already installed. Not a bad thing cause there are some real cool tips available.

I thought you meant the pipes centering the back of the car fro underneath. As far as center of the hole goes that shouldnt be a problem, you should have exhaust hangers that hold them in the center of the hole.

Indpowr 05-29-2009 05:30 PM

Awesome job Larry

Bell040 05-29-2009 05:41 PM

go weigh those babies on a bathroom scale.... first real weight reduction data... 30lb aint bad

wonder how this would sound with LT headers.... or better yet..... a cam

ssrsheaven 05-29-2009 05:49 PM

:party0038:Now thats what I'm talking about.

MR. FBDY 05-29-2009 05:53 PM

Are you offering these tail pipes available for sale? I can install them myself when my car comes in, but I would like to buy a set for my car if you are making them.

wavrun2000 05-29-2009 05:54 PM

Very nice! I would love to hear some longer videos though because it is hard to get a feel for it only hearing it for 5 sec.

GMtothecore 05-29-2009 05:57 PM

awesome simple exhaust mod!...sounds good

MikeBing 05-29-2009 06:04 PM

maybe I'm the only person that's somewhat worried about this...maybe I just need to suck it up.

but, does it drone too badly? and what's the noise level like in the car? I'm just thinking about highway driving...

96rss/ls6 05-29-2009 06:07 PM

if your worried about it then it probably will be to loud. I dont mean that bad. Its just the fact that your removing the one thing that quitens the engine so it probably will have a lot of resonance, but thats a good thing to me

zebra 05-29-2009 06:10 PM

that sounds great!!

Hylton 05-29-2009 06:14 PM

Funny enough, it is quieter than Tags' full SW exhaust.

Andro 05-29-2009 06:15 PM

Sounds nice

96rss/ls6 05-29-2009 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylton (Post 532064)
Funny enough, it is quieter than Tags' full SW exhaust.

was tags minus cats? if so thats the diff, well that and lt's

wirebender 05-29-2009 06:21 PM

Sounds great! Would love to hear what an L99 sounds like with this....

Cessna510 05-29-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010 SS RS (Post 531929)
I would say about 15 lbs each at most.

JACKPOT! Good to know

Hylton 05-29-2009 06:22 PM

Tag's is the full deal - big tube headers, cats and mufflers.

Visual_Perfection 05-29-2009 06:24 PM

Sounds good, and I don't want to be the first negative comment on this, but $200 to just cut off the mufflers and weld pipe in place of them? Sorry but you could get a much more refined sound with the purchase of 2 "pick your brand" mufflers for around that price.

We had a custom fully mandrel bent stainless exhaust done on our '69 SS Convertible from headers back that even goes up and over the rear axle for under $300 (not including the hooker mufflers). A good exhaust shop that does mandrel bending will easily be able to bend those two short section of pipes and attach them and have them look even, etc.. I know the shop we go to (I have used him for every vehicle I have owned and my Dad has since he was younger) has REASONABLE prices.. I know I'm lucky to know of a shop that doesn't charge you more than they should but I still feel bad for people paying $200 to do something like this. In my opinion from all the exhaust work I have had done on over half a dozen vehicles, I feel you should be able to have this muffler delete and striaght pipe done at a shop for no more than $100.

So yes, if I had to personally spend $200 to have this done, I would go with 2 mufflers for that price to give it a more refined sound, but since it is a job that should be able to be done for $100, it is definately an inexpensive way to make the car sound a bit better.

96rss/ls6 05-29-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hylton (Post 532091)
Tag's is the full deal - big tube headers, cats and mufflers.

Yeah then thats why. Bet that was expensive

96rss/ls6 05-29-2009 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Visual_Perfection (Post 532099)
Sounds good, and I don't want to be the first negative comment on this, but $200 to just cut off the mufflers and weld pipe in place of them? Sorry but you could get a much more refined sound with the purchase of 2 "pick your brand" mufflers for around that price.

We had a custom fully mandrel bent stainless exhaust done on our '69 SS Convertible from headers back for like $265 (not including the hooker mufflers). A good exhaust shop that does mandrel bending will easily be able to bend those two short section of pipes and attach them and have them look even, etc.. I know the shop we go to (I have used him for ever vehicle I have owned and my Dad has since he was younger) has great reasonable prices.. I guess I feel bad for people paying $200 to do something like this. In my opinion from all the exhaust work I have had done on over half a dozen vehicles, I feel you should be able to have this muffler delete and striaght pipe done at a shop for no more than $100.

So yes, if I had to personally spend $200 to have this done, I would go with 2 mufflers for that price to give it a more refined sound, but since it is a job that should be able to be done for $100, it is definately an inexpensive way to make the car sound a bit better.

Yeah I just talked to my guy here and he said he could do it for like 40 or 50 bucks

2010 SS RS 05-29-2009 06:32 PM

To answer some of the above questions. No I am not selling these. I posted this as a cost effective option that utilizes the already good quality tuned pipes the car comes with. The interior sound level does not really change much with the windows up unless you are in a tunnel or garage that is reflecting the sound back to you. The sound inside is prior to the removal of stock mufflers coming from the resonators anyway and this mod does not change any of that. But like someone said. If you want quiet this is not the mod for you. When you are on it, it will roar. But if you are mellow it stays pretty mellow with you. The length of video was limited because I had to email them to Hylton to post on You Tube. Not a computer geek and was kinda clueless. Look all I can say is you can have your pipe tech cut the pipe right before it goes into the muffler. Drop your mufflers down slightly and take a listen before completing your install. If you dont like just have him weld them back or install one of the high dollar kits. If you do like then proceed with the install of new straight pipe. Oh there was a queston about centering and the hangers. GM has a new hanger that is awesome on the camaro. It is a two hole hanger with a flat bar to keep wobble to a minimum. And yes they are but one component of a properly aligned system. The factory tips are another. To get the angles right make sure to take pics before and use them as a guide for placement of the final fit. Good luck

Hylton 05-29-2009 06:32 PM

If you can get it done for cheaper and you are happy with the results, more power to you. I think the main point here is that Camaro buyers have an inexpensive option to have a custom sounding exhaust for very cheap. I am going to consider this just to show off the IRS to the Mustang that pulls in behind me at night. ;)

2010 SS RS 05-29-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96rss/ls6 (Post 532110)
Yeah I just talked to my guy here and he said he could do it for like 40 or 50 bucks

That would be even better. It took a couple hours with one guy and a helper at the time of welding. about 6 ft of pipe and about 3 ft of 3/8" steel for hangers and one zawzaw metal blade. If you go to a shop with a good lift and a good pipe man I dont think that 75 per man hour is unreasonable. I am sure if a guy works for 10 to15 per hour it could be done way cheaper. I just felt good about the quality and know that I got a good deal for the money. But If you can get it done even cheaper.....I dont see that as a negative post....I see that as a positive contribution....Right on dude.

Hemlawk 05-29-2009 06:40 PM

Sounds really good!

I'm all for cheap mods that actually work well. ;)