Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   HPTuners -v- SCT (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304844)

SolomonAKOO 06-29-2013 11:01 PM

HPTuners -v- SCT

Very simple question, which is better to work with as far as doing my own tuning. SCT or HPTuners? im looking at getting the programs for one of them and start doing my own tuning, so which would be the best to work with?

thahemp 06-30-2013 12:26 AM

Nice response time over here huh solomon? Who needs a lounge???

:bellyroll:

thahemp 06-30-2013 12:28 AM

Oh I saw yesterday and didn't realize it was after midnight!

Get HPT. I'm selling off the SCT handheld and switching over to HPT solely because of the online community on their forums.

SolomonAKOO 06-30-2013 12:36 AM

Well actually 10 my time lol. But seriously I've looked at this forum and there is hardley ever any responses. But that's what I'm thinking I just don't wanna have to start all over again. And I was looking at thetuningschool.com and they sell everything to teach you to tune your own vehicles. For both of them.

thahemp 06-30-2013 01:14 AM

I figure sell the sct for 200-250, pay the difference for hpt, and off we go. It's not rocket science... Just gotta dig in.

thahemp 06-30-2013 01:16 AM

Also if you buy from birm you get a free tune from matt to put you back where you were with sct. Birm is awesome.

OzzySS 06-30-2013 01:17 AM

My understanding is hptuners is the way to go for our cars, especially if you want to diy

dixonk 06-30-2013 02:15 AM

If you have knowledge of tuning then HP Tuners will have a lot more flexibility. If you have no knowledge of tuning then HP Tuners will be completely useless for you until you learn what you are doing. With that said HP Tuners and/or EFI Live are the most powerful and versatile tuning systems available for GM Cars. I personally use HP Tuners and have been using HP Tuners for almost 10 years now.

Rhino79 06-30-2013 04:32 AM

HPT or EFILive. I use both, mostly EFILive. But if you guys ever have a question or need some help along the way, shoot me an email or pm. Always glad to see people take on the tuning challenge.

Just don't get frustrated, their is a steep learning curve. And you will find with tuning, you will get varied opinions on how to get it right...lol.

Rhino79 06-30-2013 04:34 AM

Download both for free, and open some files up and check them out! Can go wrong with either bud.

SolomonAKOO 06-30-2013 07:57 AM

Well thanks guys, I guess I have to dig in my pockets and get HPTuners then. I was hoping to stay with SCT since I have the handheld, but it seems as though that's kinda on the dark ages as far as tuning nowadays.

thahemp 06-30-2013 09:39 AM

I wouldn't say it's weaker functionally... I just know i'll need a strong community to aid the learning process. HPT wins that hands down. Their forum is a treasure trove of info with lots of knowledgeable members willing to give you a boost.

Iam Broke 06-30-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thahemp (Post 6734330)
I wouldn't say it's weaker functionally... I just know i'll need a strong community to aid the learning process. HPT wins that hands down. Their forum is a treasure trove of info with lots of knowledgeable members willing to give you a boost.

Most of us over there helps where we can. I've been on a few different platforms with HPT and had a good mentor help me at first.
I think all tuning has a bit of a steep learning curve if you want to do it right.

If you decide HPTuners, get the Pro version as you will need a wideband O2 sensor and the ability to interface it with the logging software. Most over there recommend an NGK. I use the output from an Autometer (Bosch) gauge pod mounted on the column. Sadly our cars only have narrowbands from the factory. (Mustangs use WB sensors stock)

thahemp 06-30-2013 12:29 PM

I had planned on taking over the a/c pressure signal and splicing the wideband in there. I haven't bought my stuff yet, but litle88 already picked up standard. If we can make it work on his then i'll follow the same path.