Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - Texas (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Texas Litterbug tattle system (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33571)

Vash 07-21-2009 07:14 PM

Texas Litterbug tattle system

This is so stupid. They spend our money on this?
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2009/07/...5011248044979/

So anyone can just send your plates in and you get hassled by the state over being a litterbug. You also get your info put into a computer database listed as a litterbug. Reguardless if you did or didn't do and no recourse to cure from record.

This is idiotic waste of money and unethical imo.

solo40oz 07-21-2009 08:13 PM

I got distracted when I clicked on your link and saw this on the side of the page

:confused0068:

http://www.upi.com/News_Photos/Featu...-Dog-Day/2095/

Crowley 07-21-2009 08:41 PM

Cool .. time to get all of those smokers :)

Vash 07-21-2009 08:54 PM

I saw that pic too. Was gonna put it in the random pic.

Nexus6 07-21-2009 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solo40oz (Post 706853)
I got distracted when I clicked on your link and saw this on the side of the page

:confused0068:

http://www.upi.com/News_Photos/Featu...-Dog-Day/2095/

They need to change the "e" to an "a" on those buttons :laugh:

O2BQIK 07-21-2009 09:30 PM

It's not perfect, but it's about time we do something. I'm fed up with seeing people throw their bottles and fast food bags out the window while driving.

Vash 07-21-2009 09:33 PM

So if I report you just because I maybe see you driving and I am in a prius mad at Camaro's it's cool to be listed in a Texas state DB as a litterbug with no legal recourse then?

solo40oz 07-21-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexus6 (Post 707098)
They need to change the "e" to an "a" on those buttons :laugh:

:sm0:

bluch 07-21-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vash (Post 707224)
So if I report you just because I maybe see you driving and I am in a prius mad at Camaro's it's cool to be listed in a Texas state DB as a litterbug with no legal recourse then?

ya. it sucks that anyone can just report you and it doesn't even matter if you actually did it or not. that is like someone calling in your plates for speeding and and then you get a ticket in the mail just on that person's word! BOGUS!

Vash 07-21-2009 10:09 PM

Littering is a misdemeanor in Texas. So basically your labeled for a criminal act with no trial or due process.

Quackaddict 07-21-2009 11:13 PM

:bs: FO SHO

phiz118 07-21-2009 11:14 PM

I'm not sure why this is a major issue. They already have your information, so the information that is input into the website is public knowledge. They are not accusing you of anything, just sending out a letter saying you were seen littering, and here's a free litter bag for your car. If you were littering, then maybe you'll think twice next time. If you weren't, who cares. It's not like you are now on a list where everyone can harass you. Also, they don't mention that you will be kept in a database. Although they might keep your information, I'm not sure what that could be used for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluch (Post 707332)
ya. it sucks that anyone can just report you and it doesn't even matter if you actually did it or not. that is like someone calling in your plates for speeding and and then you get a ticket in the mail just on that person's word! BOGUS!

That's not really the same. If they send in your plates for littering, you don't get a ticket. You only get a letter. If they did start ticketing people, then that would be BS.

Vash 07-21-2009 11:30 PM

No one uses paper for a program like that anymore. It will have to be automated.

The constitution provides for due process. This is a violation of that basic principle.

It's a chipping away of privacy and more towards a police state with less freedom and privacy. This is why it's a problem. If they can take an inch they will want a mile.

bballr4567 07-22-2009 01:11 AM

Seems like a good program to. I cant count how many times Ive seen people throwing crap out of their car, hell Ive even had to put out a road side fire because of someones cigarette butt once. They are just sending you a trash bag to keep in your car to remind you that the roadside isnt your trash bin.

Coop 2010 07-22-2009 07:25 AM

This is no different than the smoking vehicle program.. I got called in because it was a cold morning, I was driving a restored older car that had a manual choke, it was not warmed up yet and it was putting out some black smoke everytime I shifted. Not like the 85 beretta that has no paint all dented and smoking all the time like a bond 007 car trying to get away...which is what the program is intended for. I got the letter in the mail and framed it. I thought it was hilarious that someone wasted there time to call it in...

coolman 07-22-2009 07:38 AM

I can't stand lazy hogs that have to litter our highways and have no respect ,but I have to agree with vash on this one. Now your a litterbug just because someone called your plate in without any kind of proof.

O2BQIK 07-22-2009 10:51 AM

I think the key here as phiz said is that you're not getting a ticket or being punished. Who cares if they DO keep the information so long as it doesn't result in you being charged with a crime, getting a ticket, insurance going up, etc? Now if any of that does happen, I would be very against a program where you are guilty based on some "witness" with no due process.

RobH 07-22-2009 05:58 PM

TxDOT is trying to distract everyone from all the toll roads they are planning to put up in the next few years. I see new signs all the time: Katy Freeway -- future toll road; SH 249 -- future toll road.

Chrisrp454 07-22-2009 07:14 PM

This has been up for over a year, I use it for smokers like last summer and this when we had burn bans and they throw them out the window!

phiz118 07-23-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vash (Post 707703)
The constitution provides for due process. This is a violation of that basic principle.

It's a chipping away of privacy and more towards a police state with less freedom and privacy. This is why it's a problem. If they can take an inch they will want a mile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Constitution - Fifth Amendment
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury...

The fifth amendment gives you the right to due process if you are being deprived of life, liberty, or property (i.e. fined, jailed, etc...). In this case, they are not asking you to answer for the crime, just notifying you that you may have committed one. How are they depriving you of life, liberty or property? Or how are they violating the constitution?

Should they spend 2 million on this effort? IMO NO, I believe it to be a huge waste of money, but I don't see the due process angle.

bballr4567 07-23-2009 02:23 AM

Isnt it also a huge waste of money to PAY inmates to clean up the roads as well? Sure, they dont make much but you still got to pay for all the logistics to get them to the roadside and all that.

BTW, Im from TX, born and raised but displaced now and will eventually make it back there. No greater state in the union!!!!