Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Need For Speed (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306091)

Jakeman 07-06-2013 03:43 PM

Need For Speed

Well today, I surpassed the speed of many cars. Jumped out of a plane that was doing about 120 mph and experienced freefall for a few minutes before the chute opened. Since this was the first jump I ever did, it was tandem. But I have to say, anyone who wants to experience true speed, this is it.

So ZL1 brethren, and all the Shelby owners who like to tout their quarter times against the ZL1, try the skydive, then it's only you and gravity.

This is the Jakeman challenge! :barf:

See how many can answer this thread and say they did it at least once.

Of course those that did this in the service of our country are a breed apart and have no more to prove. :headbang:

Sven59 07-06-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakeman (Post 6757340)
Well today, I surpassed the speed of many cars. Jumped out of a plane that was doing about 120 mph and experienced freefall for a few minutes before the chute opened. Since this was the first jump I ever did, it was tandem. But I have to say, anyone who wants to experience true speed, this is it.

So ZL1 brethren, and all the Shelby owners who like to tout their quarter times against the ZL1, try the skydive, then it's only you and gravity.

Of course those that did this in the service of our country are a breed apart and have no more to prove. :headbang:

I am sorry, but what does this have to do with a ZL1, come back when you jump out of the plane in the ZL1 then maybe.

Jakeman 07-06-2013 05:25 PM

What's the problem?

Sorry Guy. Get a sense of humor!

:noidea:

LuckyZL-1 07-06-2013 05:29 PM

I can fly the plane. Does that count?

2012-1822 07-06-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sven59 (Post 6757422)
I am sorry, but what does this have to do with a ZL1, come back when you jump out of the plane in the ZL1 then maybe.

As much as I'd like to see that, I'd hate to trash a ZL1, can't we do it in a GT500, nobody will miss one of those.

Jakeman 07-06-2013 08:40 PM

Lol

Glad you guys got the joke. Sort of tongue in cheek! Just jesting :happyanim:

jessrayo 07-07-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakeman (Post 6757340)

I don't know what kind of aircraft you jumped from but I had 32 jumps out of 4 different aircraft in years past. Not a ton but a few.... anyway they usually slow the aircraft to minimum stable velocity (about 45mph for most jump craft) before the jumpmaster lets a jumper out. It can easily take 3 minutes to get all the jumpers out and if the plane was doing 120 they would be spread 6 miles apart. Plus terminal freefall velocity even in a delta is around 120, ZL1 can easily hit that in fourth gear... I agree that first step is a rush but the actual speeds in skydiving are nothing compared to what any modern V8 is capable of.

LuckyZL-1 07-07-2013 03:06 PM

That's what I was sure of also. You slow plane to just above stall speed let everyone out and go.

Jakeman 07-07-2013 06:56 PM

I'll check and get back on the numbers

jessrayo 07-07-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakeman (Post 6760872)
I'll check and get back on the numbers

Hey, don't get me wrong... I know that a lot of people don't have the guts to literally put there butt out in the breeze like that. I used to get so much adrenaline going that after I landed I could hardly loosen the straps and get out of the harness because my hands were shaking.....Congrats!

Jakeman 07-10-2013 09:12 AM

Info

Thanks. It is exhilarating and hard to judge everything, esp. first time.

Instructor said plane speed was about 60 knots (1.15 knots to 1 mph) with a head wind of about 15 to 20 mph. So force on the jumper is equivalent to about 80- 90 mph.

Top drop velocity is 120 mph.

kstl01 07-10-2013 09:34 AM

I did it and had an adrenaline headache after. I love my Z but skydiving is the ultimate rush.

JDP Sales 07-10-2013 12:53 PM

I've done it once. It was definitely an experience! I remember it was over 100* that day, but the air still felt cold while falling. Cheeks flapping and all! LOL

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

casper73 07-10-2013 01:49 PM

Did it got the shirt and keep going back! But i would not give up my ZL. I can drive all day and night if i like. Tandem is fun but solo is the best( from 13000 ft ). Just remember to do what makes you smile and let the rest of the wold dream. Good luck.