Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Camaro5 Store? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33622)

Aaron1121 07-22-2009 12:02 AM

Camaro5 Store?

I think this site is absolutely great, but have a couple of quick questions for the mods/owners.

1.) Is there a future plan for a Camaro5 store?

A lot of other car enthusiast sites have online stores with special group buy pricing. It would be nice if we had one here, instead of just the group buy threads.

2.) Are there any plans for any "official" Camaro5 parts comparison tests?

A lot of times if a site has a store, participating vendors can be persuaded to provide demo parts to the site owners. I think it is absolutely great that so many aftermarket intakes and exhaust systems are already available for the Camaro. However, it would be nice to know which parts actually work well, and which ones loose horsepower. I think that several of the vendors on this site are good, but there are others I really doubt the HP claims they are making. There is nothing you can really do if you buy a part and it does not make the HP as advertised.

A couple of other boards I was on in the past would have parts shootouts. They would strap 1 car to a dyno, and test out 4 or 5 intake systems on the same car, resetting the computer between runs and eliminating as many variables as possible. The results were always very interesting. About 75% of the parts didn't meet the HP claims, and many LOST POWER. There is nothing worse than spending you hard earned money to loose power. :barf:

I had a friend that worked at a local tuner shop, and ran the dyno. (I won't say which one, because I still get a discount on parts! :) ) He showed me how easy it was to fake 10-20 HP from most mods. The shop would have customers come in and push for a certain brand of exhaust or intake they read about online, instead of taking the shop recommendation with items they already had experience with. So, the shop would take 3 stock dyno runs when the car first came in hot. Then they would take 3 runs after installation with the car cool. They would usually provide the worst stock run and the best after mod run to the customer for comparison. If they really needed to fudge the results, they would just mess with the dyno correction factor or calibration settings, or use several other methods to mess with the results.

I'm not saying that vendors here would do intentionally lie, but they may stretch the truth and the numbers.

NitroSpeed 07-22-2009 12:04 AM

Awesome. We can make way more stuff on this site.

JewelZ 07-22-2009 12:26 AM

Yes a Camaro5 store is a great idea.

Aaron1121 07-22-2009 12:43 AM

bah....

My post was banished from the general forum to the site suggestions forum. It might as well be dead. Oh well......

Tran 07-22-2009 12:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and compliment on the site.

1) There are no plans at this time for a parts store
2) We don't plan to run independent tests of parts, but will rely on our members for independent dynos of aftermarket parts. Any false claims will easily come to light once independent dynos are posted.

Again, thank you.

Milk 1027 07-22-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron1121 (Post 707966)
bah....

My post was banished from the general forum to the site suggestions forum. It might as well be dead. Oh well......

I moved it. Just seemed to fit better in this section

DGthe3 07-22-2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron1121 (Post 707966)
bah....

Its a site related suggestion/question ... did you think we would leave it where it was? Anyway, although most members don't frequent this area too much, the staff does.