Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   GM: Faster TapShift Response gives ZL1 Auto an Edge (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204755)

Mr. Wyndham 02-22-2012 12:01 PM

GM: Faster TapShift Response gives ZL1 Auto an Edge

Quote:

Staged up-shifts improve Camaro’s manual-mode performance by up to 60 percent
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/n.../0222_tapshift

DETROIT – When the new 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 arrives this spring, performance car enthusiasts will experience the hands-on driving satisfaction of a “stick” with the ease of an automatic transmission due to General Motors’ newly improved TapShift technology.

Since its introduction several years ago, TapShift has allowed drivers to control up- and down-shifts with paddle shifters. For 2012, GM powertrain engineers implemented a patent-pending software algorithm that improves tap response time by up to 60 percent compared to the previous system. No hardware changes were required for the upgrade.

“The faster you can get to the next gear, the better, and from the sound of it, the ZL1 automatic’s performance is going to make paddle shifting more exhilarating and satisfying for drivers of all skill sets,” said Eric Fedewa , director of Global Powertrain Forecasting at IHS Automotive. “We’re seeing a trend toward more manual-mode-capable, fun-to-drive automatic transmissions across all vehicle segments, and GM’s technology is leading the pack.”

The 2012 ZL1’s six-speed automatic transmission delivers a 0-60 time of 3.9 seconds – a tenth of a second faster than the manual transmission time.

By staging hydraulic pressure in the clutch for the next gear, the new control module algorithm reduces tap delay for the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 up-shifts by 200-300 milliseconds. The system anticipates shift requests based on current gear, throttle, torque and speed. By pre-filling the clutch for the next gear, the tap up-shift response is near instantaneous.

“As great as the previous system’s performance was, we were driven to achieve even better results,” said Gabe Gibson, GM performance car calibration engineer. “Not only did we make the upgrade to Camaro, we implemented it on the 2012 Corvette as well, and will use it on all vehicles with TapShift control going forward.”

Staged up-shifts will help drivers of the 2012 ZL1 – the most powerful production Camaro ever – get the most out of its supercharged 6.2L engine that is SAE-rated at 580 horsepower (432 kW) and 556 lb.-ft. of torque (754 Nm).

ZL1 customers’ choice of an automatic 6L90 transmission with TapShift manual mode or a six-speed manual transmission is unmatched in its class. With 0 to 60 taking 3.9 seconds, and a top speed of 184 mph, the power and acceleration of the ZL1 automatic rivals many supercars.

“We think Camaro drivers will really appreciate the performance improvement offered by staged up-shifts, whether they’re merging onto the freeway or putting their ZL1 through its paces at the track,” Gibson said.

The Camaro ZL1 Coupe will go on sale this spring as a 2012 model. The Camaro ZL1 Convertible will go on sale this summer as a 2013 model. Chevrolet expects the automatic transmission to command up to 50 percent of ZL1 sales.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.
Pretty cool!!

Here's a VIDEO of the shift response. Damn quick, if you ask me!! :thumbsup:

radz28 02-22-2012 12:10 PM

Thanks, Joe...

I don't think this makes someone like me make any clearer a decision after seeing and listening that video...

:D Great find! Now - let's see some owners with some +3XXX-stall converters!!! Low-11s (on DRs) anyone? :D

2ndCamaro79 02-22-2012 12:13 PM

Sweeeeeeeeeeet, my only question is why did the magazines not test a auto ZL1:mad0260: Road & Track as well as Automobile Magazine were quoted as saying there was one there during testing:iono: Posting the auto ZL1 times could have avoided the times for the ZL1 being all over the place.

radz28 02-22-2012 12:14 PM

There was a review in maybe Car & Driver where it was their opinion the shifting was abrupt during some driving situations. They were not displeased, as I guess they left it in "Auto" mode, but they didn't like the timing or something...

motorhead 02-22-2012 12:23 PM

Glad I changed to the auto. Now if it were only here. Great read! Thanks!

PYROLYSIS 02-22-2012 12:26 PM

Does this mean the SS and V-6 autos will have improved tapshifts?

Blake_GM 02-22-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS (Post 4524656)
Does this mean the SS and V-6 autos will have improved tapshifts?

Also curious about this for future models and if it is simply a "software change" shouldn't it be available as a firmware update to existing owners?

ZL1 stuff makes everything better. :chevy:

CFD 02-22-2012 12:29 PM

It also claims no hardware changes and the improvement is in the software, I wonder if our cars can be upgraded?

Joebot8484 02-22-2012 12:47 PM

That awesome, although I ordered a stick, I would still like to try out paddle shifting:drool:

G8GT4now 02-22-2012 01:20 PM

It sounded like all those shifts in the video were WOT upshifts. I'd be curious to see how part throttle upshifts as well as downshifts are improved over previous software algorithms.

MyIBMssRS 02-22-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blake_GM (Post 4524663)
Also curious about this for future models and if it is simply a "software change" shouldn't it be available as a firmware update to existing owners?

ZL1 stuff makes everything better. :chevy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFD (Post 4524673)
It also claims no hardware changes and the improvement is in the software, I wonder if our cars can be upgraded?

I'd like to know if this software would be available to '10s and '11s as well.

MR-02 02-22-2012 01:41 PM

GM please read this

gm would make a million dollars a day on this alone! I see no reason any l99 owner wouldnt buy a gm approved tune to increase tap shift response. The only barrier right now to any tune is loss of warranty. That Gabe Gibson engineer should get a nice bonus too.
Lets push for GM to make this new algorithim available to current L99 owners as well.:headbang:

Team L99

PNYSLAR 02-22-2012 01:53 PM

Sticking with the M6, but it sounds like a win-win for GM

duffmobile 02-22-2012 02:08 PM

another vote for this on my 10'! Let's make it happen GM.