Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Who is truly happy with the hp their Zl1 is making? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321634)

big dave 10-05-2013 02:10 PM

Who is truly happy with the hp their Zl1 is making?

The ZL1 is a great car. It has so much technology tied into its' structure. The thing is, horsepower is key. The ZL1 is quick..but is it quick enough? After a few trips to the track, I can say mine has gotten boring. Low 12s is cool, but low 11s would be even better.

Resisting the urge to molest this car has been an exercise in restraint. I want to keep my warranty. Though my car has gone into the 11s already, it's just not exciting. Every stock GT500 I've seen at the track has come dangerously close to hitting the wall. That's the kind of power I'm looking for. ;)

NicKey 10-05-2013 02:28 PM

Cool and fun cars just as they are. However, for the Hi-Performance Junkies there is much more to be attained.

Once you've had the big HP its very difficult to live with going bacwards : )

The NicKey Stage I option adds 100 rwhp and our Stage II better than 200 rwhp.

I can remember when Camaros only had 200rwhp or less!

I'm not saying this as a shop owner, but as a ZL-1 owner.

Wezbad1 10-05-2013 02:28 PM

It will never be enough. For every plateau you hit, it will get boring and you will spend more to reach a new level. Its just the way it is. Welcome to the world of speed and horsepower.

cam99 10-05-2013 03:06 PM

Its a never ending cycle. I wouldn't be happy with a stock Zl1, not that mine is super modified, but that is me. I have to screw around with every car I have otherwise they just get boring. I am very happy with were mine is track wise (however stuck at 11.0 is very frustrating!) but even that is getting old. I am planning on doing some autocross or roadracing with it to mix things up. I've always been a 1/4 mile guy so it will be fun to try new things

Black cherry LS6 10-05-2013 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=
Once you've had the big HP its very difficult to live with going bacwards : )[/QUOTE]

You can say that again! I'm hooked and love the additional 200+rwhp!! It's hard to not want more. :thumb:

big dave 10-05-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cam99 (Post 7066276)
Its a never ending cycle. I wouldn't be happy with a stock Zl1, not that mine is super modified, but that is me. I have to screw around with every car I have otherwise they just get boring. I am very happy with were mine is track wise (however stuck at 11.0 is very frustrating!) but even that is getting old. I am planning on doing some autocross or roadracing with it to mix things up. I've always been a 1/4 mile guy so it will be fun to try new things

I think I will pattern my Z around yours..minus skinnies. 12.0s is very boring. Thankfully my other street car runs 10.9s.

bumblebeecamaro 10-05-2013 08:19 PM

My stock ZL1's HP has become boring to me. It is nice though having a warranty which means if my LSA grenades then it's on GM's dime. That piece of mind is how I deal with being bored of "only" 580HP. lol

So for now I spend my money on mods that don't affect my car's warranty which means it makes my Z a little different from the stock crowds.

http://imageshack.us/a/img812/1796/4aj0.jpg

motorhead 10-05-2013 08:32 PM

I'm very happy with mine. 580HP is more than enough for a street car. I wish it was about 800 pound lighter though.

Sven59 10-05-2013 08:53 PM

Funny, the most powerful Camaro ever produced and already it isn't enough!

StealthZL1 10-05-2013 09:05 PM

I've got more than enough HP for cruising around Vegas and back and forth to the LA area. I saw a small increase in HP after installing my Roto-Fab cold air intake. I have no complaints.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/06/aha7ehyh.jpg

white ZL1 10-05-2013 10:24 PM

These cars feel so smooth that they don't feel like 580hp in my opinion. And the weight doesn't help either.
My SS felt a whole lot faster than the ZL1 does, a whole lot. And it was only 430rwhp.

That said, I'm ready for a bit more power too.

AMMUSCLE 10-05-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big dave (Post 7066184)
The ZL1 is a great car. It has so much technology tied into its' structure. The thing is, horsepower is key. The ZL1 is quick..but is it quick enough? After a few trips to the track, I can say mine has gotten boring. Low 12s is cool, but low 11s would be even better.

Resisting the urge to molest this car has been an exercise in restraint. I want to keep my warrentee. Though my car has gone into the 11s already, it's just not exciting. Every stock GT500 I've seen at the track has come dangerously close to hitting the wall. That's the kind of power I'm looking for. ;)

HP is so addicting :biggrin:

Just like crack, never get enough :frusty:

More is better :pound:

Sorry honey the bank account is empty :paddle:

I promise I'll stop after this mod :lol:

Ok so I lied but this is it really I swear on my Pickup truck( never swear on your ZL1) :help:

What now an intervention with your family, I hope you called my friends from Camaro5 :sm1::grouphug::grouphug:

el ess A 10-05-2013 11:14 PM

I dunno. I'm kinda satisfied with it. I'm past my prime for the "need for speed". That's why I opted for the 'vert. I still love the power it has, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't have to be the baddest kid on the block to appreciate it.

JackalopeZL1 10-05-2013 11:18 PM

I have owned mine 2 days.. SO far so good..lol