Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Thinking about these audio upgrades, let me know your thoughts (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338768)

ben3350 01-23-2014 09:51 PM

Thinking about these audio upgrades, let me know your thoughts

Thinking about getting these for my 2010 Camaro. I have the BA system, my right door speaker is blown so using this opportunity to upgrade all my audio in the car. I just want to make sure that what I'm doing is smart and will give me great sound.

- Replacing side doors and tweeters with JL C5-650 component speakers
- Replacing factory amp with JL XD400/4 to power the JL component speakers (leaving rear BA speakers in, please let me know if this is a good idea and if I will run into any problems)
- Adding in 1 single JL 10w7 sub in a JL spec ported sub box
- Powering sub with JL 500/1V2

That's all I've got so far. I feel that the front speakers are going to be heard more so going all out on them and leaving the rear stock. I want the front speakers to sound crystal clear with little to barely any bass and have all the bass come from the sub.

Is this a good/smart setup? Just want to make sure this is a good way to go before I pull the trigger and order all these items.

Caddyroger 01-23-2014 10:32 PM

You might to get one of these from ********. It a wiring adapter so you do not ned to cut any of your Camaro wiring. You just unplug the wiring connector form the car and plug in the adapter. then just plug in the rca plugs and just connect the 8 wire for your speakers.

http://********.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=338

You could get this mounting board so you can use the space where the ba amp is at.

http://********.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=316

I have the board and JL XD400/4 amp installed that way.

Knockoutpie 01-23-2014 10:52 PM

It sounds like you're on the right track but if you go to any audio convention or get an audio guy in your car you'll probably get criticized. Personally i'd upgrade all the speakers even the rear. If you get good enough tweeters they're sound awesome and you'll have no need for a pair of speakers that are a comp set (with a tweeter in the speaker) You'll have so much high freq notes in there it might sound annoying.

Upgrade your front or rear speakers to a pair that are built for midrange.. You don't want all high note in the car and low note from the sub then you're missing the most important part which is the midrange.

Low - Subwoofer
Mid - Mid range speakers
High - Tweeters/comp set of speakers

I can't really put it into words...

http://www.ebay.com/gds/5-Things-to-...7631327/g.html

Read that link, it goes over mid, high, and low.

Now as far as the rear speakers go, I really would replace them, It's a good idea.. I know it's a bit of a hassle but it's worth it, although you really don't hear them that much, they do play a key role in the process.

ben3350 01-23-2014 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knockoutpie (Post 7363204)
It sounds like you're on the right track but if you go to any audio convention or get an audio guy in your car you'll probably get criticized. Personally i'd upgrade all the speakers even the rear. If you get good enough tweeters they're sound awesome and you'll have no need for a pair of speakers that are a comp set (with a tweeter in the speaker) You'll have so much high freq notes in there it might sound annoying.

Upgrade your front or rear speakers to a pair that are built for midrange.. You don't want all high note in the car and low note from the sub then you're missing the most important part which is the midrange.

Low - Subwoofer
Mid - Mid range speakers
High - Tweeters/comp set of speakers

I can't really put it into words...

http://www.ebay.com/gds/5-Things-to-...7631327/g.html

Read that link, it goes over mid, high, and low.

Now as far as the rear speakers go, I really would replace them, It's a good idea.. I know it's a bit of a hassle but it's worth it, although you really don't hear them that much, they do play a key role in the process.

Thanks for the info! What exactly are you referring to that my car would get criticized for? Is it for not replacing the rears or is it for the choice of speakers and subs etc?

I was under the impression that the C5-650's would provide highs and mids, not just highs. I thought the component speaker provided mids and the separate tweeter on the C5 provided the highs. So I may have to rethink this. You really think replacing the rears will make that much of a difference? What would you suggest that would give me a good bit of highs and mids? Would the stock BA rear speakers be okay for mids for the time being?

I don't plan on taking my car to any audio conventions or anything like that, this is really just for my personal use. I just want high quality audio running through my car. But it looks like I will be shelling out a good amount of money so I want to make sure it sounds good for the price.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddyroger (Post 7363144)
You might to get one of these from ********. It a wiring adapter so you do not ned to cut any of your Camaro wiring. You just unplug the wiring connector form the car and plug in the adapter. then just plug in the rca plugs and just connect the 8 wire for your speakers.

http://********.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=338

You could get this mounting board so you can use the space where the ba amp is at.

http://********.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=316

I have the board and JL XD400/4 amp installed that way.

Okay thank you I will get these!

Knockoutpie 01-24-2014 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben3350 (Post 7363235)
Thanks for the info! What exactly are you referring to that my car would get criticized for? Is it for not replacing the rears or is it for the choice of speakers and subs etc?

I was under the impression that the C5-650's would provide highs and mids, not just highs. I thought the component speaker provided mids and the separate tweeter on the C5 provided the highs. So I may have to rethink this. You really think replacing the rears will make that much of a difference? What would you suggest that would give me a good bit of highs and mids? Would the stock BA rear speakers be okay for mids for the time being?

I don't plan on taking my car to any audio conventions or anything like that, this is really just for my personal use. I just want high quality audio running through my car. But it looks like I will be shelling out a good amount of money so I want to make sure it sounds good for the price.

Okay thank you I will get these!

I'll have to get back to you in the morning. I'll do some research for you but for a quality system all that stock stuff needs to be replaced imo you want a equal amount of mids and highs in the system but don't want it to be drowned in the high notes.

grocerygetter 01-24-2014 06:43 AM

There's nothing wrong with leaving stock speakers back there for rear fill purposes with primary sound coming from the nice replacements you have chosen, however, pay attention to the ohm load of the stockers vs your aftermarket choice. I would think you could turn the gains off on the rears and bump the gain a hair...maybe 1/8th-1/4 for the fronts. I think you have a good plan. You should also pick a sub.

SS Joey 01-24-2014 10:55 AM

I got the c5-650's in front and Jl C2350 in the back (convertible) and a 1200.4 crunch amp...I was not happy with the sound of the JL speakers, they were very high pitch and clear but no mid range or bass at all...I replaced the fornts with Pioneer 500w and sound much better...added to more drivers to the back and 2 3.5s to the foot well...now trying to figure out which sub/amp to go with in the stock spot (dont want a w7 because I dont want to deal with the rattling, prefer just a little bass that sounds clean with the highs...any suggestions?

ben3350 01-24-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grocerygetter (Post 7363555)
There's nothing wrong with leaving stock speakers back there for rear fill purposes with primary sound coming from the nice replacements you have chosen, however, pay attention to the ohm load of the stockers vs your aftermarket choice. I would think you could turn the gains off on the rears and bump the gain a hair...maybe 1/8th-1/4 for the fronts. I think you have a good plan. You should also pick a sub.

What do you mean I should pick a sub? Aside from the 10w7? Or are you talking about something else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS Joey (Post 7364070)
I got the c5-650's in front and Jl C2350 in the back (convertible) and a 1200.4 crunch amp...I was not happy with the sound of the JL speakers, they were very high pitch and clear but no mid range or bass at all...I replaced the fornts with Pioneer 500w and sound much better...added to more drivers to the back and 2 3.5s to the foot well...now trying to figure out which sub/amp to go with in the stock spot (dont want a w7 because I dont want to deal with the rattling, prefer just a little bass that sounds clean with the highs...any suggestions?

Hmm... this is very worrisome. I was told the JL C5's were great sounding. Even the place I'm getting them installed told me they were going to sound great with the setup I mentioned earlier. Are the C5-650's really that lacking in mids? Since I already ordered the speakers is there something I can do to accommodate the lack of mids? I definitely want mid range not just highs.

Knockoutpie 01-24-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben3350 (Post 7364433)
What do you mean I should pick a sub? Aside from the 10w7? Or are you talking about something else?

Hmm... this is very worrisome. I was told the JL C5's were great sounding. Even the place I'm getting them installed told me they were going to sound great with the setup I mentioned earlier. Are the C5-650's really that lacking in mids? Since I already ordered the speakers is there something I can do to accommodate the lack of mids? I definitely want mid range not just highs.

Most items purchased have a return policy, if most things I buy on ebay have a 14 day return policy just don't open them, if you love high pitch crystal clear tones like symbols and birds chirping keep the speakers, but if you want to hear the actual voice of the singer, you're going to need some nice mids. Believe me when I had all high notes Taylor swift sounded ear bleedingly good!

http://i42.tinypic.com/xghdac.png

Now i'm not saing your speakers are bad because believe me they're not. But they're a component set, meaning you're going to get some highs some mids and some lows. I mean personally if you get a good set of tweeters to take all the highs for you then you can get some nice mid range speakers. Basically the numbers are what you're looking for. It kind of makes sense though, Db @ 1 watt/1meter, That's the line you're looking for for how loud it's going to be based on the wattage and sensitivity of the speaker. FZ is the frequency the speaker will pick up the mid range FZ looks like it's about 300-5000hz you're JL pick up upto 25k hz, that's way over a midrange speaker.

This is not a professional opinion.

SS Joey 01-24-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben3350 (Post 7364433)

After I had them installed my audio guy recommended adding drivers to the back...I left the JL c2650's in the front and added Pioneer 500x 6.5's to the back and a driver tweeter on each side in the back (had to do some cutting)...it sounds much better now, just no bass at all. I am ordering the JL 10w7 and JL hd750.1 with ******** stealth box, hopefully should fix the lack of bass problem :thumbsup:

ben3350 01-24-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knockoutpie (Post 7364785)
Most items purchased have a return policy, if most things I buy on ebay have a 14 day return policy just don't open them, if you love high pitch crystal clear tones like symbols and birds chirping keep the speakers, but if you want to hear the actual voice of the singer, you're going to need some nice mids. Believe me when I had all high notes Taylor swift sounded ear bleedingly good!

http://i42.tinypic.com/xghdac.png

Now i'm not saing your speakers are bad because believe me they're not. But they're a component set, meaning you're going to get some highs some mids and some lows. I mean personally if you get a good set of tweeters to take all the highs for you then you can get some nice mid range speakers. Basically the numbers are what you're looking for. It kind of makes sense though, Db @ 1 watt/1meter, That's the line you're looking for for how loud it's going to be based on the wattage and sensitivity of the speaker. FZ is the frequency the speaker will pick up the mid range FZ looks like it's about 300-5000hz you're JL pick up upto 25k hz, that's way over a midrange speaker.

This is not a professional opinion.

Thank you, this is very helpful information.

Although, if I was having issues with too many highs and not enough mids, couldn't I just adjust the highs to be less and up the mids on my amp or head unit? Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm still learning lol

SS Joey 01-24-2014 04:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics...I originally ordered the JL c2650's for the front and JL c2350's for the back...I wasnt happy with the overall sound. So I added 1 driver to each side in the back and added Pioneer 6.5 speakers to the back (had to cut metal to fit) and moved the 3.5's to the footwells (had to cut to fit)....sounds great now. JL 10w7 and JL hd750.1 coming next week, should complete the setup

Also put up a pic of the Scosche kit in Carbon Fiber (matching the hood)...looks great if anyone is thinking about getting the CF scosche

Knockoutpie 01-24-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben3350 (Post 7364805)
Thank you, this is very helpful information.

Although, if I was having issues with too many highs and not enough mids, couldn't I just adjust the highs to be less and up the mids on my amp or head unit? Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I'm still learning lol

It's a little more difficult to adjust. You can adjust the volume of the highs and turn up the mid but regardless the speaker is still going to produce that 25k hz frequency. It will just produce it at a lower sound. Or you can buy a speaker that will not be able to produce that high note so it will just be solid and flat mids.

ben3350 01-24-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knockoutpie (Post 7365159)
It's a little more difficult to adjust. You can adjust the volume of the highs and turn up the mid but regardless the speaker is still going to produce that 25k hz frequency. It will just produce it at a lower sound. Or you can buy a speaker that will not be able to produce that high note so it will just be solid and flat mids.

Okay well thanks for all the info!

I'm still going to go with the C5 I think. If I end up not liking them (which is now seeming to be much more likely), then I will just put them in my other car and get something else for the camaro.

I appreciate everyone's input. It looks like the sub amp and sub are going to be a shoe in to sound good, I'll just have to decide on the C5's, I'll never really know until I put them in my car. Scheduled an appointment at my local reputable profession installer for next friday.