Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Should i Mod my 2SS or sell it and buy a ZL1 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175813)

redirish 10-09-2011 11:59 AM

Should i Mod my 2SS or sell it and buy a ZL1

Sorry if this was posted before, I couldn't find anything on this topic.
If I sell my 2010 2SS/RS the blue book on it is around $33,500. If the ZL1 is going to be approx $53,500 the net lost would be $20,000. I haven't done any serious mods on my car to date which is good if I am going to sell it. If I do a supercharger/exhaust/short shifter and any other interior/underhood/wheels mods you got to figure I will spend at least $10,000 plus. Anyone else in this position trying to decided what to do?

archtaan 10-09-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redirish (Post 3860831)
If I sell my 2010 2SS/RS the blue book on it is around $33,500. If the ZL1 is going to be approx $53,500 the net lost would be $20,000. I haven't done any serious mods on my car to date which is good if I am going to sell it. If I do a supercharger/exhaust/short shifter and any other interior/underhood/wheels mods you got to figure I will spend at least $10,000 plus. Anyone else in this position trying to decided what to do?

Go with the ZL-1 if you are thinking about it. It will nag at you forever and eventually you will regret what could have. Its more than just a blown motor and the package to duplicate will likely run you more than $20K. Start with the ZL-1 platform and you have a warranty, you will have resale if needed and possibly more performance potential. We have already seen its killer n-ring performance, cant wait to see its straight line times. Dont discount the SS's performance ability but I imagine a lot of people debate this type of choice when deciding to trade A GT in for a GT500.

- Tim

2012ZL1 10-09-2011 12:49 PM

Unless you are close to a race track to use the ZL1 purposefully, mod the SS. The ZL1 is not a street car apparently.

redirish 10-09-2011 01:10 PM

I do live close to a track! I can't wait to see the video of the ZL1 at the track. I agree with you archtaan. I guess I am looking for someone who has the view point of why they would keep the SS over the ZL1 besides the money. Maybe I should have post this question in the general discussion section LOL

MR 45TH 10-09-2011 01:16 PM

If you can swing a ZL1 then I would :D

slick rick 10-09-2011 01:23 PM

ZL1 FTW

Blue Menace 10-09-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012ZL1 (Post 3860963)
Unless you are close to a race track to use the ZL1 purposefully, mod the SS. The ZL1 is not a street car apparently.

From what I understand, this will be a very streetable car. Regardless, I'll certainly treat it that way.

GbrilliantQ 10-09-2011 01:36 PM

If you can swing the coin, get the ZL1. Remember though, you can build a faster ss, than a stock ZL1..

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

BiggFoot 10-09-2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redirish (Post 3860831)

Even though I dont currently own a Camaro, I sort of know what you are going through because I had to deal with this myself (sort of). I could have owned a SS modded to the gills over a year ago but even the tuner talked a little sense into me . . . In the end it will still be an SS, NOT a ZL1 . . . so I opted to wait for the ZL1.

The big question is . . . do you love your car? If so, then keep it! Any of the respectable tuners that frequent this forum can build you a ZL1 like beast by starting with your SS. If you do it right it wont be cheap and you will be missing a few perks such as the new generation MR suspension and dual mode exhaust, but I am thinking you will be happy with your SS.

Z_Rocks 10-09-2011 04:57 PM

What is ZL1???
ZL1 is GM's answer to those who want to mod/upgrade SS for more power, better handling, warranty and ton of R&D behind it.

Can you match what GM has done with ZL1??? By the time you're done, you have spent more money on SS than a new ZL1 under warranty.

SS should be left as is and for the bigger bite, I let t he pros (GM) do all the mods for me... Go ZL1!!!

Dcasandman 10-09-2011 05:05 PM

If you want to just go straight I'd mod it myself. If you want to actually go to the track I think the ZL1 is the way to go. From experience in another brand by the time you upgrade power alone the correct way your looking at 10-15k to do it really right. Then another 3-5k on brakes, 2-4k on wheels and tires, 2-4k on suspension, 2-3k on upgraded clutch/transmission, and I could keep going. Then you will need to pay someone that knows what they are doing to adjust your suspension or you'll be better off stock cause you can really screw that up. Then of coarse after you do all that the correct way you blow your engine and guess what. You warranty is void.

SUX2BU 10-09-2011 06:19 PM

If I had a ZL1 i would mod it anyways so there goes the warranty. I would rather save some money and have a MUCH better performing car that I can take pride in because I built it myself. If you have money to burn and know you do not want to mod the car at all, go with the ZL1.

BTW, when was the last time you heard a car guy say "This car has more than enough power/handling, I'm not doing anything to it." LOL

Rogan 10-09-2011 06:21 PM

I'm modding and will make the move to the ZL1 after I move into a house. Might keep the SS or sale. Don't know yet. But the ZL1 for Road Course is pure drool.

Kluch 10-09-2011 11:54 PM

Sell the SS and get the ZL1. You can always mod it when you are tired of a warranty.